Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #1
RickV

Which way is on?

Picked up the 5er on Saturday after they completed some of the warranty work. They are having to order stuff to do the rest. When I go to hook it up the batteries are dead or at least too low to power up the Jack controller. They bring a jump box and I hookup and leave. Today was the first time I had to check things out. I am not sure if they turned off the secondary kill switch that runs the fridge inverter it is way up inside the front box and I can't make out which way is on. It appears it is pic #2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12406.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	37381   Click image for larger version

Name:	12405.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	37382  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #2
Javi

Photo #2 is on
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:39 AM   #3
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Photo #2 is on
Thanks I thought so.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
travelin texans

From this point on I wouldn't use that switch, I'd either disconnect the negative cable going to ground from the battery or add a switch to that negative cable so it totally disconnects all DC voltage. That original switch does not/will not prevent your battery from being dead in a few days due the parasite drains still connected.
Also if the dealer has let your batterie go totally dead for any length of time I'd say they owe you some batteries, they'll likely never hold a charge for any length of time & you'll be replacing them sooner than later.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #5
markcee

Apologies for the semi thread hijack, but since it was mentioned that the battery drained while in for service I figured I'd jump in....

Twice our trailer has needed the dealership's jump box to get hitched up after service because they left the battery disconnect on. Now, not quite two years in and I just replaced my battery as it no longer holds a charge for any length of time when in use. Is this, and/or not removing the negative cable common practice at dealerships? Sort of surprised since letting it discharge completely significantly shortens battery life.

I know one thing....my old battery is good enough for any trips in for service. I'm going to hang on to it just for that purpose.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I think dealerships 1) don't think, or even know, what completely depleting a battery does to it and 2) don't have any procedures to follow to assure they don't drain, repeatedly, a customer's battery.

I've had it happen twice at the same dealer. First time they jumped me off and I took it home. Within a few months I had to replace the batteries (they were almost new). 2nd time they drained them by leaving the emergency brake cable pulled. Dead as a door nail when I tried to pick it up. Drove back to the office, got the service manager and told him to call me when I had 2 new batteries on the trailer.....he did. When I came back I brought him a chart showing what various levels of depletion did to a battery along with a checklist I told him I wanted them to follow anytime my unit came in (and should be used for anyone else as well). Told him to note my file that any time I came back in and found dead batteries we were going to repeat the battery replacement routine - I've not returned to dead batteries but I have returned to get it with it plugged into a 50A plug so don't know if they were recharging after they were dead or what. So far the batteries haven't given me any trouble.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
dutchmensport

For the OP: Just remember, this kill switch goes only to inverter. Also, on the actual inverter is an "on-off" switch or button. If the button is "off" the inverter does not run. I never mess with this switch. If I want the inverter for the refrigerator turned off, I turn it off at the inverter with the button. If I use that kill switch, the inverter turns off also. But when I turn the kill switch back on, I still have to press the "on-off" button again on the inverter to turn it back on anyway. So, I just use the button on the inverter.

I don't think there is any parasitic draw on the inverter when the inverter button is off. But yes, there are other parasitic draws on your battery. If you truly want everything, truly dead, the switch on the negative ground cable is the easiest way to do it.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
For the OP: Just remember, this kill switch goes only to inverter. Also, on the actual inverter is an "on-off" switch or button. If the button is "off" the inverter does not run. I never mess with this switch. If I want the inverter for the refrigerator turned off, I turn it off at the inverter with the button. If I use that kill switch, the inverter turns off also. But when I turn the kill switch back on, I still have to press the "on-off" button again on the inverter to turn it back on anyway. So, I just use the button on the inverter.

I don't think there is any parasitic draw on the inverter when the inverter button is off. But yes, there are other parasitic draws on your battery. If you truly want everything, truly dead, the switch on the negative ground cable is the easiest way to do it.
Go back and look at your other battery... the hot side cable goes to a auto-reset breaker and then to the inverter battery.. the grounds are separate but the hot sides are wired together.. at least they are on my Avalanche.

Parasitic drain is on both batteries.. the disconnect to the inverter is just to disconnect the inverter.

