Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2022, 06:16 AM   #1
friz

Diesel Fuel Price in GA.

I thought this may be of interest to those of us who buy diesel fuel. Looking at the Open Roads app (EFS) last night. There is a T/A south of Atlanta (Jacksopn?) on I 75 selling diesel for $3.88 to EFS members. Earlier this summer I canxed a 1100 mile (one way) trip to Michigan due to the nose bleed high price of diesel, over $6. The trip would have cost us almost $700 one way in fuel. At $3.88 it would now cost est. $372! That is affordable for a fixed income with the stock market in a nose dive.There is a T/A Petco about 40 miles south of me selling EFS diesel for $4.22. I don't have an Aux tank so I am playing with the idea of a couple of 55 gal drums in the bed. I will look at the price again the end of the month. We may make a late summer trip to NW Michigan.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:00 AM   #2
notanlines

Friz, not only NO, but HELL NO to the idea of drums in the bed. Bad, bad idea.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #3
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Friz, not only NO, but HELL NO to the idea of drums in the bed. Bad, bad idea.

Well, being so emphatic I assume you have some authoritative explanation as to "HELL NO". But then again that is something I will decide for myself and/or write a separate post about transporting diesel fuel. Thanks anyway. The point of the post is "diesel fuel price".
Old 08-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Friz, point is, it's dangerouse and likely illegal to transport fuel in drums without placards on the side and some safety gear. I think that went out with the old WWII movies. Yes, it's your decision, so is eating poison mushrooms but point is doing that has the potential to endanger others. If you don't want folks to comment on a statement like that then maybe you should keep it to yourself. This is a forum and folks can comment on whatever they wish within reason. If you need some "authorities explination" then please read the forum rules.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Ahhhh Marshal, you exude human kindness this morning. I think the fella had a point regarding your terse answer. Perhaps he didn't know it was illegal (i am assuming it is since you are a fairly sharp guy). I carry 5 gallon gas cans from the service station all the time to feed my mower, lawn tractor and the like. How else would you get fuel back from the service station. I have seen lots of diesels with aux tanks and never seen a DOT placard.... how can these tanks be different than a fuel drum? Curious minds want to know...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Ahhhh Marshal, you exude human kindness this morning. I think the fella had a point regarding your terse answer. Perhaps he didn't know it was illegal (i am assuming it is since you are a fairly sharp guy). I carry 5 gallon gas cans from the service station all the time to feed my mower, lawn tractor and the like. How else would you get fuel back from the service station. I have seen lots of diesels with aux tanks and never seen a DOT placard.... how can these tanks be different than a fuel drum? Curious minds want to know...
Geeze George, you won't find a placard on a fuel tank bolted down on a any car or truck. There's a difference between a fuel tank with baffles bolted down than there is is with a 55 gal drum(s). Note turned, just facts. BTW a 5 gal can is NOT 55 or 110 gals. I would that would be obvious to anyone.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:24 AM   #7
friz

Not unusual, unsubstantiated sarcasm. It fact, you do not know do you? "probably...., went out with...", great arguments. I would think your pen pal can speak for himself. From him dispassionate comments would be welcomed. From you, no thank you for the advice. I was hoping for a discussion about diesel fuel prices around the country. It was not at all subtle.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:34 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
You're hauling 5+/- gallons in DOT approved containers designed for that one & only purpose. Using a 55 gallon drum that had who knows what previously with no DOT certification or placards to haul diesel fuel is not only illegal, very dangerous & for sure not the smartest thing a guy could do, regardless how cheap the fuel may be.
Hopefully that remark was tongue in cheek & not seriously considering doing so, but just for others reading that DO NOT consider that a safe or intelligent way to save a couple $$ on fuel. If you want/feel the need to haul extra fuel there are legally approved auxiliary tanks & replacement larger OEM tanks available.
Fill your tank & your "approved" auxiliary tank & call it good, the price may be even cheaper next week.
In this area both diesel & gas have dropped 50-60 cents in the last 10 & continues to drop a couple cents every couple days.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:38 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Not unusual, unsubstantiated sarcasm. It fact, you do not know do you? "probably...., went out with...", great arguments. I would think your pen pal can speak for himself. From him dispassionate comments would be welcomed. From you, no thank you for the advice. I was hoping for a discussion about diesel fuel prices around the country. It was not at all subtle.
Wow, ok then, good luck on your "new thread".
Old 08-06-2022, 09:40 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You're hauling 5+/- gallons in DOT approved containers designed for that one & only purpose. Using a 55 gallon drum that had who knows what previously with no DOT certification or placards to haul diesel fuel is not only illegal, very dangerous & for sure not the smartest thing a guy could do, regardless how cheap the fuel may be.
Hopefully that remark was tongue in cheek & not seriously considering doing so, but just for others reading that DO NOT consider that a safe or intelligent way to save a couple $$ on fuel. If you want/feel the need to haul extra fuel there are legally approved auxiliary tanks & replacement larger OEM tanks available.
Fill your tank & your "approved" auxiliary tank & call it good, the price may be even cheaper next week.
In this area both diesel & gas have dropped 50-60 cents in the last 10 & continues to drop a couple cents every couple days.
Danny, You are repeating yourself. And Mr. Friz, there is already a long running thread on fuel prices somewhere. I guess it must run out of steam as it doesn't seem to be in the current top posts.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...highlight=fuel
Old 08-06-2022, 09:50 AM   #11
CedarCreekWoody

Here are the DOT requirements:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf nrcs144p2_043004.pdf (18.4 KB, 92 views)
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Woody, Those requirements are for commercial vehicles but they do show what DOT considers the level of safety as the size of the container increases. Two 55 gallon drums would also change your center of gravity and carrying around an extra 800 lbs.+ would cut mpg also. Portable approved fuel containers from 5 to 25 gal. are much safer and easier to secure, refuel and remove when full or empty. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:12 AM   #13
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Woody, Those requirements are for commercial vehicles but they do show what DOT considers the level of safety as the size of the container increases. Two 55 gallon drums would also change your center of gravity and carrying around an extra 800 lbs.+ would cut mpg also. Portable approved fuel containers from 5 to 25 gal. are much safer and easier to secure, refuel and remove when full or empty. JM2˘, Hank
No argument here!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 11:16 AM   #14
travelin texans

Quote:
Danny, You are repeating yourself. And Mr. Friz, there is already a long running thread on fuel prices somewhere. I guess it must run out of steam as it doesn't seem to be in the current top posts.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...highlight=fuel
Don't see or read where I repeated myself, so pardon me if you had to read too much.
Replacement undetermined
Old 08-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
wiredgeorge

Danny, Post #8 was repeated earlier. Not there now so no double post. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-06-2022, 12:31 PM   #16
RVGator

I filled up at that T/A on the way home. Sure enough less than $4 with the open roads cards. That card saved me hundreds this summer.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #17
bsmith0404

It’s definitely been dropping and hopefully will continue to drop. The open roads card saves us a ton of money on our recent, 30 day 3700 mile round trip. I considered installing an aux tank before we left because I new prices in some areas were much higher than others. After doing some math on it, probably would have saved me somewhere around $60-70. Considering our fuel cost for the trip was over $1500, that $60-70 wasn’t that significant and definitely not worth the cost of an aux tank. In your case, the 110 gallons in 55 gallon drums would probably save $30-40 depending on differences in fuel prices along the route. IMO, that’s not worth the hassle it would create. I’m not going to get into safety argument,, diesel is a lot different than gasoline, but any type of fuel container of that size should be secured in some fashion.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 03:44 PM   #18
Canonman

Our son sent us a pic from the Walmart Fuel Center in Clarksville, TN $4.49 Diesel and $3.23 unleaded.
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #19
xrated

Quote:
Here ya go, can't say that anymore....
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:20 PM   #20
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Here ya go, can't say that anymore....
Most aux tanks are only rated for diesel, it would be very rare to find one approved for gasoline.
Replacement undetermined

Tags
fuel