Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2022, 04:00 PM   #81
jasin1

get yourself a tpms system if you donít already have one
Old 08-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #82
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
yes they were on my 2018 rig but minimal wear / use look at the tread

The tire discussions on this and other RV forums are never ending, one of those constant conversation topics is the unreliability of Trailer King tires aka "China Bombs". At 4 years those tires were about 3 years 11 mos. past replacement time IMO. RV tires wear out by age, not use unless you run the highways a LOT. Trailer Kings don't wear out by age or time....they just fail. Pull them all off including the spare and get a GOOD set of tires, one load range above what come OE and giver 'er a whirl.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #83
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaniel View Post
Just Google. You will find many opinions. It is like talking religion.

One of the links in that blog was about the exploding Carlisle tires I had in 2002 and how I replaced them with LT tires. If you did not see it, here is the link

http://www.bobbystuff.com/RV/index.p...-16-inch-tires

There is a lot of good info in that blog.

The biggest thing is to make sure the width of your rim works with the LT tire. Also make sure the weight capacity is there. If you go with a larger or wider tire, is there enough space?

As far as side wall stiffness, or special chemicals in ST tires, etc. my experience over 10 years and 50,000+ miles is that does not matter.

My LT tires have never failed me and I can drive 80+ MPH if I want. I've never had a flat on a LT tire on a 5th wheel.

Did you know ST tires can not be towed over 65 MPH? I now have had two explosions of ST tires, one on 2002 and now in 2014. Also one side wall hen egg bubble of an ST tire in 2002.

After 10 years ST tires are still MADE IN CHINA junk.

Bobby

curious

as I have ST tires and they say max 70 mph

Mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #84
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
curious

can't a mfg offer quality tires sized for max acceptable load?

if this happened with cars ppl would have a class action lawsuit N NTSB would be all over them

NTSB isn't going to delve into ST trailer tires. Much different than auto tires; far fewer users, far fewer failures and far more owner variable that can/could cause failure. Some will say to report all failures to NHTSA but as we can see, after all these years, that isn't going to work. The onus is on the owner and requires them to do their due diligence...just as every facet of RV ownership does.

Quality tires when trying to sell for the lowest price? Of course that won't happen and yes, the tires are sized and rated for the rated load...by the accepted math, which I don't accept BTW which requires replacing tires on a new trailer before it leaves the lot with me....part of the RV "game".
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 06:18 AM   #85
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
curious

as I have ST tires and they say max 70 mph

There is no speed letter for 70 MPH, therefore, the tire manufacturer can use option two and mold the speed rating onto the tire sidewall.

Publishing a tire speed rating is not acceptable without individual tire certification.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote