Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2022, 04:22 PM   #1
gearhead

Cummins water in fuel?

How often have you Ram Cummins folks had to drain water off the filters?
I had to for the first time this morning.
2018 one ton. Always MOPAR filters. Always changed well before due. Maybe at most 2000 miles on these filters.
Just after a fuel up from a busy Phillips 66 on I 35 in Oklahoma.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:03 PM   #2
jasin1

between my 2012 ram 6.7 and my sons 2013 6.7 i think i’ve only had the water light come on once?…i don’t do preventive draining of it but maybe i should? ..was it definitely water in it or was it just the light that came on?…id suspect bad fuel at the phillips 66.
maybe call them and see what they say,if it is water maybe other people complained..my 2020 ram just had the recall completed recently with all new injection pump and other components..not sure if they replaced the fuel filters
Old 08-16-2022, 05:23 PM   #3
gearhead

As soon as I opened the drain it smelled like diesel. Under the hood and the rear frame mounted filter.
I suspect a gremlin as I occasionally get the anti skid symbol pop up up on the screen.
I might do some preventive maintenance and drain about halfway through the filter life.
Old 08-16-2022, 05:41 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
As soon as I opened the drain it smelled like diesel. Under the hood and the rear frame mounted filter.
I suspect a gremlin as I occasionally get the anti skid symbol pop up up on the screen.
I might do some preventive maintenance and drain about halfway through the filter life.
yeah i’m glad you brought it up because i haven’t thought about it in a long time..i need to remind my son to get some filters.
i did read where people have had issues with the rear filter sensor wire harness getting wet when driving in heavy rain or snow..i’d just get an extra set of filters and keep them in the truck with a couple of tools if you ever had to replace them on the side of the road somewhere..but that’s only because of you having the light come on…also read where you should clean the sensor when the filter is out
Old 08-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
yeah i’m glad you brought it up because i haven’t thought about it in a long time..i need to remind my son to get some filters.
i did read where people have had issues with the rear filter sensor wire harness getting wet when driving in heavy rain or snow..i’d just get an extra set of filters and keep them in the truck with a couple of tools if you ever had to replace them on the side of the road somewhere..but that’s only because of you having the light come on…also read where you should clean the sensor when the filter is out
On long trips I keep spare fuel filters.
I bought a wrench for one of the filters.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:14 PM   #6
bsmith0404

Not a Ram, but I had one issue with my previous Duramax when I was transporting. Got bad fuel and had to drain the water. Unfortunately, I had 100 gallons of that fuel. Had to drain it a couple times and went through 3 filters, (well two that i threw out and the final one that i was able leave on) before I got it all run through. I have to say in over 300k miles and over 20k gallons of fuel running diesel trucks across this country, I feel pretty lucky only getting bad fuel once.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #7
hankpage
Site Team

I change my fuel filter every other oil change. (around 10 to 12k) Been using Mopar or Fleetguard filters in my Cummins since '94. Only once did I see a few drops of water come from the separator. I did however have to change filters three times when got a tank of B20 one time. Started out in my '94 with only using Hess and Conoco fuel, now only Conoco and Wawa. Being fussy on fuel or just lucky.
I can not imagine changing fuel filters every 2000 miles. Guess I have another reason to keep my 5.9, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:45 AM   #8
gearhead

A suggestion for Cummins owners: locate and put your hands on the filter drains. Both my 2016 and 2018 had just minimal owners manuals. The manual I had in my glovebox just said “drain the filters when the warning symbol pops up”. I you tubed it and found the MOPAR procedure and warning about overtightening the rear drain. Luckily I had Betty’s step stool to help reach over the fender and operate the under hood drain. You will get diesel on you draining the rear filter. I had 2 boxes of vinyl gloves in the truck, think I used them? No.
Anyway, I ran the Phillips 66 diesel from Davis Ok down to Bucees in Madisonville Tx.
A side note…the price spread of diesel between the big truck stops and regular stations seem to have decreased.
Also I survived Dallas. I used I 35 northbound. It was a mess at mid day Sunday. Used Loop 635 around the east side mid day Tuesday. A lot longer but slightly less drama.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:22 AM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
A suggestion for Cummins owners: locate and put your hands on the filter drains. Both my 2016 and 2018 had just minimal owners manuals. The manual I had in my glovebox just said “drain the filters when the warning symbol pops up”. I you tubed it and found the MOPAR procedure and warning about overtightening the rear drain. Luckily I had Betty’s step stool to help reach over the fender and operate the under hood drain. You will get diesel on you draining the rear filter. I had 2 boxes of vinyl gloves in the truck, think I used them? No.
Anyway, I ran the Phillips 66 diesel from Davis Ok down to Bucees in Madisonville Tx.
A side note…the price spread of diesel between the big truck stops and regular stations seem to have decreased.
Also I survived Dallas. I used I 35 northbound. It was a mess at mid day Sunday. Used Loop 635 around the east side mid day Tuesday. A lot longer but slightly less drama.
forgive me in advance as i think i told this story before

i was friends with a guy that used to own a large local marina. very eccentric older gentleman that i drank beer with and listened to all of the fascinating stories about his life…he would take his 78’ ( length on water..85’ overall) 1926 Luders yacht ( “Christmas Tree”) back in the 1960s and 70s down to Florida for the winter. he was a phillips 66 dealer for his gas dock here in MD. Apparently any dealer could tie up at pier 66 marina in Florida as a perk…he stayed there and used to tie up behind the yacht owned by Jimmy Dean..he ended up buying a waterfront home just across from pier 66 to winter in…this man in the 50s 60s and early seventies used to buy a new cadillac every year by writing a check..that’s how he paid for EVERYTHING…in his later years he wasn’t so fancy..drove an older Ford cargo van and had a 70s or 80s gmc motorhome…he used to take his wife and grown son who was autistic to dinner in the old gmc…his place was like a museum..had an old packard Harley service trike and other neat things…you would never know this man was a multi millionaire but he could write a check for almost anything he wanted …in the end he just wanted someone to talk to and i was grateful to be able to listen

edit: he even wrote a check for all of his vehicle fuel at the local gas station once a week
and his yacht was eventually sold to a guy that used it for drug offloads in florida apparently..it was seized and left derelict for a few years..he was contacted as the last registered owner when the tv series Miami Vice started. they used his old yacht in the 1st episode and blew it up..they contacted him to see if he wanted to fly down and witness it…at least that’s what he told me
Old 08-17-2022, 05:37 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Interesting story. That’s always an interesting phone call to get. I had a car that was totaled in a rear ender. I guess the insurance sold it at an auction. 2 years later I was contacted as the last registered owner, it had been seized at the border in a drug trafficking bust. A bit off track from this thread…..
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, water