Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #1
Bheath

Hello from Metro Detroit!

Hello!
The family and I just picked up our new(used) camper.

2018 Hideout 242LHS

Being towed with a 2020 Chevy Silverado equipment with HD tow pkg.

We are currently gearing up and planning for a 3 week trip to Yellowstone next year....putting everything together piece by piece. Super excited to get my family out and into nature.

The wife and I both come from tent camping and rustic camp. So, this should be an interesting adjustment. Mattress feels about the same as the ground tho lol.

Looking forward to all the knowledge I can gain from the group. Thanks!
Bheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:34 PM   #2
Canonman

From Utah!
My wife finally convince me a few years ago to give up the tent and "sleeping in the dirt" for a travel trailer roughly the same as your Hideout. Fast forward a few years and here we are with a 30' 5th wheel. Get ready for some comfortable "glamping" with hot and cold running water, thermostat controlled heat, a dry place to cook and a queen sized bed.
If planning a Yellowstone trip, reserve early, at least 6 months in advance. And, don't miss Teton NP. I think it's more scenic and more wildlife too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL9119-HDR.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	41595  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:06 PM   #3
Bheath

Thank you so much for the tips! And we are excited!
Bheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Welcome to the forum! I 2nd the Tetons recommendation.

Since you're new to RVs and this one is "new" to you and an 18 I would suggest you look at the tires. RV tires don't "wear" out, they age out. They are probably at least 4 years of age (if OE) so they are due replacements. Do a couple of things; check the brand, if it says Trailer King they need to come off before you take a trip anywhere. Secondly look for the "born on date" (manufacture date), it's molded on the side of the tire;

"The chronological age of any tire can be found on the tire sidewall by examining the characters following the symbol "DOT". The last four numbers identify the date of manufacture of the tire to the nearest week. The first two of these four numbers identify the week of manufacture (which range from "01" to "53")."

I always replaced 14/15" tires approx. every 3 years. I think they are making them better these days and make sure you have a load range that is sufficient for the trailer weight. Post back with the size and load range (LR). Last thing you want to do is head out on an anticipated fun trip and have blowouts.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 03:43 PM   #5
DaveAlb

I’d recommend the Black Hills and Badlands in South Dakota on the way out and Teddy Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota on the way home. While you’re headed that way…
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:11 AM   #6
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN
Old 09-17-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your new camper. It sounds like you are planning some great trips in your future. The best advise I can lend you is, plan early and make reservations for campgrounds as far into the future as you can, especially if you wanting to camp in high tourist areas / attractions. It's not uncommon any more to book some locations as year in advance (and then do all you can to keep those dates from getting squeezed out by life's demands upon you!)