Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2019, 06:30 PM   #1
Happycamper64

Insurance

Who does everyone use for their RV insurance? Keep getting offers for Good Sam in the mail , does anyone go through them for insurance?
Happycamper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
5J's

We use Foremost for our ins. When we got our Good Sam membership we looked into their insurance and it would have saved about $0.80 per month. The big issue for us is that we have our Auto, Homeowners and RV all through the same agent. If we move our RV then we'll loose our multiple policy discount. It just wasn't worth it.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
HIDE-EE

I have Safeco. I’m still pretty new to rv life but did have a claim for a roof tear. They took care of it. Only issue was they didn’t return calls to the shop I had fixing it so it slowed the process a little.
HIDE-EE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:03 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

We use Geico as primary. They have a very nice RV policy that has worked well for us.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #5
Frank G

You'll get feedback from every insurer out there, so my 2 cents, Progressive, Great claim service, decent rates, $407/yr. your rates may very.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
You'll get feedback from every insurer out there, so my 2 cents, Progressive, Great claim service, decent rates, $407/yr. your rates may very.
Just an fyi; be sure you don't have boat insurance with Progressive, hit a submerged object, ruin the prop, break the skeg and bend the prop shaft. The lady adjustor said they wouldn't pay for the replacement/removal etc. of the prop shaft because it wasn't "bent enough"....??? Service manager put it on the bench and it was bent badly....but not "bent enough" for Progressive. He protested but she wouldn't change (suspect she didn't know an inboard/outboard from a dishwasher). I do what I do and she met with me along with "someone else" from Progressive and.....it was all paid for. Should not have happened. At the time I carried 4 cars, 2 boats and 4 homes with them...no longer.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #7
Badbart56

We had the Good Sam's policy when we first bought the Fusion. Last year I shopped it to my auto insurer (Allstate) and saved about 1/3 of the cost. Shop around.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

I added our trailer to our auto policy with the 2 Mustangs and the truck, I think it added ~$100 to the overall cost.

There is a declared value to the trailer of what we paid for it.

We use The Hartford for home and auto.

-Brian
Old 03-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #9
notanlines

We are 45 year Geico policy holders for all our RV's and vehicles and have had excellent results all around. Regretfully we had to leave our home-owner insurance with State Farm behind. They just upped their rates beyond ridiculous.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:31 AM   #10
SummitPond

We had been using Allstate (4 vehicles + TT) for our previous rig; when we got the new one we shopped around. The Allstate policy only offered us "cash value" in the event of a total loss whereas the GS policy offered "full replacement value". The GS policy was less expensive (not by much, though) than the Allstate policy, so we changed (only for the TT; their combined TT/TV coverage was a much higher cost than the separate Allstate TV and GS TT; I know there are "advantages" to having the same insurer for both vehicles but we opted not to go that way). The GS sales agent said we were in the best part of FL for rates, but my cynical side says he reports that to all his prospective clients. We have never made a claim to Allstate, so I don't know how they would have handled it. Please note that neither company offer "cards" to for the TT to show you have insurance (like they do for vehicles). As a side note, a friend of ours bought a new Airstream a number of years ago and while on the way home from the dealer was cut off by a hot rod driver and ended up totaling their new trailer. GS bought them a new one.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I want to take a second to remind everyone......

EVERY state in the US has a "Commissioner of Insurance" or a similar titled governmental regulatory agency and they all have different, sometimes vastly different regulations and pricing limits. So, you may live near a state border and go to the exact same agent for a quote and depending on which state you live in, you may find several hundred dollars difference in the rate based on which state he has to quote you for premium cost.

So, unless the person posting here lives in YOUR state and has his domicile in YOUR state, the price they quote will not be what's available in YOUR state. Take the "response time", customer service, claims adjustment information as "crossing state lines" and in most situations it will, but the cost of insurance is regulated by the state in which you live and what someone in Texas or New York pays will have virtually no impact on what you pay in Colorado or Michigan.....

Shop around for the best buy for the coverage you need. Not all insurance companies and certainly not all state premium guidelines are the same !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #12
sponge60

I have Progressive. Most everything else I own is Farm Bureau, including a previous 5th wheel. My FB agent also reps Progressive, and recommended it when we bought the latest RV. Coverages were same. Progressive a little cheaper.

2018 Avalanche 301RE
2018 Chevy 3500 HD
Sandy the Pocket Beagle
sponge60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:40 PM   #13
Old Mustanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
We are 45 year Geico policy holders for all our RV's and vehicles and have had excellent results all around. Regretfully we had to leave our home-owner insurance with State Farm behind. They just upped their rates beyond ridiculous.
We left State Farm after having Cars & home for 40+ years (and the RV since we've had one) for the same reason. Now have the home, Mustangs, truck and RV with Farmers, saved around $600 per year when we switched. I admit that I haven't had any claims yet so can't say how they will respond, really hope I never have to find out.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
John&Genny

We have State Farm RV insurance and I can say they were quick and easy to have a claim paid on our RV, about $9000 worth of damage. As soon as we got the estimate from the RV dealer, within about a week they approved the repairs, and we had the check in just a few days. Actually, it surprised the hell out of me because I thought it was going be much more of a hassle than it was
John&Genny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:08 PM   #15
scottz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
We left State Farm after having Cars & home for 40+ years (and the RV since we've had one) for the same reason. Now have the home, Mustangs, truck and RV with Farmers, saved around $600 per year when we switched. I admit that I haven't had any claims yet so can't say how they will respond, really hope I never have to find out.
That's interesting. We are preparing to go the other way. Will save over $500/yr on autos, $350/yr on home, and $130/yr on umbrella by switching from Farmers to State Farm. State Farm will insure the RV, but we are leaning towards Progressive (about $140 less than Farmers) because of the "declared value" policy they offer; State Farm will only pay book value. Total savings by leaving Farmers: over $1100/yr. Hope they are not "teaser" rates.

I think they all raise your rates every year and they just keep creeping up. It pays to shop around every once in a while. I've been with Farmers for 30+ years; my fault for not keeping an eye on what they were charging.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:16 AM   #16
Roscommon48

The best insurance company is the one that you feel comfortable with. There are lots out there...good luck.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
That's interesting. We are preparing to go the other way. Will save over $500/yr on autos, $350/yr on home, and $130/yr on umbrella by switching from Farmers to State Farm. State Farm will insure the RV, but we are leaning towards Progressive (about $140 less than Farmers) because of the "declared value" policy they offer; State Farm will only pay book value. Total savings by leaving Farmers: over $1100/yr. Hope they are not "teaser" rates.

I think they all raise your rates every year and they just keep creeping up. It pays to shop around every once in a while. I've been with Farmers for 30+ years; my fault for not keeping an eye on what they were charging.
Scottz, just keep an eye on your mailbox. I did the same thing many years ago in TX. Moved everything to them. After a while I started getting what seemed like an incessant flow of notifications from them - notices of various exclusions, modifications of the meaning of certain coverages (to my detriment) and of course rate hikes. I just kept with them thinking it was the same across the board. After over 20 years I had enough and started looking around. To my complete surprise most places I checked beat their rates substantially and I ended up with Geico saving almost identically what you are saving (about $1100 per yr.) with better coverages (look into the small print). CO coverages and rates are probably much different than TX though.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:55 PM   #18
Happycamper64

Thanks for all the replies, we have State Farm now and will probably stick with them.
Happycamper64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #19
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
We had been using Allstate (4 vehicles + TT) for our previous rig; when we got the new one we shopped around. The Allstate policy only offered us "cash value" in the event of a total loss whereas the GS policy offered "full replacement value".
I have the cash value policy with Allstate. I got to choose the amount too though and that amount won't go down with depreciation as it will with the GS policy.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #20
Sinton4616

USAA, bundled with home and auto.

Only used the insurance once after Hurricane Harvey, USAA totaled the TT.

Sinton4616 is offline   Reply With Quote