Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
LHaven

Keys: Less is More

Our Cougar that we picked up a year ago is the first trailer we've had that had more than one entry door. We thought we had a warranty problem with the door locks not working intermittently, until the dealer informed us that the doors had completely different keys! It never occurred to us that a manufacturer would set up a trailer with different door locks, as it makes no sense whatsoever. (I assume now that it's just too much bother for Keystone to stock paired locksets for two-door units, they just grab a random lockset out of the bin to install in every door that comes down the assembly line.)

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies, I jumped at the chance.

I immediately sent away for two new cores that matched the key for our "main" door, to install in the bedroom door. They arrived today, and in very few minutes, I had the old cores out, the new cores in, and a significantly less-bulgy key wallet.

The entire project cost me only $20. (I didn't bother to spend the extra $10 renting the "rekey tool," since the trick to it was obvious from the instructional video, and anyone familiar with locks can do the job without it.)

If you want, you can also buy extra cores and rekey your storage compartments to the same key as your entry door -- I decided not to, because there was security value to me in occasionally being able to grant someone access to one area but not the other. However, you can also key them to a completely different (purple) key, because (just like the infamous CH751 hatch key) all Global Link hatch locksets as manufactured are keyed to identical gray keys.

So, bottom line, if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this for only $20 (or $30) and a few minutes effort.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

In almost 9 years as an RV tech, I can say that I’ve only seen 1 trailer with 2 or more entry doors keyed alike. You gotta remember the people on the assembly line walk over to a big box on a pallet and grab 1,2 or 3 locksets. Put them in the doors and put the keys wherever they go.

It may not be exactly like I stated, but you get the idea. And it’s ALL brands and lines.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #3
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Our Cougar that we picked up a year ago is the first trailer we've had that had more than one entry door. We thought we had a warranty problem with the door locks not working intermittently, until the dealer informed us that the doors had completely different keys! It never occurred to us that a manufacturer would set up a trailer with different door locks, as it makes no sense whatsoever. (I assume now that it's just too much bother for Keystone to stock paired locksets for two-door units, they just grab a random lockset out of the bin to install in every door that comes down the assembly line.)

When I read in a recent Trailer Life that the Global Link locksets on our Cougar (purple and gray keys) were built with customer-replaceable lock cores, and that their retail subsidiary offered consumer DIY rekeying supplies, I jumped at the chance.

I immediately sent away for two new cores that matched the key for our "main" door, to install in the bedroom door. They arrived today, and in very few minutes, I had the old cores out, the new cores in, and a significantly less-bulgy key wallet.

The entire project cost me only $20. (I didn't bother to spend the extra $10 renting the "rekey tool," since the trick to it was obvious from the instructional video, and anyone familiar with locks can do the job without it.)

If you want, you can also buy extra cores and rekey your storage compartments to the same key as your entry door -- I decided not to, because there was security value to me in occasionally being able to grant someone access to one area but not the other. However, you can also key them to a completely different (purple) key, because (just like the infamous CH751 hatch key) all Global Link hatch locksets as manufactured are keyed to identical gray keys.

So, bottom line, if you are tired of having to fiddle with keys in dark campgrounds to find the proper one for the door you're in front of, you can now remedy this for only $20 (or $30) and a few minutes effort.

Your links are not working. Could you check them again? Very interested in this. Hate having two keys.
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #4
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
Your links are not working. Could you check them again? Very interested in this. Hate having two keys.
I don't know what's happening. Twice I have corrected this link from https to http; I test it, and it works. Then I reload the page, and something in the forum has converted the links back to https. https doesn't work at that site, so the link fails.

Here it is in plaintext, and if it gets changed to https here, I give up.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/LocksKeys/Re-key-your-rv

(Wow, this is INCREDIBLY intrusive! ADMINS???)

I guess all you can do is copy the string, paste it in your browser, and edit the extra s out first before hitting enter. That should get you there.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:52 PM   #5
Big1

I replace all of my locks with RVLOCK.com, even my compartment doors I replace them all.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:28 AM   #6
SummitPond

Before the PDI my dealer's tech rekeyed all locks (but the outside shower) to be the same, without asking. And it wasn't to CH751!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:49 AM   #7
Northofu1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Before the PDI my dealer's tech rekeyed all locks (but the outside shower) to be the same, without asking. And it wasn't to CH751!
That's a nice touch, your new trailer looks nice too.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:06 AM   #8
notanlines

Go with this instead:
http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
Drop the s....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:36 AM   #9
MarkEHansen

@LHaven - based on the video, you need to use one of their $50 yellow keys to remove the core. How did you get the old cores out without that "tool"?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

I changed the locks on our unit after we bought it back in 2011. Did the same on the camper before that one years ago. Went on rvlocksandmore.com and ordered one lockset that matched the number on the front door lock and ordered the same numbered key cam locks for all other compartment doors. No longer feel like a "high school janitor" or a "jailer" carrying all those keys.