The other disconnect is above the other battery but both are tied together and both pull from both..
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:29 AM   #9
ChuckS

The RV dealerships... most that I have seen over the years. Never disconnect the batteries on the RV when it comes in for service...

If the batteries were dead measure the specific gravity after a good charge and if not within spec toss them and get new

Also - without a battery isolator in the circuit of the inverter and main coach batteries BOTH batteries are gonna discharge

Typically on ANY ALPINE if you do not disconnect the battery frame grounds your batteries will be dead in about 7 to 10 days regardless of what position either of those battery cutoff switches are in

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:45 AM   #10
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The RV dealerships... most that I have seen over the years. Never disconnect the batteries on the RV when it comes in for service...

If the batteries were dead measure the specific gravity after a good charge and if not within spec toss them and get new

Also - without a battery isolator in the circuit of the inverter and main coach batteries BOTH batteries are gonna discharge

Typically on ANY ALPINE if you do not disconnect the battery frame grounds your batteries will be dead in about 7 to 10 days regardless of what position either of those battery cutoff switches are in
It was 12 days. I have been kinda busy just stopped for lunch and will check them better tomorrow. The batteries are only 8 months old and had a year warranty.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-08-2021, 03:02 AM   #11
RickV

Checked the batteries everything seems fine, time will tell 🤞. I know one thing the next time I drop it off at the dealer I will turn off both switches.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-08-2021, 04:40 AM   #12
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
Checked the batteries everything seems fine, time will tell 🤞. I know one thing the next time I drop it off at the dealer I will turn off both switches.
I don't do the dealership thing.. I fix it here at the house or on the road if needed...

Also.. with the battery cutoff switches off you will still have dead batteries unless you modify the cutoff switch connections and place them on the ground side of the battery to frame

The parasitic draw will take its toll on them in about 7 to 10 days even with your cutoff switches turned off...

and a battery isolator for the inverter side battery would just be a must for me if I had that style fridge in my Alpine

Old 12-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #13
RickV

I usually do most things myself was in for warranty work. They fixed a lot of things and had to get approval and wait on parts for the two major things Bedroom Barn Door and Delamation on rear panel. Have another appointment in February.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210814_38713.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	37401  

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-08-2021, 08:13 AM   #14
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
I usually do most things myself was in for warranty work. They fixed a lot of things and had to get approval and wait on parts for the two major things Bedroom Barn Door and Delamation on rear panel. Have another appointment in February.
What are they gonna do for repair on the backend for the delamination?

Old 12-08-2021, 10:16 AM   #15
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
What are they gonna do for repair on the backend for the delamination?
They are in the process of getting the factory approval and are gonna have a whole new back panel sent and replace it. They scheduled our next dropoff appointment for February 24th they said that may change depending on if the have the panel by then.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
Old 12-08-2021, 04:58 PM   #16
ChuckS

Excellent to hear this

Old 12-13-2021, 06:47 AM   #17
jimborokz

My dealer let my battery die twice before I found out about parasite drains. I replaced the battery and installed a switch on the neg side. Now when at the dealer I completely isolate the battery. They don't need it anyway as they move the rig around with a fork lift. Now when I pick up my fiver the battery is at 100%.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 08:26 AM   #18
Wxman

Dealer for my first TT also killed the battery during a recall visit. (Along with breaking more things than they fixed).
I just dropped off the new TT for a list of winter warranty work. They had several signs "Recommending" owners disconnect neg cable or engage a complete battery disconnect switch to avoid dead battery at pickup.

Better than nothing I guess.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #19
RickV

When I first got home from the dealer's with the discharged batteries and hooked up to shore power the inverter ran for a long time charging the batteries. We had our Superspreader Christmas Party Saturday Night in the Pole Barn. Since I had the 5er out I and had to hook up and move it I decided to go weigh it. I just got home from the CAT Scales will post about that in another thread from a few months ago, I had the Res. Fridge on and was curious to see if it pulled the batteries back down with just the truck power feeding the batteries, we were gone about 45 minutes to an hour and once I put it back in the Pole Barn and hooked up shore power the inverter didn't start up so I reckon the batteries are not completely screwed.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK