Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-03-2022, 08:14 PM   #21
Nankipoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Halls
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
explain because
"How it is wired" is a new one on me. Like I said each leg of a 220vac breaker (on a conventional house panel) pulls off of one (separate) 120vac lug in the box. Each leg sends out 120vac to the receptacle. I know of no other way to wire 220vac, please explain how to wire differently
I'd like to know also. That's how mines wired.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:11 PM   #22
travelin texans
Senior Member
 
travelin texans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Picacho Peak Rv Resort
Posts: 6,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM3M View Post
explain because
"How it is wired" is a new one on me. Like I said each leg of a 220vac breaker (on a conventional house panel) pulls off of one (separate) 120vac lug in the box. Each leg sends out 120vac to the receptacle. I know of no other way to wire 220vac, please explain how to wire differently
I'm not an electrician, so WTF do I know!
Plug it in, if it works you're golden! If it smokes it was probably wrong!
__________________
Danny & Linda
Full-timed 10+ years
Sold '13 Redwood FB
Traded '13 GMC Denali DRW D/A
Currently rv & truckless
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #23
bsmith0404
Senior Member
 
bsmith0404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Las Cruces
Posts: 4,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'm not an electrician, so WTF do I know!
Plug it in, if it works you're golden! If it smokes it was probably wrong!
Basically, a 3 prong 240v outlet has two hot wires, one to each leg on a double throw breaker and a ground. An RV 120v plug only has one hot wire off the breaker, a neutral and a ground. All 4 prong outlets are wired with two hot wires, 120 v on each leg, a neutral and a ground, doesnít matter if itís RV or household such as a dryer. The area where people get into trouble and smoke their rv is on improperly wired 3 prong plugs.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:55 PM   #24
Captainf2
Member
 
Captainf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: REHOBOTH
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Actually a 50 amp RV can utilize 100 amps.. each leg is 50 amps with the normal configuration for air conditioners wired one on each leg..

When connected to a RV 50 amp pedestal thatís 12,000 watts Ö
Chuck,
My 50 amp can't be normal config because both my a/c are on the same leg by my EMS showing 29 amps and 6 Amps. Must have the micro, electric fireplace and washer dryer on the other leg. Just guessing, but you would think they would have split them
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:01 PM   #25
Captainf2
Member
 
Captainf2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: REHOBOTH
Posts: 39
4 wire brings a separate neutral into the plug with the ground and two legs
Captainf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:16 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 15,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainf2 View Post
Chuck,
My 50 amp can't be normal config because both my a/c are on the same leg by my EMS showing 29 amps and 6 Amps. Must have the micro, electric fireplace and washer dryer on the other leg. Just guessing, but you would think they would have split them

Mine is the same way which I don't like. In the hot weather here in TX the A/Cs run continuously. Right now it's pulling 30A on one leg and 0 on the other. I'm going out in about 5 minutes and rebalance the power center to eliminate that. The 2 A/C breakers only have one 15A between them and they get pretty warm side by side. Been meaning to do it for a while but keep forgetting/putting it off. Running outside the house for a week helps me remember...
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 55 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #27
CedarCreekWoody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Trinidad,TX
Posts: 769
In post 13 bobecky refers to 208Y power and how it is wired. Several asked what he was referring to. I'm no electrician but I think he is referring to commercial power that I've encountered in large buildings. It involves 3 phase wiring and voltages of 480 and 277 volts. The cables have 3 hot legs, not two like we normally see. Maybe we have an actual electrician on the forum that can explain commercial power and correct errors that I've likely made in my comments above.

Edit: I will add that I've never encountered such wiring on campground systems but I suppose it is possible.
__________________
Woody
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2019 Laredo 290 SRL
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:21 PM   #28
sourdough
Site Team
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: W. Texas
Posts: 15,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mine is the same way which I don't like. In the hot weather here in TX the A/Cs run continuously. Right now it's pulling 30A on one leg and 0 on the other. I'm going out in about 5 minutes and rebalance the power center to eliminate that. The 2 A/C breakers only have one 15A between them and they get pretty warm side by side. Been meaning to do it for a while but keep forgetting/putting it off. Running outside the house for a week helps me remember...

Just a follow up on my comments about running 2 A/Cs on one leg; moved the power to the breakers around to rebalance the load on each side of the 50A service. It was 30A (when I read it) on one side, 0A on the other. Rewired the panel, fired everything up and now I have 15A one side and 16A the other....I like that better.
__________________
Danny & Susan wife of 55 years
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie CC SB 6.4 4x4 4.10
2020 Montana High Country 331RL
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:44 PM   #29
Nankipoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Halls
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Just a follow up on my comments about running 2 A/Cs on one leg; moved the power to the breakers around to rebalance the load on each side of the 50A service. It was 30A (when I read it) on one side, 0A on the other. Rewired the panel, fired everything up and now I have 15A one side and 16A the other....I like that better.
I need to check how mines wired. That only makes sense. Simple fix.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:47 PM   #30
chuckster57
Site Team
 
chuckster57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Modesto
Posts: 17,489
All the 50A trailer that I have seen with 2 ACís have them on opposite legs. Even the 50A with 3 ACís put 1 one the ďotherĒ leg.
__________________

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:52 PM   #31
Nankipoo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Halls
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
All the 50A trailer that I have seen with 2 ACís have them on opposite legs. Even the 50A with 3 ACís put 1 one the ďotherĒ leg.
That only makes sense. But I'm sure some of the engineers behind desk didn't think of that.
Nankipoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 06:20 AM   #32
Pathfinder75
Junior Member
 
Pathfinder75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Dixon
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainf2 View Post
Chuck,
My 50 amp can't be normal config because both my a/c are on the same leg by my EMS showing 29 amps and 6 Amps. Must have the micro, electric fireplace and washer dryer on the other leg. Just guessing, but you would think they would have split them
Agree. My 2017 Montana HC had both a/c on the same leg. Had to change to opposite legs then changed fireplace and water heater to opposite legs to balance the high draw items. Much easier for power management when using generators that supply 30amp to each leg. Such as a typical 7K generator with 240v 30amp breaker.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #33
CedarCreekWoody
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Trinidad,TX
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nankipoo View Post
That only makes sense. But I'm sure some of the engineers behind desk didn't think of that.
Most likely engineered properly but installed by an installer not very smart or not paying attention. I won't glorify him with the title "technician."
__________________
Woody
Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2019 Laredo 290 SRL
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:53 PM   #34
Prairie ville
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2022
Location: Casper
Posts: 2
120/208 (277/480) VAC is a 3 phase voltage, commercial and industrial use for the most part



120/240 VAC is a single phase voltage, residential use for the most part.


My .02$
Prairie ville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates in any way. Keystone RVģ is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.