As for trusting someone going into my storage compartment, well I keep it unlocked when I'm there and see no need for anyone that I wouldn't trust in the camper to have a key to the compartment if I'm not there.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
If you're talking about your new trailer, yes, that is a nice touch. If you're talking about your previous trailer, the 2015 Bullet, changing the locks may have been a result of the "lock recall" issued by FIC (not Keystone). Some dealerships did the complete fleet on their lot during that time frame, other dealerships ignored it and hoped they didn't have an owner come back for service (the recall, IIRC, didn't pay for labor to change the locks, so dealers didn't make anything from the recall).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
77cruiser
Gone Traveling

Try this.

http://www.rvlocksandmore.com/
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:01 PM   #13
srvnt

I was able to get 2 keyed alike locks from keystone because of the recall so they have the ability to do it on new ones. How stupid. that's like GM having have a key for each of my car doors, trunk or tailgate and ignition. Another "why did they do that?".

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #14
MarkEHansen

I asked Keystone specifically if I can get two door handles keyed alike and they told me no. Yes, this is profoundly stupid, IMHO.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #15
flybouy
Site Team

This strictly a "SWAG" but I'm guessing that like so many "why Don"t they just" issues it boils down to an increased cost. The cost to purchase keyed alike sets would certainly be more as the OEM is not going to spend the time to match them up, devise a method to keep them together thru shipment and delivery. Then there would be the increase cost when installing to ensure they match.

If Keystone implemented all of the "they should just" items I have seen posted they would end up pricing themselves out of business.

Comparing the the manufacturing of autos and RV's just isn't possible if you see the differences in the process.

JMHO
Old 01-24-2020, 04:11 PM   #16
srvnt

If there was a price increase just because 2 locks are keyed alike it would not be much. It wouldn't be asking much or any cost for putting a light switch where light switches are supposed to go etc. I think we could afford 2 or 3 feet of extra wire so the DW could reach a switch unlike the ones that they put near the ceiling. Even with additional cost it's no excuse to cheap out on safety items like non-venting recirculating range fans. Of course i was aware of the quality issues as this is not our first trailer, not complaining just disappointed.
Stupid engineering.
Sub-par materials and parts
For 30 grand I expected a little more, like keyed alike door locks, and a place to put the toilet paper roll holder.

2013 Passport 2890RL GT
2015 Silverado CC LTZ 4x 2500 Duramax
HB Cal
srvnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #17
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvnt View Post
If there was a price increase just because 2 locks are keyed alike it would not be much. It wouldn't be asking much or any cost for putting a light switch where light switches are supposed to go etc. I think we could afford 2 or 3 feet of extra wire so the DW could reach a switch unlike the ones that they put near the ceiling. Even with additional cost it's no excuse to cheap out on safety items like non-venting recirculating range fans. Of course i was aware of the quality issues as this is not our first trailer, not complaining just disappointed.
Stupid engineering.
Sub-par materials and parts
For 30 grand I expected a little more, like keyed alike door locks, and a place to put the toilet paper roll holder.
How is a non-vented range hood a safety issue?
Old 01-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #18
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
In almost 9 years as an RV tech, I can say that I’ve only seen 1 trailer with 2 or more entry doors keyed alike. You gotta remember the people on the assembly line walk over to a big box on a pallet and grab 1,2 or 3 locksets. Put them in the doors and put the keys wherever they go.

It may not be exactly like I stated, but you get the idea. And it’s ALL brands and lines.

Like I said before, I bet it’s a matter of speed on the assembly line so the person at that stations grabs 1,2 or 3 entry locksets and doesn’t have time to “go digging” for matches sets. It would be a logistic issue trying to set up lock sets prior to a unit reaching that station.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:50 PM   #19
jamtracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
I replace all of my locks with RVLOCK.com, even my compartment doors I replace them all.
I did our 2 main doors with the keyless locks. Their black friday special is always 40 percent off. I changed out a lot of the baggage locks as well.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:20 AM   #20
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
If you're talking about your new trailer, yes, that is a nice touch. ...
John

Yes, the new unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
... If you're talking about your previous trailer, the 2015 Bullet, changing the locks may have been a result of the "lock recall" issued by FIC (not Keystone). Some dealerships did the complete fleet on their lot during that time frame, other dealerships ignored it and hoped they didn't have an owner come back for service (the recall, IIRC, didn't pay for labor to change the locks, so dealers didn't make anything from the recall).
We did have a problem (once) with the 19FBPR; I don't exactly remember the setup as to why it occurred or when it happened, but my DW was unable to get out of the trailer. We were square dance camping at that time and one of our friends was passing by the TT so the DW passed her key out the window and she got out. I never received notification from Keystone or the dealer about this issue, and for some reason I never made the connection to the faulty lock, as I am sure I read about it in this forum.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote