Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2022, 03:35 PM   #1
SHOTGUNNER

Toilet smell

New member check in. We have 2021 Outback 328RL pull with 2021 Chevy dually. Love the layout of the camper. But one big problem after you use the toilet a few days about 1/3 full it starts to burp when you flush and the smell is terrible. We do poop in it but use toilet chemicals. We had it back to dealer once and they said it needed cleaned did that and did not help. Thanks Mark
SHOTGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:47 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

First, welcome to the forum!

Next, RV toilets "burp" but usually as they are getting full - it's little way of telling you dump time is coming. How do you know its 1/3 full? If using the little light gauge don't believe it. You have a 38 gallon black tank. How many days is a "few" days? About day 3 it might burp a bit under normal usage (use lots of water when doing #2 to keep the solids "floating") and day 4 I used to dump IIRC with about that size tank. I use chemical packets each time I dump because I like the smell....of the packet! Are you flushing the black tank? If you aren't it might help if you did.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 03:55 PM   #3
SHOTGUNNER

No more than 3 days with 2 adult ten flushes maybe at the most. Yes we kept the black tank clean
Old 08-13-2022, 04:00 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

That sounds like it may be normal. I don't know what my gauge shows when mine burps because I don't use them as they are so inaccurate. I do use the burp as a notifier to pay attention and be ready to dump in a day or 2.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

We have almost the same size black tank and it gets emptied about every two days with 2 adults (well my missus and I am counting myself as an adult for statistics sake). You tank is full if it bumps. Our shower drains into our black tank (brilliant idea?) and it fills a bit quicker than it should if the shower was plumbed to the gray tank. Your monitor panel idiot lights are useless for the most part. Don't rely on them as they often are very inaccurate. The burp is your signal. We have little tablets we toss in once in awhile that are supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but most any tank treatment has worked as well. I can't recall the name of the product I purchase because of a rave review somewhere.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:11 PM   #6
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOTGUNNER View Post
New member check in. We have 2021 Outback 328RL pull with 2021 Chevy dually. Love the layout of the camper. But one big problem after you use the toilet a few days about 1/3 full it starts to burp when you flush and the smell is terrible. We do poop in it but use toilet chemicals. We had it back to dealer once and they said it needed cleaned did that and did not help. Thanks Mark
It sounds as if you have the dreaded "poop pyramid"! That's where fecal matter & paper pile up in the tank directly under the toilet & doesn't wash across to the opposite side of the tank to drain.
If so you'll need a length of old hose 3-5' long attached to a other hose, not your drinking water hose, to work down through the toilet to break up the pile. If you don't have one pick a clear fitting to attach to the rv drain then your drain hose so that you'll know when it clears up. If your rv is equipped with the black tank flush connection you can use it at the same time while working down through the toilet. It may take a considerable amount of flushing to get this worked out.
As already mentioned those pretty red lights on those tank levels are absolutely useless for any accurate tank levels.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 03:36 AM   #7
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Hope you get your problem fixed.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:46 AM   #8
bsmith0404

Water, water, and more water. My rule of thumb, we hold the pedal down for 10 seconds every time we flush the toilet. I don’t care if you’re just flushing a Kleenex. We don’t even use tank chemicals and have never had black tank smell…..well sometimes we get some sewer gas smell that comes back through the hose when we dump, but that’s coming from the sewer tank/line, not the black tank. One thing you could check is the tank vent, just make sure it’s not blocked up.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:01 AM   #9
SHOTGUNNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Water, water, and more water. My rule of thumb, we hold the pedal down for 10 seconds every time we flush the toilet. I don’t care if you’re just flushing a Kleenex. We don’t even use tank chemicals and have never had black tank smell…..well sometimes we get some sewer gas smell that comes back through the hose when we dump, but that’s coming from the sewer tank/line, not the black tank. One thing you could check is the tank vent, just make sure it’s not blocked up.
Thanks for the info

Tags
toilet