Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Prospective Owners' Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Malfar

All the talk of broken frames and pin boxes is scaring me off

Was just about ready to buy a 2006 276RL and then started reading about all the problems with the poor quality frames they are sitting on. Thinking this may not be a smart pirchase.

mf
Malfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfar View Post
Was just about ready to buy a 2006 276RL and then started reading about all the problems with the poor quality frames they are sitting on. Thinking this may not be a smart pirchase.

mf
The problems with poor quality frames that only a very small percentage of members have had issues with should not deter you from purchasing an RV.

There are far more members who have not had any frame problems with their units and have not seen any need to mention this on the forum. What you are reading are the posts of an extremely small number of members who have had issues.

Personally, I would not base my decision on an issue that is not prevalent or indicative of the vast majority of people who have had zero frame issues.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
Ken / Claudia

It might be a good reason to go under the trailer and look. Also inspect the roof, windows, doors well everything real good and see for yourself what condition the trailer is in. Get someone who knows how to inspect a RV besides the seller.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #4
SAABDOCTOR

HI Get some one who knows rv's if you do not have the experiance. Go over the the whole unit top to bottom. frame issues are not a common problem like festus said. Good luck on your quest. We have had no frame issues with any of the three Keystones we have owned.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Malfar,

Welcome to the forum. As stated, frame problems are not really a big issue with a lot of RV's. There are some problems, but they don't seem to be found in a significant number of RV's. Remember that Lippert makes almost all the frames for the RV industry (except some high end companies), so you're going to get the same frame whether you buy from Keystone or some other manufacturer.

Buying a previously owned RV, one that's already 8 years old is potentially an issue. You really have no way of knowing how the previous owner used (or abused) the RV and whether there are any problems with the coach or with the frame. Unless you're well versed in RV inspection and have the ability to thoroughly inspect the RV, as suggested, I'd seriously consider hiring someone that is reliable and knows what to look for. Paying them a couple hundred dollars to do a good inspection may seem like a lot of money, but if they find anything seriously wrong, imagine the money you'd save by not being stuck with someone else's problems. And, even if they don't find anything wrong, you'll have the confidence that you are buying a "trouble-free" RV and will have the report from them with what issues are present. That is a good bargaining tool when negotiations begin and will give you a list of what repairs/maintenance you need to do after you buy.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Malfar,

Welcome to the forum. As stated, frame problems are not really a big issue with a lot of RV's. There are some problems, but they don't seem to be found in a significant number of RV's. Remember that Lippert makes almost all the frames for the RV industry (except some high end companies), so you're going to get the same frame whether you buy from Keystone or some other manufacturer.

Buying a previously owned RV, one that's already 8 years old is potentially an issue. You really have no way of knowing how the previous owner used (or abused) the RV and whether there are any problems with the coach or with the frame. Unless you're well versed in RV inspection and have the ability to thoroughly inspect the RV, as suggested, I'd seriously consider hiring someone that is reliable and knows what to look for. Paying them a couple hundred dollars to do a good inspection may seem like a lot of money, but if they find anything seriously wrong, imagine the money you'd save by not being stuck with someone else's problems. And, even if they don't find anything wrong, you'll have the confidence that you are buying a "trouble-free" RV and will have the report from them with what issues are present. That is a good bargaining tool when negotiations begin and will give you a list of what repairs/maintenance you need to do after you buy.
This a universal and highly recommended practice in the marine industry. An accredited surveyor, AKA appraiser is commissioned to do a through inspection of every system and submits a detailed report on the entire condition of the boat being surveyed and that report is usually used as a negotiating tool. Credibility is added by the fact that the surveyor has no affiliation with buyer, seller, lending institution, or repair shop and depending on the competence of the surveyor, the boat is represented for what it really is. They do only inspections and do not issue estimates like an insurance adjuster would. They will discuss a range of prices that they feel is relevant to the repairs needed, but this is in no way binding on anyone, only opinion based on the surveyor's experience. Also, a bank will often require one to be done before granting a loan, especially a larger loan and it is almost always required by an insurance company before underwriting a policy. I think there would be a market for this type of business in the RV industry. Cost for a survey of a boat of average length would run in the $200-300 range, and compared to what it might disclose, can be quite valuable. I think that would also be a reasonable range to pay for a RV inspection by a competent, unbiased technician. Now, finding a competent unbiased technician could present a problem, but that's another discussion.

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #7
theeyres

If you are somebody that knows about frames and welds check your rig and give it a thumbs up it should be no problem. If a 2006 hasn't developed frame problems by now I can't imagine why it would in the future. Don't let the few negative reports scare you off.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
Malfar

Spent the better part of an hour talking with Transport Can, about the incident investigation they have had ongoing for the last two years in response to owner complaints about failing pinboxes in Cougars. ( separate investigation also ongoing into FR Wildcats. Not reassuring, Don't think l will be gambling gambling on either one. Seems the only way to be sure failure isn't imminent is to pull open the front for an inspection.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

Malfar -
In your 1 hour conversation with Transport Canada, did you come away with any details about its investigation into failing Cougar pin boxes? Do you know if or when T.C. will be making its findings public?

As an owner of a Cougar 5th wheel, I am very interested in this investigation and what they have found so far. I didn't realize that any such investigation was being carried out or the extent of the apparent problem about failing pin boxes.

Anything you learned from your conversation would be, I am sure, of interest to a lot of Cougar 5th wheel members here on the forum!
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Brantlaker

Pin Boxes

The DW and I just came back from a 7,800 mile trip out West and at this time have over 15,000 miles of towing on our 2012 Cougar. I have checked the Pin Box and the frame around it with a Fiber Optic Bore Scope and have seen no problem, there is no evidence of any cracking or bending of the components at all. Most of the time when something like this happens it is because there was a bad run of frame materials or poor welding.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #11
Ken / Claudia

If it was a problem we would see utubes and other shots of the trailers with pinboxs failed and causeing crashs etc. And recalls here in the US. Is they any? If I was the guy I would not buy any RV because the tires could fail.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

As stated earlier, Lippert builds the frames for all of Keystone's products. Lippert also builds all of the frames for Forest River, Holiday Rambler, KZ, and nearly all the other RV manufacturers. So, to think that Keystone "COUGAR" line is the "only one with problems" and to think the others are "trouble free" is either selective thinking, wishful thinking or believing that somehow, someone at the Cougar assembly line is breaking the frames as they roll down the line.

You can't take an apple and make it into an orange by painting it a different color, the insides are still going to be the same..... Fifth wheels are the same way. Whether it's Cougar, Flagstaff, Wildcat, Fuzion or any other brand, the frame for a specific size fifth wheel is the same, built on the same line, by the same welders, with the same steel stock and painted with the same "baked on powder coat finish." There may be different outriggers, different axles or different pin boxes, but the frames are the same size rails, same construction and welding on the over-bed box and the same crossmembers, welded by the same welders using the same equipment on the same Lippert line.

Sure, there are frame failures, and the number of frame failures per 1000 is essentially the same in all the product lines. I just bought a Cougar fifth wheel and I'm no more worried about it than I was about my Springdale. I'd be just as worried (or not worried) if it were a Forest River product or another competetor's product.

There's no data to support an increased "Cougar" frame failure rate in any of the NHTSA sites that I've searched and there's no data to support an increased failure rate in any of the safety or apprasial sites that I've seen.

If anyone has any data to support a failure rate, please provide the source. All I've found so far is allegations from someone who talked to someone who said they heard that...... That kind of data is so unreliable that it probably belongs in the black tank rather than the gray tank. Anyone have any substantiated facts and a source to verify them ?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
2011 keystone

Troll!!!!!!
New TT 2014 j@%$O 32BHDS
2011 keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Malfar

What I learned from Transport Canada was that they have documented a high frame/pin box failure in Cougars and Wildcats ( this is not hearsay as one poster suggests). TC says there are NO construction standards for them to enforce ( the ony legal requirements are for brakes,lights etc) so there is really nothing they can do about the failures. Manufacturing trailers is pretty much an unregulated industry. mhey haven't identified a safety hazard as there have been no catastrophic failures ( involving accidents or injuries). As they explained even with failure trailers aren't detaching and careening down the highway - rather they are ending up sitting on the box of the truck or with the pin box pushed up through the bedroom floor ( not really spectacular enough for a U-tube video, although if you search the internet you will find pictures}. As well contrary to other opinions all trailer frames aren't created equally - Lippert doesn't build the frame to their specs nor is the same frame used by all manufacturers, frames are built to the specs of the trailer manufacturer - when the manufacturer specs it out with minimum materials, combined with the poor quality welding that is being observed, higher failure rates are observed. When the failure issue is raised with the trailer manufacturer they direct investigators to the frame manufacturer, who responds that they are only building to to trailer manufacturers specs and nobody will take responsiblity. The lack of any construciton standardsfor trailers - unlike Class A's for example which are on MV frames - only exacerbates the problem. ( would that explain the one year warranties on trailers that cost more than many cars }. There is no way to know the condition of the frame in the pin box area and the investigator I spoke with suggested that if buying a used one, I might want to have the front pulled to inspect the frame/welds. And these failures are not spread equally over all brands of trailers - failure in Cougars and Wildcats has bee documented to be higher.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
mguay

Just curious..... When you spoke to TC...did they mention how many investigations they have going on 5ers without broken frame/pinboxes?

9 out of 10 people are more likely to complain about something than praise it!
Old 12-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #16
jsmith948

You know......If I felt/thought as do you, I would NEVER buy an RV of any make or model. JMHO....FWIW

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malfar View Post
What I learned from Transport Canada was that they have documented a high frame/pin box failure in Cougars and Wildcats ( this is not hearsay as one poster suggests)...
So, it's not "Cougar has more frame failures" Rather it's one of Keystone's products and one of Forest River's products seem to have increased failure rates..... "Cougars and Wildcats"

What are the failure rates per 100 (or 1000) units produced? Are the failures similar? are they in different areas of the pinbox? are they in specific years of production? specific models?

Your observation (or your reported observation) is like saying, "Ford trucks have a frame failure rate higher than other manufacturers (but Dodge has some also). I wouldn't buy a Ford because the frames break." My question to you would be, "Which Ford Trucks and which Dodge trucks are breaking?"

Additionally, I suggested that if you're looking at a used RV, it would benefit you to get an experienced RV technician to inspect it before you buy. That recommendation was also suggested by other members.

I'd sure like to have access to the data at TC or at least know which models and what years they are finding "issues" with. There is absolutely no way that "every model and every year of Cougar or Wildcat" is having problems or TC and its US counterpart would be publishing warnings for consumers. Does TC have any published data or available "unpublished" data to support their verbal claims?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Festus2
Site Team

JRTJH -

After having a quick look at Transport Canada's website, it appears as though an "Active Defect Investigation" was initiated in October of 2011 as a result of complaints submitted by Cougar and Forest River Wildcat 5th wheel owners regarding crack(s) in pin boxes.

I wasn't able to access any details of the investigation but that may be due to my inability to navigate through the government site or it is not available on line to the public. When I have more time, I'll go back and try again to see if I can find any specifics.

The file number of the investigation is 3280-10-43 and it is categorized as an "Active Defect Investigation".

TC's website for this issue is:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicle...ctive-1239.htm

Unless you can get access to their findings - in writing - I doubt whether or not any of the questions you asked above can be properly answered.

I didn't bother phoning Transport Canada, but if you have nothing better to do today, and don't mind putting up with bureaucracy ---- go for it. They have a toll-free number which is only good in Canada but they can also be reached at: 819-994-3328.

Lots of luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Ken / Claudia

Every thing that is powered, pulled, pushed, carried that is a vehicle of some kind is regulated by safety laws. Maybe not the welds he is conerned about but, the are regulated. My RV is RVIA and Oregon RV compiance safety checked. My boat is Coast Guard, my motor vehicles are DOT, my home is etc. etc. Get my point at least here all customer goods have regulations and more on things used in public spaces. If I thought that is a REAL problem, I would reseach to see how many 5rs have been made and how many complaints/lawsiuts have been filed with keystone reagrding pin box/frame failures.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Festus2,

In the interest of maintaining accurate information on the forum, I looked at the TC website you posted and I did get to the two studies listed. That's as far as I could get online, the links keep repeating back to the same area (even though they show a PDF that's 6Kb in size).

The toll free number is "in Canada only" and the international charges to call from Michigan aren't quite in my budget. Maybe someone in Canada could use the toll free number and see if there's any documentation available????

As for specifics, if I posted on the forum: "There have been reports of fires in theaters, the fire safety office is investigating. I'm not going to a theater any more." It would hold as much validity as saying, "There have been reports of pinboxes breaking in Cougar fifth wheels, TC is investigating this. I'm not buying a Cougar."

I'm sure (no, I'm positive) that investigation bodies in both our governments get hundreds or thousands of complaints every year about failures in all kinds of vehicles. Like any other departmental agency, they are obligated to CYA by opening an investigation. The fact that there's an open investigation (incidentally that is two years old) showing no action would indicate that either there's not a significant problem or that there's little priority placed on it.

There was (is) in the TC chart, immediately following the two consecutive investigative report numbers on broken pin boxes, three reports on Tire Valve Stem Failure in Mitsubishi, Chrysler and GM products. I'm willing to bet that not one of us is going to "rush out and check our valve stems" .....

I can't find the urgency in the posts regarding pinbox failure that would motivate all of us to stop using/stop buying a Cougar or Wildcat. To me, it's much the same as "rushing for cover" because Chicken Little is yelling, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling."

If there's documentation, then let's address the issue, otherwise, like Chicken Little, why should we even look up?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS