Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #21
Pmedic4

Smile RV Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happycamper64 View Post
Who does everyone use for their RV insurance? Keep getting offers for Good Sam in the mail , does anyone go through them for insurance?
I did a long search on RV insurance, starting with Allstate. The price was decent for Allstate, but to me, the issue was they didn't really understand fifthwheels. They kept asking questions about the motor size, and current mileage. Certainly I could estimate the mileage, but I got the feeling they didn't even understand what I was trying to insure.

I too received the Good Sam email offers, and thought, "Here's someone who understands RV's", so requested a quote from them. The quote I received was triple what I was paying through current homeowner/vehicle/RV insurer, State Farm. The Good Sam person I spoke with even noted it was exceptionally high, and they checked with other providers they use for a quote and found a few others, but still much more than my current insurance, and didn't really sound like they offered anything above my current policy. Definitely seems using a single insurance provider saves money on all policies.

While I've never filed a claim on my RV's, I never had issues with my other
coverages, so staying with my current company seems the best choice.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #22
mecapeman

Insurance?

Be sure the company you go with will cover you as a full timer. There are only a few that do. Good Sam is one of them. State Farm is not. Also Good Sam/National General is replacement cost insurance.
mecapeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #23
Rixtoyz

We had Hartford with previous trailers and ended up going with Good Sam on our Cougar we bought a couple of years ago. They had much better coverage and we saved a few bucks........
Rixtoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #24
BadmanRick

We use Good Sam. Their insurance is custom made for RV. They cover more for less.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #25
BulletOwner1

We're happy with State Farm. One thing I learned though was that if you full time you need to get a "Full Time" policy. State Farm didn't have that option and they were very helpful in letting us know. That's on the RV. We kept them on the car. Once we stopped full timing we went back entirely to them. Always settled claims to my satisfaction.

I've heard horror stories of folks switching company's to get a lower rate and when it comes time for renewal the prices go through the roof. Kind of like the old bait and switch routine.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 AM   #26
glum

We use Good Sam and have since 2014. Have not had to make a claim thank goodness but what I do like about them is that if you are not a fulltimer you can call and put your rig in storage and the insurance is cheaper during the winter months when you are not using it.
glum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:10 AM   #27
bbells

Aarp hartford. $50 year.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #28
Pacburrows

We have been AAA members for 35 years. Insured 9 different cars and 3 MCs with no accidents. Bought a Raptor 410lev and they said "nope, too long, won't help you." and would not do the F350 either since it pulls the 5th wheel. We went with USAA on the advice of a fellow 5th wheel owner and friend. The price difference between GS and USAA was minimal. Very annoyed with AAA.
Pacburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #29
hawkswin

My house and auto are with State Farm. I've been with them so long no one else can compete. They insured my 30' Keystone for less than Good Sam or anyone else.
hawkswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:57 AM   #30
travelin texans

We were told by our agent, won't mention the company, that they did not cover fulltimers, but if we were on an "extended vacation" no problem.
As he stated, on a rv you probably not going to have claim sitting in storage other than weather, so what about a tire blow out or some other idiot on the highway.
Had 2 claims in 10 years & gave address of accident & never questioned whether we were fulltime or not.
Basically, DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #31
twoyorkies

I used Progressive but just recently I switched to Geico cause Progressive's web site was very difficult for me to figure out.
twoyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #32
Geothor

Progressive
Geothor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #33
Gegrad

Ameriprise, same as we have for our auto and home policies.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #34
ADQ K9

USAA with 4 cars and home bundled have not had to file a claim but 1/3 less than former Allstate that we had fo r20 plus years.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #35
Miloski

USAA, I can call and they will hold coverage and when I travel I call and they reinstate it. I can. do this as many times as I want. When its setting at home it's covered under home owners. They do the same with my Harley and my wife's Vespa. I was raised a military brat and was able to obtain coverage.

David
Miloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:39 PM   #36
FlyingAroundRV

We have Progressive for truck and trailer. Don't know the rate as the DW is the finance department. We put them both on a lower policy in the off season. Not much of a reduction, but every $ in my pocket is better than one in theirs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #37
Howler

Insurance

We use USAA for home, auto and travel trailer. The trailer cost is $128 for 6 months on our 2018 Cougar 26RBSWE.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:38 AM   #38
maccam1

Have Erie insurance on everything,2 vechicles,tt,and house. Very satisfied,and rates are great
maccam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #39
johnlewis

We used Good Sam's RV insurer, who was National General, out of NC. In September, the storage lot where we stored our 2006 Montana 5th wheel was flooded. We had about 5' of water inside the 5th wheel. National General was great to deal with. The adjuster asked us to send pictures of the RV, especially of the interior, showing the water line inside the RV. Because of the depth of water, they didn't need to send an adjuster to look at the unit. They totaled the unit, and paid us market value for the RV, plus about $2,400.00 for personal effects in the unit (most had been removed, because we had planned to sell it, and buy a smaller trailer).
We had what they called "enhanced" (or some name similar to that) insurance, which covered weather damage, paid us an additional 20% above the market value of the RV.
They were easy to deal with, no hassles, and they had a salvage company tow the unit off. I would have no qualms about recommending them.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #40
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlewis View Post
We used Good Sam's RV insurer, who was National General, out of NC. In September, the storage lot where we stored our 2006 Montana 5th wheel was flooded. We had about 5' of water inside the 5th wheel. National General was great to deal with. The adjuster asked us to send pictures of the RV, especially of the interior, showing the water line inside the RV. Because of the depth of water, they didn't need to send an adjuster to look at the unit. They totaled the unit, and paid us market value for the RV, plus about $2,400.00 for personal effects in the unit (most had been removed, because we had planned to sell it, and buy a smaller trailer).
We had what they called "enhanced" (or some name similar to that) insurance, which covered weather damage, paid us an additional 20% above the market value of the RV.
They were easy to deal with, no hassles, and they had a salvage company tow the unit off. I would have no qualms about recommending them.
We are with Good Sam/National General also. I had it with my truck insurer and Sam saved us a bunch even after the multi vehicle discount was lost. Very glad to hear of your experience with them. We have not had to make a claim but have used their road service coverage a couple times with the same level of satisfaction.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote