Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2021, 08:38 AM   #1
turbojimmy

New to me 220RBI

Hello all -

I'm taking delivery of a 2015 Ultra Lite 220RBI tomorrow. I'm not new to RVing but am new to travel trailers. We're downsizing from a 31-foot motorhome. The opposing slides on the RBI seem to be unique to Keystone on a smallish trailer and is what sold us on it.

I wanted something I can tow comfortably with my 1/2-ton Sierra. I've been studying the truck's cargo capacity, tongue weight of the trailer, GVWR of the trailer, etc. and it looks like I'm in good shape with the 220RBI.

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. I'm a little nervous about towing but I'm sure I'll be fine with tips from here and some practice.

I look forward to meeting everyone.

-Jim
turbojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new adventure. Good set of mirrors, weight distribution/sway and brake controller will make your travels much better.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:53 AM   #3
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Welcome to the forum

Congrats on your new adventure. Good set of mirrors, weight distribution/sway and brake controller will make your travels much better.

Thanks. I installed the brake controller last week. My brother has a big Grey Wolf trailer and has a weight distribution/sway bar set up. I'll have to ask him about it.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:17 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
Thanks. I installed the brake controller last week. My brother has a big Grey Wolf trailer and has a weight distribution/sway bar set up. I'll have to ask him about it.

I have towed an RV with a 1/2 ton without "towing" mirrors and it isn't fun; the towing mirrors make a world (literally) of difference. The wdh/sway hitch is set up for a particular truck/trailer so keep that in mind; you can't just take it from one truck to another without fine tuning it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
travelin texans

Good advice! Don't go cheap on the WDH!
At 6400 GVWR, 800+ lbs tongue weight, 26' long you'll want a good'un with a 1/2 ton truck.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #6
turbojimmy

Okay - I ordered up a WDH/sway bar and towing mirrors.

My driveway is really steep coming off the street. The back bumper of our motorhome scrapes so we'll see how it goes with the trailer. It doesn't have much of an overhang and sits pretty high so hopefully it will be okay.

I have a similar situation at the top of my driveway where I need to swing the truck and trailer around. How do the WDH bars do over big changes in elevation between the tow vehicle and trailer. Should I remove them?

The last time I towed anything was a '64 Impala wagon on a U-haul trailer using my Chevy Avalanche a few years ago. The weight distribution was all wrong. It was a 12-hour, white-knuckle ride. Hopefully if set up right this trailer will actually be enjoyable to tow.
Old 07-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

How well the wdh/sway system operates, and how as well, depend on what you got. Good ones will let you maneuver without removing the bars, others require them to be removed to be able to turn very sharp. As far as the mirrors, if you got some sort of towing mirrors that attach to the existing mirrors chances are you will not be happy as they love to vibrate so much you can't see anything. Someone may have had success with some brand but I've never seen them. I resolved my mirror problem by buying a new truck with new towing mirrors...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 03:56 PM   #8
turbojimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
How well the wdh/sway system operates, and how as well, depend on what you got. Good ones will let you maneuver without removing the bars, others require them to be removed to be able to turn very sharp. As far as the mirrors, if you got some sort of towing mirrors that attach to the existing mirrors chances are you will not be happy as they love to vibrate so much you can't see anything. Someone may have had success with some brand but I've never seen them. I resolved my mirror problem by buying a new truck with new towing mirrors...

I'll have to check the specs on the WDH/sway system.

The mirrors I got are OEM-like. They replace the existing mirrors on the truck and are extendable. They got good reviews but in talking to my brother he had a bad experience with something similar. I'll see how it goes.

I have a Charger with that 6.4. But the towing capacity is significantly less than your new truck to which your mirrors are attached.
Old 07-13-2021, 03:38 AM   #9
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN.