Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 12:52 AM   #1
RVGator

GM Truck Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System

My 2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD came with the factory trailer TPMS system. I have long wanted to install these on my 5th wheel and finally got around to doing it. My 5ver has G rated 110psi tires on it and when I first took it to Discount Tire to have the GM valve stems installed they told me that the GM valve stems were too small. The rim hole size on the trailer were .625, much larger than the supplied stems from GM. So I went home with my tail between my legs.

I did some research online and found a company in Arizona that makes the larger stems that will take the GM sensors. The company is Nichols Manufacturing(link below). You can send them your originals and they will send you new ones, or you can buy new ones, swap the sensors, and return the old stems to them as a core charge. I sent them the cores and they quickly sent back the new diameter ones. Installing the sensor on was quick and I returned to Discount Tire to have them put on.

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...-hole-size-625

Installation went smoothly at DT with the only hiccup being that their air lines are only capable of getting to 90 psi so when I returned home I had to inflate the tires back up to the 110psi they run at. Pairing the sensors to the truck was simple enough and DT took care of that for me.

It is extremely nice having the integrated system in the truck and not having to have a separate unit mounted somewhere on the dash or windshield.

Thanks to the team at Discount Tire and Nichols Manufacturing for helping getting me up and going.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:40 AM   #2
John Dennis

Hi RVGator ,
Thanks for posting GM Truck Trailer Tire Pressure Monitoring System . Ive been trying to figure what sensors one can use on my Montana High Country 331RL . I own a 2023 GMC 2500 HD with 5th wheel trailer options . There has been lots of information on TPMS for the truck itself , but your post is the first I found on adding TPMS to the trailer , and to work with the truck on board TPMS monitoring system .
I too would have bought the GM sensors thing they would work with the RV tires !
Glad you saved me some time and money .
John Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 01:53 PM   #3
Earle of Duke

Earle Of Duke

I also purchased tire sensors from GMC with my new 2022 GMC HD3500. they are supposed to work with the on board TPM system. I will report back if they fit my Keystone Alpine 3650RL original rims. My original tires have only lasted 11000 miles before significant inside wear on the rear tires especially. So I am replacing all 4 tires.
Earle of Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 05:14 AM   #4
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle of Duke View Post
I also purchased tire sensors from GMC with my new 2022 GMC HD3500. they are supposed to work with the on board TPM system. I will report back if they fit my Keystone Alpine 3650RL original rims. My original tires have only lasted 11000 miles before significant inside wear on the rear tires especially. So I am replacing all 4 tires.
Be sure to have the axles aligned or you’ll be replacing the next set of tires in 11,000 miles.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Just out of curiosity, does the GM truck TMPS monitor only pressure? Or, does it also monitor temperature? The Ford systems I've seen only monitor pressure.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 10:37 AM   #6
firestation12

Here’s a screen shot of F350 TPMS. Only complaint is the temp is a separate screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4215.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	45427  
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
Earle of Duke

Thanks. That thought crossed my mind, but this was purchased new from Keystone. This was my 1st 5th wheel and also my 1st dealing with G rated tires. On my initial trip, I checked the tires, and they were at 80 PSI. I confirmed with the sticker on the RV and it said 110 PSI! That was such a difference I started asking around and eventually called the dealer I purchased it from. The dealer national help desk confirmed 80 PSI, so I left them at 80 PSI, even though the tires said 110 PSI cold. I was concerned 110 PSI was to much. I believe that was what wore down the tires. Luckily for me I found the worn-down tires at a campground. I have done research at tire dealers and online. Everyone is confirming set the temp to the max at cold rating of the tires. I have 4 new tires and that will be the PSI I will now go with. I asked Keystone if the alignment check would be covered on the 3 year original warranty and they said it would not.
Old 10-17-2023, 11:42 AM   #8
Earle of Duke

From the videos I have watched on how to sync the sensors to the truck, the displays show both temperature and pressure, on the same screen. I am installing the on my new RV tires very soon and will confirm, then report back.
Old 10-19-2023, 05:54 AM   #9
John Dennis

GM TPMS sensors failures ?

Bought 4 GM sensors from a parts dealer in my area for my 2023 Keystone Montana High Country 331RL .
I had them installed by a tire shop in my area .
One of the sensors failed to connect to my 2023 GMC 2500HD immediately .
The tire shop replaced it with AUTEL sensor .
On my trip this past weak I have been getting false readings of pressure and temperature from the other 3 GM sensors , but not the AUTEL sensor !
The AUTEL sensor has been accurate the GM sensors set off false temperature and pressure readings , causing me to pull over several times to manually check the tire pressure and tire temp .
Not sure if having a different brand of sensor is causing the problem or the GM sensors are just junk !
When I return back from my trip I will have the other three tires switched over to the Autel sensors and see what happens .
John Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote