Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #1
KarenK

Unknown switch on new camper

Just got our new camper home and still figuring stuff out. It's 2007 Crossroads cruiser 28rl. Original owner even put a power awning on it, and it has a bedroom slide/dresser/closet. Twisted husband's arm to go look at it. He thought I was nuts after all the work I put into ours. I thought it was a nice upgrade for less than 10,000. Will be better for us now that I've got DH on board for taking some out of state trips. Helped that he has a 2019 duramax with 25K miles coming as soon as the seller's new truck comes in.

This control panel has a flat switch that I can't figure out what it does. Some of the lights bulbs are out and I have to get leds to replace them all but don't think it is for lights. Also noticed the both slide switches the in/out are backwards and the same with the front jacks ret/ext. What would cause that? Seller did say they put a new plug on it, could it be wired backwards? Did I mention it has a power awning, lol? It's too cold here to really investigate much but hopefully we'll have a couple mild days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211219_141547.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	37542  
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have a ceiling fan, it’s probably for that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:02 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

You said the trailer has two slides. I only see one "conventional slide switch" in that panel. Could the switch in question operate the other slide?

Also, if "everything is operating backwards" I'd first check the battery to make sure it's connected correctly... On "newer trailers" with black/red color cables, black is NEG. On older trailers with black/white color cables, black is POS...

If the battery is connected backwards, everything will operate "backwards" and the furnace/thermostat probably won't work. If that's what you find, then you'll also need to replace the two "reverse polarity fuses" on the converter/power distribution panel. Older converters had the fuses on the converter (usually behind the power panel) on newer trailers, the reverse polarity switches are on the face of the fuse/circuit breaker panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REVERSE POLARITY FUSES ON CONVERTER.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	37544   Click image for larger version

Name:	REVERSE POLARITY FUSES ON FUSE PANEL.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	37545  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
You said the trailer has two slides. I only see one "conventional slide switch" in that panel. Could the switch in question operate the other slide?

Also, if "everything is operating backwards" I'd first check the battery to make sure it's connected correctly... On "newer trailers" with black/red color cables, black is NEG. On older trailers with black/white color cables, black is POS...

If the battery is connected backwards, everything will operate "backwards" and the furnace/thermostat probably won't work. If that's what you find, then you'll also need to replace the two "reverse polarity fuses" on the converter/power distribution panel. Older converters had the fuses on the converter (usually behind the power panel) on newer trailers, the reverse polarity switches are on the face of the fuse/circuit breaker panel.
Thanks John, we'll check that out. Guy did fiddle around a bit hooking up a battery at the storage place. It also has a metal jumper disconnect thing that we didn't have on ours. Bed slide switch is up front in hall. Wish we had last weeks weather.

Chuck, no ceiling fan.
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 12-19-2021, 05:20 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Yep, last week's weather was a tad bit unusual for this area in December. In fact, it was unusual for April and May as well. We enjoyed it while it lasted, but we lost all the snow we had and what was "fair snowmobiling trails" is now, SNIRT or SNAND which means it's best to just stay inside and drink beer.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
KarenK

Quote:

The next day that battery was dead and electrical wasn't working. Photo clearly shows the black/pos and white/neg sticker. The seller had hooked it up wrong. The camper had a full inspection and the place was local so I was going to take the inspection paper with photos and ask them since they had added the disconnect (and probably the red wire) which created the confusion.

Husband put a new battery in this morning and said the electric is working. I'll check the fuses on the converter. Manuel said they're under the bed where the middle section is boxed off for some electrical. Breaker panel looks exactly like the one you showed me. Do I need to disconnect battery and electric when changing fuses? Hate to pester the husband again. Just want to level it out which he could have done when he parked it. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20211220_122351.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	37546   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211220_122420.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	37547  
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 12-21-2021, 08:05 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

You don’t have to, but it’s a good idea. I’ve seen small sparks sometimes. Glad you got it figured out.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #8
Wxman

And just for clarity (for me and maybe for OP), the reverse polarity fuses should be one place or the other, fuse panel or back of converter, but not both. Correct?

Thanks
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
And just for clarity (for me and maybe for OP), the reverse polarity fuses should be one place or the other, fuse panel or back of converter, but not both. Correct?

Thanks
Yes. Fuse panel if the converter is in the lower half of the distribution panel and on the back of a seperate plug in converter.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
You don’t have to, but it’s a good idea. I’ve seen small sparks sometimes. Glad you got it figured out.
Thanks, got it level enough to work on it. Truck goes in the shop in the morning so glad to get that done. Splitting my time between cleaning the house for family Xmas and working on the camper. Young couple that bought it earlier this year had planned on camp hosting until their employer offered the $3 an hour each to not quit their jobs. They had started to remodel so I've got stuff to put back together and clean up. Sure I'll have more questions and really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and helpfulness you all share here.
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 12-21-2021, 10:28 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Your welcome. Feel free to ask any question, this forum is your greatest resource for answers.

Old 12-21-2021, 10:39 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post

Thanks
GENERALLY SPEAKING, yes, they will be in "one place or the other, not both" on OEM installations... That said, on a 15 or 20 year old trailer, if someone needed to replace the power distribution panel or if they needed to replace the converter/charger, and couldn't find an "exact replacement" or found a "newer, cheaper model" they may have a "converter with fuses AND a power distribution panel with fuses" or they may have an old power distribution panel with no fuses and a newer converter with no fuses.....

So, if the system is "from the factory" then you'll find fuses in "one place or in the other"... If a "rogue owner" modified the system with parts he had available, then all bets are off......

The OP's red battery cable to replace the black one is a "vivid example" of what owners can (and will) do that make a "hybrid system out of an OEM system"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-21-2021, 06:43 PM   #13
KarenK

Quote:
GENERALLY SPEAKING, yes, they will be in "one place or the other, not both" on OEM installations... That said, on a 15 or 20 year old trailer, if someone needed to replace the power distribution panel or if they needed to replace the converter/charger, and couldn't find an "exact replacement" or found a "newer, cheaper model" they may have a "converter with fuses AND a power distribution panel with fuses" or they may have an old power distribution panel with no fuses and a newer converter with no fuses.....

So, if the system is "from the factory" then you'll find fuses in "one place or in the other"... If a "rogue owner" modified the system with parts he had available, then all bets are off......

The OP's red battery cable to replace the black one is a "vivid example" of what owners can (and will) do that make a "hybrid system out of an OEM system"....
My fuses were the two 40 amps ones just like in the picture John posted above in the 3rd post showing the fuse panel. The sticker just above them talks about having to replace them when the battery is connected in reverse.

Now deciding if I color code the battery wires with electrical tape, white for neg and black for pos OR use the more common standard or red being positive and tape them that way. We won't forget but if I have a helper doing the heavy lifting they could.
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 12-26-2021, 12:29 PM   #14
LERD

Well getting back to your original question about the switch. I would venture to say that your switch is for an outside outlet up high by your awning. My 07 Copper Canyon has that same switch for mine. It's the only switch I have that looks like that because it not 12v, but 110v. However my switch is on the outside wall. This was before pre-installed outside awning lights
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #15
KarenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
Well getting back to your original question about the switch. I would venture to say that your switch is for an outside outlet up high by your awning. My 07 Copper Canyon has that same switch for mine. It's the only switch I have that looks like that because it not 12v, but 110v. However my switch is on the outside wall. This was before pre-installed outside awning lights
I'll check that tomorrow, makes sense, I did see a second outlet high up by the awning edge. Thank you!
Past
1997 Jayco 253
Old 12-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #16
TomTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
Just got our new camper home and still figuring stuff out. It's 2007 Crossroads cruiser 28rl. Original owner even put a power awning on it, and it has a bedroom slide/dresser/closet. Twisted husband's arm to go look at it. He thought I was nuts after all the work I put into ours. I thought it was a nice upgrade for less than 10,000. Will be better for us now that I've got DH on board for taking some out of state trips. Helped that he has a 2019 duramax with 25K miles coming as soon as the seller's new truck comes in.

This control panel has a flat switch that I can't figure out what it does. Some of the lights bulbs are out and I have to get leds to replace them all but don't think it is for lights. Also noticed the both slide switches the in/out are backwards and the same with the front jacks ret/ext. What would cause that? Seller did say they put a new plug on it, could it be wired backwards? Did I mention it has a power awning, lol? It's too cold here to really investigate much but hopefully we'll have a couple mild days.
Ceiling fan in our AV295RK
The panel they use covers multiple models. I have a 3rd gray and a 2nd black switch that are inop.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote