Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #21
KanTC

Timon,

Service/repairs required while traveling isn't the issue [nor was it part of the OP's question] -- dealers know that "stuff happens" occasionally while traveling, and most dealers will try to accomodate a stranded RV'er. Read Ch 1 of your Owners Manual [Dealer Service & Obtaining Warranty Service in Transit]... it's all there. http://www.keystonerv.com/media/2142...b_4-1-2015.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot
KanTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #22
ImTravis

I guess we got lucky. The DW and I bought ours out of state, but one of the local shops will do warranty work as long as we show them proof we are the original owners. I'd have bought from them if they had the floor plan we wanted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-27-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
Personally I don't like the Feds adding new laws but I think its time they include RV under the same rules as cars when it comes to service and other such issues. Seems only fair.

I can handle just about anything until it gets to the structure its self. That part is really the only thing I'd really need to worry about dealer service on.

The major concern is being a thousand miles from home and having something in the structure needing repair and dealers saying we didn't sell it so we won't work on it.

If Keystone will authorize an independent repair shop to fix the problems I can somewhat live with that.
It has been pointed out that Keystone's warranty is only for 1 year so if something goes wrong after that time, it really doesn't matter whether you bought it locally or not. Hopefully, any defects or issues will have been caught by you when you did your walk through or they will turn up within the warranty period. After that, you're on your own - except for warranty items like appliances and the like which have their separate and usually longer warranty periods.

If something were to go wrong with the structure or frame of the RV and I was a 1000 miles from "home" then I'd be looking for the nearest repair facility to get it fixed in a hurry. The last thing I'd be concerned about is will Keystone authorize this independent repair shop to fix the problem. If the frame is cracked or some welds have separated leaving the structure seriously compromised, then I'd want that fixed now and worry about who's going to pay for it later.

I really don't think dealerships are about to change their policy and I wouldn't wait around for any changes in legislation that would require them to do so. It is what it is - fair or not. Eventually, you will have to find a reputable and competent repair facility that is "close" to you so that you will be able to take your RV there should any issues come up when your warranty has expired.

I'm not trying to sound dismissive of your frustration, but the good news, if there is any for you, is that your concern about this issue will last for only a year then it won't matter. So let's hope that you will have an enjoyable and trouble-free first year with your RV.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

I guess my take is a little different than the OPs. I understand a dealer not wanting to do warranty work on a unit when they were bypassed for the sale. It would be nice if they would, but I understand it. And now, after getting neck deep in the workings between Keystone and their dealers, I understand Keystone's reluctance and/or inability to force a dealership to do anything.
As was said in one of the posts, you need to keep that consequence in mind when you make the decision about the purchase and then deal with it.

As for warranty work on the road, I've only had one experience. We bought our camper at CW in TX. We had an issue in FL and CW in Tallahassee was very helpful in getting it resolved. I have nothing bad to say about CW and will continue to give them my business.

The references to car dealerships vs RV dealerships were wrong in my experience. I've bought dozens upon dozens of new vehicles over the years and have experienced the same attitude among some auto dealers as those expressed by some of the RV dealerships. On several occasions I've been asked if I purchased there; if not, no warranty work. Several other times I've been told I would be put on a waiting list. All the same as an RV dealer. Just last year I took my '13 pickup in to have the tires rotated and balanced at my local dealership (I had purchased it out of state). The sign said rotate and balance $45. When I picked up the truck my bill was for $75. I was upset and they told me the $45 price was for THEIR customers.....not me. So, the same attitude and circumstances are alive and well in the auto industry as well. I understand their position even if i don't like it. I bought a new '14 3/4 from them so I would now have a preferred status with them.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:31 PM   #25
zuley

When we bought our 23RB two years ago I stopped in at Leisure Days in Kitchener, Ontario previous to making our decission. It was actually the sales manager that convinced me to drive 160 miles and purchase our unit elsewhere. During our initial meet and greet I told him I had been looking at our model and wanted to compare what else was out there. He imediately slammed our unit and out right told me if I didn't purchase from them not to bring it into them for service. I don't know if he was trying to intimidate me or what his plan was. Didn't really give him the opportunity to finish his little rehearsed speel. The tone of our converstion changed real quick. I have no issues with looking after your customers first and even refusing warranty work from transient customers but don't use intimidation as a sales technique which he was certainly doing. As it turned out we had no warranty issues that required a trip back to our selling dealer. Funny thing... we have done a few mods and spent a few dollars on upgrades. Never once considered driving to Leisure Days even though they are the closest RV dealer to my home.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 PM   #26
zuley

Sourdough, I just read your post re the auto dealer who charged you 30 bills more for a rotate because you were not "their customer". Wow. Don't know what area of the globe you reside from but gotta say I have worked for a Chryler store for 30 plus years in Ontario, Canada. At one point warranty was our bread and butter in the service department. Back in the 80's every second Chrysler out there needed a tranmssion and every 2.6 litre needed chains and gears. I still know the part numbers for most of that stuff. Then came the 90's and the LH platform vehicles with most still needing transmssions and air conditioning evaporators. I have to say warranty is no longer the money generator it once was. We are probably down 60 percent or more in warranty numbers the past 10 years. All of the manufactures are seeing the same decline in warranty repairs. We get full door rate and 40 points on the parts when doing warranty and we get paid promptly. I can't imagine any automotive dealer turning down service work let alone warranty.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

zuley - I was shocked by the price difference as well. I knew the GM of the dealership well but did not want to mess with it. I have since visited in depth with him about it and he says there was some miscommunication from the service staff and it wouldn't happen again. It shouldn't, I bought a new truck from them.

Sorry for the side trip from the OPs original post......I'll try to stay on track now
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Robert Phelps

Thank you, ALL, for taking time to respond to our query.

This is our first time buying a new RV, so it has been a bit of a learning experience. We were disappointed to learn that our local dealer wouldn't perform warranty work, but are still just shaking our heads that they will jeopardize a lifelong relationship of non-warranty service work as well.

Oh well, we cannot change their minds....

Diane
Robert Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:48 PM   #29
Robert Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Diane,
Just curious who you are dealing with in St Louis. We looked at a lot of units at several different dealerships. Ended up buying from Apache Village. they gave us the best deal, have a great customer service attitude, and were great when servicing our unit.

We've since moved away from St Louis and I've found that Camping World offers the best attitude for performing service on our 5er. We called other local shops, all asked if we bought from them and gave us attitude when we said no. Camping World didn't even ask, they just scheduled our service for the first available opening the following week. You have a CW about 100 miles from you. Still not great, but better than 300 if you can't work with the local guys on your purchase.
Thank you,bsmith0404. Apache Village is the dealership that informed us they wouldn't work on the unit at all, warranty work or after-warranty work. This surprised us, to say the least. Years ago, my parents used Apache, and they had never purchased a unit from them. When we bought our TT 8 years ago (used from a private individual) we took it to them for service regularly. They never mentioned this policy to us then. Maybe this policy only pertains to makes/models they sell and is something that has grown in the last 15 or so years.

We are checking with other non-Premier dealers and will also check out Camping World.

Diane
Robert Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote