Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 AM   #1
baydog55

Shower floor

I have a Cougar 27SAB. The shower floor seems to have “soft spots” in it. My question if are the any suggestions to shore it up . Thanks
baydog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
wiredgeorge

Like all fiberglass shower/tub units, there isn't adequate shoring under the shower so the fiberglass flexes. It may be possible to remove the shower floor and add shoring; probably 1x3" pieces so the shower floor doesn't flex. It is likely not a huge worry as many shower floors in RVs do this and folks generally don't go through the fiberglass.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:51 AM   #3
travelin texans

If you can access the under side it might be worth adding support.
The factory only has 2 sizes of hole saws, a 4" for a pair of wires or a 1/2" pex pipe & a 10" for a 3" drain, if neither of those work just use a hammer to beat a hole 10 times bigger than necessary.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:25 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

When I bought this trailer it was the same way. I was fairly certain the floor would last long enough to get thru warranty then crack so took it back in to have it fixed under warranty. Sure enough they had not put the required supports under the floor. Added them and it has been rock solid. They added them by pulling the access panel on the front of the pan of the radius shower...if you have that. Fiberglass is pretty tough, but, I have also broken it before.... Nowww, I know what you're thinking but doc weighed me at 203 Monday so there...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
Steveo57

Sadly this seems to be a common problem nowadays. I've read of a lot of people having a problem with cracking shower pans. If you can get access you can put some added support under the pan. I put in a teak shower mat and that helps to spread the weight out. Feels much more solid now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180514_221752.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	22938  
Old 08-19-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
jjohnsonlta

Shower pan troubles

We have a 2016 Cougar High Country. The shower pan has soft spots in it if you step around. It also seems like it is basically flat with a drain towards the front of it. It pools the water bad and you have to squeegee it towards the drain to get rid of it. Seems like there is no slope to the pan. Saw the last post on teak floor mat but you would have to remove it after each shower to rid the pan of water. The pan top layer of material looks to me to be setting on a block of foam. This complete pan then just fastens to the floor.
Any ideas on a fix?
jjohnsonlta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
ajk170

Baydog55- Like the others have said, shore up the pan with 1x3 or some other wood block(s). I looked at pictures of a 2019 27SAB to see what hte shower looked like and it looks similar to my Outback's shower in that you have an access panel at the base of the shower. I removed my panel and saw where they had shoring and then put additional blocks in there to remove the soft spots. Feel s much better and it doesn't feel like I'm going to go through the shower pan anymore. I did pay attention to not put too big of pieces under there since I didn't want to damage or put stress on the drain connection. Good luck!
-andy
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:13 PM   #8
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnsonlta View Post
We have a 2016 Cougar High Country. The shower pan has soft spots in it if you step around. It also seems like it is basically flat with a drain towards the front of it. It pools the water bad and you have to squeegee it towards the drain to get rid of it. Seems like there is no slope to the pan. Saw the last post on teak floor mat but you would have to remove it after each shower to rid the pan of water. The pan top layer of material looks to me to be setting on a block of foam. This complete pan then just fastens to the floor.
Any ideas on a fix?
Our 2019 Laredo 225MK has the same issue of pooling water. I was going to remove the inspection panel and take a look. I fear is that the drain goes straight into the rear gray tank and there is noting I can do to solve the issue.
Old 08-21-2019, 10:34 PM   #9
rhagfo

Do they keep making these cheaper and cheaper? We have a large Styrofoam pad that seems to support it well. The only issue I have had was the routing of the drain and the location of the trap. The trap was right in the middle of the basement! A few feet of 1-1/2” ABS drain and we gained a bunch of useable space.
Have you tried using spray foam to fill the void under the shower floor?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:08 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

[QUOTE=rhagfo;355459]Do they keep making these cheaper and cheaper? We have a large Styrofoam pad that seems to support it well. The only issue I have had was the routing of the drain and the location of the trap. The trap was right in the middle of the basement! A few feet of 1-1/2” ABS drain and we gained a bunch of useable space.
Have you tried using spray foam to fill the void under the shower floor?[/QUOTE]

I have used "MINIMALLY EXPANDING FOAM" (not the standard type of expanding foam) under a shower floor pan with good results. Block the drain hole cut by Keystone and fill the space with foam. Once it hardens, it helps to "firm up" the floor pan.

If you use the "typical expanding foam" and get a wee bit too much under the pan, expect that you'll come back the next morning to find the shower pan looks like it had a basketball under it.... Don't use the "regular stuff" as it just can't be controlled in this kind of application.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor