Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
LHaven

Brake wiring part?

Pulled into our campsite yesterday, DW says there is something hanging inside the tire area. It looks like somehow the brake wiring plugs have been pulled out of the wheel. They've been pretty much scrubbed down by the road, so I'm gonna have to replace them. My Dexter axle manual says nothing about what this part is or how it needs to be connected (the ports on the wheel are obvious, but I don't know if they have to go in in a certain order or orientation). Each of these rubber plugs has two wires on it, but the black wires have been trimmed off and look like they've either never been connected to anything, or a rat has chewed them off flush. I'm betting on the former, since the live cables are two different colors. So do I just buy this part, clip the old ones off the wires, and put on a heat shrink weatherproof butt connector? And what's the part?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A45B8E3-2888-47CF-976A-A8457BF5DF0C.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	37485  
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:34 AM   #2
markcee

Isn't that the crimp from the brake magnet to the trailer wiring?

I had to track down an issue last year with a magnet and cut all 4 sets of these wires and reconnected one at a time to determine which was bad. At any rate, user on a Ford forum I had posted my issue at recommended these for reconnection:

3M Scotchlok Connectors

He also recommended a dab of petroleum jelly in each one to guard against corrosion.

As an FYI, my crimps were always visible - not tucked into the backer or anything. Curious what others say about that.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Those are Scotch lock connectors that are dirty. It just connects the wires from the brake magnets to the wiring harness. The brake "magnets" are just encapsulated coils so they are not polarity specific.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

As Marshall said, those are waterproof scotch locks. If all your brakes work, leave them be. They are ALWAYS on the back outside of the backing plate.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:37 PM   #5
LHaven

My photography is probably sucky from being on my back underneath the trailer, but I don't think those are Scotch lock connectors. They're not connected to anything. In retrospect, I probably should've tried to clean them off before photographing them, but it was pretty cold and I just wanted to get out of there. They look like two rubber plugs with four holes each in them, except that the holes are filled with dirt because they got dragged down the road. If you look closely at the photo, you will probably see the four dots of dirt on the end of each one. And I see two oblong holes at the bottom of the rear of the wheel hub that look like these things are supposed to be plugged into them. Again, maybe I need to go look at another wheel where these wires are connected properly and see where they go.

If they are indeed Scotch lock connectors, then they connect to black wires that go nowhere. You can see the ends of those black wires in the photo. And I don't see anything on the back of the wheel that looks like the other half of those black wires.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

I think this is what you have ... https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...QaAuFuEALw_wcB
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

2 wires come out of the brake backing plates. You’ll have 2 wires coming out of the axle. One one side you’ll have 2 wires coming out of the underbelly.

Polarity isn’t important, just make sure the “2” wire side has brake wires hooked to “supply” wires. On the “3” side same thing just make sure brake wires are hooked up to the supply AND the supply to the other side.

Hope it makes sense, if not PM me.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #8
LHaven

Yup, you're both 100% right. I couldn't get my head between the tires to inspect the wire routing, so I took a photo of the problem wheel and the opposite wheel.

It looks like the wiring is sheared off pretty much at the wheel entrance, so I assume this means I'm going to need the magnets replaced. It's about time I scheduled my bearings to be done, so I'll have the mechanic deal with this at the same time. Thanks, all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8774.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	37530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8776.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	37531  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
Third Degree

It looks like you could get a butt connector on the end of where the wheel is and reconnect the wires.
Third Degree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring