Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2021, 04:58 AM   #41
rwreuter

This post is laughable!
Old 08-14-2021, 05:23 AM   #42
roadglide

Every new GM truck I have owned had the same GAWR numbers as the index load tires. Tires are a big factor as to what your SRW GVWR will be posted on the driver door. I purchased 4 new 275/70/18 Michelin load range is 140 lbs more then OEM . It don’t mean I have 280 pounds more payload,GM has always been small on the tires that Will fit on the front . I believe that’s where the Dodge shines with the bigger tires available on OEM trucks
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:56 AM   #43
Javi

Tires don't determine the GVWR of a vehicle, that number is designated by the manufacturer and only the manufacturer or a certified modifier can change it.

Payload is a constantly changing numerical equation based on the difference between the legally established GVWR of the vehicle and the actual weight of said vehicle at the exact moment. Add or subtract any weight from the vehicle and the payload changes immediately.

Tires are a variable that can limit payload only if their combined weight carrying capacity per axle does not equal or exceed the manufacturer certified GAWR of each axle.

This is still painful ��
Old 08-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #44
Yareelohim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Tires don't determine the GVWR of a vehicle, that number is designated by the manufacturer and only the manufacturer or a certified modifier can change it.

This is still painful ��
Half wrong/Half right AGAIN lol

According to GM…they designate GVWR based on the tires used. You can even see that in the photo examples I provided from GM.

This is what I mean about people digging in to prove a point. You reiterate the same thing I already said but then put some spin on it that makes no sense.

“tires don’t determine GVWR…”
Photos examples from GM website show you are wrong

“That # is designated by the manufacturer”
My conversation with GM and the photos provided show you GM uses tires to determine GVWR.

In 1/2 ton trucks that’s far more significant because you go from a low load index passenger tire to a high load index LT tire.
This from conversations with GM directly.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #45
Javi

You really need to go back to school on this... putting higher load limit tires will not increase GVWR beyond federally mandated vehicle class. However, putting tires that don't equal axle GVWR will decrease legal load limits and in some cases the manufacturer will de-rate the GVWR to match. That's what you are seeing, although there are usually other factors involved such as axles, wheels and various things such as number of lugs and brake sizes.

I use to do this for a living, and it's still painful ��
Old 08-14-2021, 08:02 AM   #46
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You really need to go back to school on this... putting higher load limit tires will not increase GVWR beyond federally mandated vehicle class. However, putting tires that don't equal axle GVWR will decrease legal load limits and in some cases the manufacturer will de-rate the GVWR to match. That's what you are seeing, although there are usually other factors involved such as axles, wheels and various things such as number of lugs and brake sizes.

I use to this for a living, and it's still painful ��
I agree, it's painful....and uninformed....and twisted to get the supposed results that are being sought.....not to mention, somewhat likely to result in a truck that has no business towing the trailer that is involved in this
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 08-14-2021, 08:44 AM   #47
jasin1

This feels like a Dr Seuse book titled. “HaLf wRoNG …HaLf rIgHt”

I hope I NEVER hear this phrase again as long as I live….please choose a different way to convey your Baloney

in the words of Sherman T Potter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CEEF42F1-D64A-4744-9312-42303C393FC2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	35256  
Old 08-14-2021, 09:06 AM   #48
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yareelohim View Post

According to GM…they designate GVWR based on the tires used. You can even see that in the photo examples I provided from GM.

This is what I mean about people digging in to prove a point. You reiterate the same thing I already said but then put some spin on it that makes no sense.

My conversation with GM and the photos provided show you GM uses tires to determine GVWR.

In 1/2 ton trucks that’s far more significant because you go from a low load index passenger tire to a high load index LT tire.

I won't respond to this thread again because as Javi has noted, it is painful for sure.

You fail to realize that when the "tires" change, if you will read the descriptions you posted, many other things change as well. Whether it's the size/weight of the wheel, tire and many other things so goes the gvw - it's not just the tire that magically increased the gvwr of the vehicle. Going from a P tire to LT, at the factory, will probably increase the gvwr up to the allowable for that class vehicle but you can't take it home with "abc" tires on it, put "xyz" tires on it and have someone send you a new placard with whatever gvwr on it you want.

I've not read anywhere in the thread that anyone is "digging in" to support an incorrect position, rather folks trying to counter some really bad misinformation predicated, I suppose, on some really bad misinterpretation of various printed materials by an uninformed individual. Not trying to be ugly or contentious but you are the one "digging in" to try to support statements you have made that bear no resemblance to reality.
Old 08-14-2021, 09:42 AM   #49
travelin texans

Quote:
Where do you read 6.7l Cummins?

I wrote F250 Diesel, which is a 6.7l power stroke.

Edited: Wait I see it. I wrote 6.7 F250 diesel on one and Cummins on the other. NOT Cummins. That was the RAM. The F250 was the 6.7l Powerstroke. I’ll fix that.
Apparently Lynnette & I both read your "F250 Cummins" in your 1st post, but you obviously edited it after I ask about it in post #8.
As to the rest of your obviously flawed theories;

Name:   BS Meter.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  14.2 KB
NOTICE!
To all newbies reading this PLEASE know that you CAN NOT/WILL NOT increase any of the posted weights of your truck by increasing tire load ranges, adding springs or airbags nor can you contact your truck manufacturer to send you a replacement tag with new numbers just 'cause you changed tires.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-14-2021, 09:43 AM   #50
chuckster57
Site Team

At what point do we quit feeding him?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:01 PM   #51
rhagfo

Quote:

Your first statement in your post proves you are sooo wrong.
If GM based GVWR on tires why for so many years did the drag their feet on razing the GVWR on their 3500 DRW? Until I believe 2020 GM still only had a max GVWR of 13,025# of the 3500 DRW, with an axle rating of about 9,700#, the four tires on the rear would have about a ,2800# load capacity in DRW configuration so a capacity of about 11,200# add the two front tires at about 3,000# ea. and you are at 17,200#!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
Old 08-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #52
Ken / Claudia

Many cab/chassis trucks, after a person buys them will not leave the frame open and empty. The factory put a GVWR sticker on them as any other vehicle.
In this example that vehicle went to a ambulance co. they had a aftermarket company install the enclosed ambulance container. That co. will place a new GVWR/payload sticker in the cab that is all yellow with a new rating. At that point weight police use that new number. I seen hundreds of them in my years at OSP. Is that number higher or lower than the truck maker said on their GVWR? I cannot say since I never cared a bit, the co. who did the work is responsible after they put that sticker on it not Ford, GM or Ram.
I will take a guess that almost always that new number is lower but what ever the number is it is the enforcement numbers. It really comes down to what work was done. Again I did not care.
I never heard or seen a person call/contact a auto maker and get a new weight rating over the phone. Remember my example is on vehicles sold as cab/chassis models and the company who modified the vehicle changed the ratings. In my opinion those companies likely carry a high liability insurance for doing that type of modifications.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #53
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Many cab/chassis trucks, after a person buys them will not leave the frame open and empty. The factory put a GVWR sticker on them as any other vehicle.
In this example that vehicle went to a ambulance co. they had a aftermarket company install the enclosed ambulance container. That co. will place a new GVWR/payload sticker in the cab that is all yellow with a new rating. At that point weight police use that new number. I seen hundreds of them in my years at OSP. Is that number higher or lower than the truck maker said on their GVWR? I cannot say since I never cared a bit, the co. who did the work is responsible after they put that sticker on it not Ford, GM or Ram.
I will take a guess that almost always that new number is lower but what ever the number is it is the enforcement numbers. It really comes down to what work was done. Again I did not care.
I never heard or seen a person call/contact a auto maker and get a new weight rating over the phone. Remember my example is on vehicles sold as cab/chassis models and the company who modified the vehicle changed the ratings. In my opinion those companies likely carry a high liability insurance for doing that type of modifications.
Not only do they carry a high liability insurance, they are required to be a licensed/certified upfitter and as you stated, they are required to place their sticker on the vehicle and that is required by federal law. And that is the only approved method of reassigning the federally mandated weigh capacity ratings for a vehicle. No manufacturer is going to issue one after the fact.....not GMC, not Ford, not Ram, not ANY of them.

Old 08-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #54
Ken / Claudia

Yes, your 100% correct. I never spend/wasted my time to go and ask about how that all comes about. All I was trained is those that do it are allowed to and follow xxxx guidelines/laws. The names I read are nationally or regionally known. Not "Joes backyard mechanic."
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:21 PM   #55
rwreuter

Time for ADMINS to shut this down.
Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #56
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwreuter View Post
Time for ADMINS to shut this down.
Why? It serves as a great example of what not to believe from a car dealer, a RV dealer, even a vehicle manufacturer....if that part is really true. There is a tremendous amount of mis-information here and pretty much all of it has been refuted by multiple folks, including myself. It beats having to post all this stuff again when the next person comes along and tries to talk about the same subject matter. Maybe it should even become a "sticky" as an example of what not to believe or do.

Old 08-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #57
chuckster57
Site Team

So far besides all the wrong information, the only other thing wrong is it’s in the wrong sub forum. So yeah I guess it does serve more than 1 purpose.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 08-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #58
Northofu1

I can't remember seeing any catastrophic accidents involving RVs in my part of the country that would be news worthy. And as God as my witness and judge I see more Big 5ers towed by 3/4 ton trucks than all other TT / SUV tv's or 5er/ 1/2 ton tv combos by far. Never seen one written off or burn to the ground.

Whats the acceptable number of rv related incident/accident ratio to population before Law Enforcement starts to crack down?

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Old 08-14-2021, 06:50 PM   #59
CWtheMan

Quote:
Texan…
Just saw your edit about weight/stickers.

I verified that too. At least in California there is no such thing as being liable for over the tire payload sticker. Not as it relates to insurance, California highway patrol, or department of transportation.

This ONLY applies to DOT certified trucks. This is why RV’s never go through a weigh station on the highway, only commercial DOT trucks go through there.

BUT you can also have new stickers ordered and mailed to you very easy if you are concerned about it. Including if you change the GVWR of your vehicle.

Verified. It’s pretty simple.
This is just an observation. Or maybe a recommendation.
Your posts should be lased with, "it's in your opinion". The DOT has safety rules and regulations about everything involving highway safety. When you write recommendations outside of those rules and regulations one must believe you have not become familiar with them before posting. For instance, CA DOT cannot violate USA DOT.

Here is a link to one of the many links you should put on your reading lists:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/part-567
Old 08-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #60
Ken / Claudia

I don't have an answer to your question, but can post this with insider information. Many police departments started off the Covid-19 with instructions to only respond to calls for service. Meaning routine traffic stops for the 1,000s of traffic laws on the books is not and was not being enforced. It has changed as directed by each governor. The PD I was at until last year did the same, they limited contact as much as possible with anyone. Traffic enforcement division was only helping with criminal calls and crashes.
Idaho just had a news story days before July 4th 2021 holiday weekend. It went something like this Idaho State Police will start enforcing traffic laws again due to 2020 being higher than normal in traffic deaths and aggressive driver complaints high. Being new here I though most speeders just drove the highway at 100 when the speed limit at 80 mph. But it was lack of visible traffic enforcement making the normally daily speeds keep increasing. That's just speed related stuff they mention.
Closed Thread