Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
jimmy77

TUNDRA TV, TT, 5er's, input and ideas for Tundra's

Hello all,
Jimmy77 here. I have purchased a Outback 298RE and will pick it up in Feb.
I have just joined this forum a few days ago and spent a few nights surfing the pages for thoughts and opinions of which there are many views. I am starting this thread to be a place for Tundra owners new and old to exchange questions and knowledge to the benefit of the family that is starting out with their first TT or 5th. I fear that there are questions that may go unanswered for fear of bashing at times. Also I found it hard to dial in these past days to a thread that would be just for Tundra owners. I asked a moderator for a few pointers on this thread and this is what I came up with. So with that I will post this and be the first one to ask a few questions that I hope Tundra owners will see.
p.s. I also think it would be cool to see Tundra pics from the bios on one thread.

CHEERS JIMMY77
Old 01-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #2
jimmy77

My Rig.

2010 Tundra Crewmax 5.7 auto 6sp. tow package

20'' rims w/ 275 75 20

GAWR FRT. 4000lb.

GAWR RR. 4150lb.

GVWR 7200lb.

GCWR 16,000lb.

TOW cap. 10,000lb.

2012 Outback 298RE (to be picked up in FEB.)

DRY WT. 7443lb.

MAX. WT. 9000lb.

CC 1557lb.

HITCH WT. 795lb.

LENGTH 35'2''

EQUAL-IZ-ER 12,000lb.

The Crew
Jim, Jamie,
Jessie our Black Lab
Libby our Boston Terrier

So my wife and I have been towing a 24' older trailer and pulled the trigger on this rig last a saturday at the Green Bay RV Show. That being said we are not green to the rv world and have had smaller trailers and truck campers in the past. This being our biggest jump.
I am disabled and we are planning for retirement so we have the money now and got a good show price.

We plan on just the Wisconsin and surounding states for now and in the future possibly snowbirding with this rig.

Future plans are to add a sway bar to the rear of truck.
Look into heavier rated tires of which I can only find XL's right now with a bump up from 2409lb. on the stock tires to 2945lb. on replacment one's.

CHEERS for now.

Jim & Jamie
Old 01-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
Bob Landry

I'm towing a 277RL with the same truck. The trailer has about the same specs as yours with a little more on the hitch, and you'll be happy with the truck. Where you will be short, and this is the issue with all 1/2 tons, is that you will run out of payload capacity before towing capacity gives out. I replaced the stock fuel tank(plastic) with a 47 gal one(steel), so the tank and extra fuel adds some weight to the truck and I also have an ARE bed cover. I compensate with careful loading and just about everything but a drink cooler and a camera bag rides in the trailer. I also replaced the stock tires with Michelin MS/2s(LT). My truck pulls all day at 60mph/2000rpm. I couldn't ask for more out of it.

I use a Reese/DC hitch/anti-sway so I'm not familiar with your hitch, but you are going to need a good anti-sway system. The one on the truck isn't going to cut it. Also, a friction type sway bar isn't going to be much help on a trailer of that size. Be sure that your WD rig transfers enough weight to the front axle to return the front end to the unhitched height(Toyota specs). I'm very happy with my rig, but I spent a lot of time setting everything up. Don't worry about the truck handling th trailer. It pulls like a mule and the brakes are huge.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
michol02

I think you will be pleased with the Equalizer. I have a 10000lb 4point and pull my 35' 1"(7150lbs dry, tongue 650lbs dry) and I have been very pleased with it.

Visit Mods album in my profile
Old 01-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
jimmy77

Tires

The tires I have now are the stock 20''
I can't find any LT tires in the 275/55/20 range but I did find
some Goodyear, Cooper, General and two more off brands for Wisc.
These all had the XL load which take the load from 2409 to 2833lbs.
That with high pressure valve stems will give me some added security.
Load range E has come up on other threads.
What I have seen on other threads is that other Tundra owners are going with 18''
TV tires so if the 18''s are the way to go, I need to find 4 steel rims to put them
on as my spare is a 18''. I am assuming they have stock 18''s to begin with.
The reason I would go this way is to combat the dog being wagged by the TT.
Stiffer sidewalls is what I have read.
Has anyone else ran with their stock 20''s without issues.

CHEERS JIM
Old 01-26-2012, 04:15 AM   #6
Flyguy

Another Tundra owner here. I pull a FW with my 2008 Crew-Max. Specs are in my Signature. You can see pics of what other Tundra owners are towing along with some technical data here; http://www.eaa1358.com/Tundra/ I run the stock 18" wheels with Michelin cross terrain tires.
Timbrens
Old 01-26-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
jimmy77

18'' tires

Hello Flyguy
Do you have the E rated 18''s
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
jimmy77

Weakest Point of TV

Other than the known weight limits of the box, what would be considered the weak point of the Tundra that could fail on the road.
I lean toward the P tires at this time. Comments.....
JIMMY77
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Tundra Owner's Social Group

Not sure if any of the Tundra owners might be interested but there is a "Social Group" feature of our forum that you might want to consider as a means of exchanging ideas, etc. This feature can be accessed by clicking on the Community link at the top of the page (Blue Bar) and click again on Social Groups.
The group would be of interest primarily to Tundra owners and would allow you to discuss things particular to that tow vehicle. Almost like a forum within a forum.
I am throwing this out as a suggestion to you as Tundra owners.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Flyguy

Thanks Festus, I created a Tundra group, would you please move this thread to it? Thanks

Flyguy:
I don't see any means of moving the posts in this thread to the Tundra "Social Group" that you just created. The only options that I have for a destination are moving from forum to forum. Doesn't seem like there are any outside the forum categories to which I can move this thread.
If you like, I can close this thread and you folks can carry on your discussions from now on in the Tundra Social group. Let me know.
Festus2
Timbrens
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Festus2
Site Team

Tundra Owner's Social Group

Flyguy has created a new Social group for Tundra owners and will be kicking it off with a new post. Any Tundra owners out there who would like to join this group to talk about towing with a Tundra, can do so by:
1) Go to and click on the "Community" option at the top of the blue bar found on most pages
2) From that pop down, click on "Social Groups"
3) You will be directed to the new Tundra owners page.
4) Join up and make your posts as directed.

This thread will now be closed. Thanks to all of the Tundra owners and to Flyguy for starting up this group.
Closed Thread