Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2022, 05:26 AM   #21
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Steve View Post
If it has the thicker frame and heavier axles wont that make it ride like a 3/4 ton? Put LT tires on it and now you have a F150/250 hybrid? I would stick with the more robust truck especially if its paid for.
I've not driven one but the consensus on the Ford forums seems to indicate the HDPP rides/drives more like an F150 than a Super Duty.

Personally - and I'll probably get grief for this - not sure why there is such a concern with selling the current trailer and downsizing. If OP wants to switch to towing with a 1/2 ton, one with 1800-1900 lbs. of payload and properly equipped for towing can surely tow a 7K GVWR trailer safely, and be well within it's ratings. That trailer is not even 28' long.

Full disclosure - I traded 'up' to a SD after getting snookered by the '1/2 ton towable' sales spiel, but I have 5' more trailer and a 9500 lb. GVWR. Even loaded up to 8400 lbs I was still - although barely - under payload and axle capacity on my F150. I had 1870 lbs of payload. Knock off that 5' and a minimum of 1400 lbs and I'd likely still be towing with that F150 today.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote