Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
nickofosho

Dometic A/C "Issue"

We had an "issue" with our 2020 Hideout 28BHS TT that turned out to be a quirk of the model. I thought I share in case anyone else has experienced the same problem and hopefully save them some head scratching.

Our TT's Dometic A/C worked great for about 9 months and then began to only work intermittently. Some trips the A/C would work great, others it wouldn't turn on and only make a clicking noise. We had a few other minor issues with the TT so I decided to take it to the dealer before the warranty expired.

The service team was great, but couldn't replicate the issue with the A/C. They suggested it was user error and that it wouldn't work on anything less than a 30 amp circuit as a safety feature on the A/C unit. The A/C runs through a 20 amp circuit in the TT and I'd swear I had run if just fine from the 20 amp circuit I use for shore power at my home, but the service team convinced me that there was no issue and the A/C would only run on 30 amps.

I took the TT home and we headed out to the Eastern Sierras for some BLM camping. After a week of hot July camping in the dirt, we decided to stop at an RV park in Paso Robles, CA for some pool time and A/C. Once there, where the temp was close to 100F, and plugged into the 30 amp service... No A/C! Just the clicking sound.

At this point, our factory warranty had expired and I reached out to Dometic, but they just suggested I take it back to the dealer.

Fast forward to a few days ago and we are camping at another RV park with 30 amp service. I decided to tinker with the A/C and then it hit me, the reason why the A/C only worked some of the time.

The TT is equipped with an onboard vacuum and whenever you start it up, the microwave turns off completely and automatically. The vacuum and microwave are on the same circuit breaker and a built in safety prevents them from running simultaneously. The TT is also equipped with an electric fireplace which has a residential style light switch as a master cut off hidden in the shelf above the fireplace. I flipped the switch off, killing the power to the fireplace and the A/C fired right up. The A/C and the fireplace are on the same circuit. I smacked my forehead and laughed. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of that! Anyway, it seems super simple, but it took me 6 months and a lot of frustration to figure it out.

Hopefully my adventure in RVing will save someone else some frustration.
nickofosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
LHaven

So the fireplace doesn't have to be running to lock out the A/C, it just has to be enabled? 🤦
Old 01-01-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
nickofosho

Exactly! Glad I’m not the only one that sees how absurd it is that adult designers and engineers thought this was a good idea and also chose not to include a note about it. Ha!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:12 PM   #4
ChuckS

Page 4 of this link will help help you understand the power management circuit the Intervac has that allows the microwave and central,vac to share the same breaker

https://www.intervacdesign.com/image...8149&CFTOKEN=0

Also that A/C unit should not be wired to the same breaker as the fireplace is.. overload for certain …

I also would not recommend trying to run either a 13.5 or 15 roof A/C from only a 20 amp feed… the compressor on either unit drawers well over 20 amps on initial startup and is a sure fired way to shorten the life of the unit..

The converter alone would draw at least 5 amps off the shore power feed in thus lowering that 20 amp down to 15..

YMMV

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
nickofosho

Got it, that’s for the info. I hadn’t thought of it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Page 4 of this link will help help you understand the power management circuit the Intervac has that allows the microwave and central,vac to share the same breaker

https://www.intervacdesign.com/image...8149&CFTOKEN=0

Also that A/C unit should not be wired to the same breaker as the fireplace is.. overload for certain …

I also would not recommend trying to run either a 13.5 or 15 roof A/C from only a 20 amp feed… the compressor on either unit drawers well over 20 amps on initial startup and is a sure fired way to shorten the life of the unit..

The converter alone would draw at least 5 amps off the shore power feed in thus lowering that 20 amp down to 15..

YMMV
Old 01-02-2022, 11:58 AM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
It sounds like the entire purpose of that switch is to make that work by locking one out when the other one is in-circuit.
Old 01-02-2022, 05:11 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
It sounds like the entire purpose of that switch is to make that work by locking one out when the other one is in-circuit.
That is correct. I've also seen it on microwave circuit with that a/b switch.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 06:50 AM   #8
ChuckS

Its an ignorant way to wire the A/C and fireplace on the same circuit with a manual switch to allow power to one or the other... Cheap build practice and a headache for many owners...

Just like the Intervac power share feature... they usually wire the water heater (120 side heating) and the Intervac on one 15 amp breaker and then use the built in auto power share feature on the Intervac... to control operation of the two items

Poor design and when the Intervac circuit board fails now you not only have no central vacuum but you also have no hot water on the 120 heating side...

Some Alpines were wired this way.. Mine is not ( and I have central vac).. But its not an Intervac system...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:41 PM   #9
KimNTerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickofosho View Post
The TT is also equipped with an electric fireplace which has a residential style light switch as a master cut off hidden in the shelf above the fireplace. I flipped the switch off, killing the power to the fireplace and the A/C fired right up. The A/C and the fireplace are on the same circuit. I smacked my forehead and laughed. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of that! Anyway, it seems super simple, but it took me 6 months and a lot of frustration to figure it out.

Hopefully my adventure in RVing will save someone else some frustration.
My trailer has the same "feature" I can't tell you how many times this has tripped me up.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic