Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2021, 08:23 AM   #1
RK1978

Handicap door lift

I am not sure what part of the forum to put this, but since it is a question about a modification, it will go here. My wife has a progressive neurological disorder that has put her in a wheelchair and is making travel more and more difficult. I have changed things and added grab bars inside the trailer to help her get around and we use a rolling stool in place of a wheelchair since there is no room for one inside. The big problem is getting her in and out. We are managing but it is becoming more difficult as she gets worse and I get older. I have been looking at lifts that mount at the door and allow access. Burr seems to be the major manufacturer of these, and they seem to do what we need. Have any of you installed and/or used one of these? How much trouble are they to install? If there are any ideas for alternatives out there I would be glad to hear about those as well. We are not ready to give up traveling yet.
Thank you,
PR
2008 Hideout
RK1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 11:45 AM   #2
Sarge2

there is another company called Coachlift that mades them as well...
Coachlift.com
Sarge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Before spending money on a chair lift I would check out the requirenments very carefuly. Travel trailers are notoriously flimsy in construction and the door, door frame and floor most likely would not support any kind of lift system without some major structural modifications. I would consult with a company that does modifications to vans or ambulances before mounting something that could possible rip out the door frame or floor.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:58 PM   #4
Camping family

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Before spending money on a chair lift I would check out the requirenments very carefuly. Travel trailers are notoriously flimsy in construction and the door, door frame and floor most likely would not support any kind of lift system without some major structural modifications. I would consult with a company that does modifications to vans or ambulances before mounting something that could possible rip out the door frame or floor.
Flybouy has a good suggestion. Even better find a company that sells and installs them. Take the camper to them and let them check it out first hand.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
RK1978

Thanks for your responses. I have been in the process of researching this topic and would prefer doing it through a company that had experience in this type of installation, but so far I have found very little information. Continuing the search.
Thanks again,
PR
Old 11-17-2021, 06:37 PM   #6
RK1978

I thought I would post an update to this subject in case anyone else got to where they might need this type of device. I bought a lift from Burr Engineering and installed it with some help from family. It is a very rugged device and does a good job of lifting and lowering my wife. The mounting attachments use 2 plates that go on the inside of the wall near the door frame with 1/2" (i think, can't remember)bolts going through the wall and those plates. It seemed a little difficult to mount initially because it was heavy and the center of gravity was way off center. By the time I was done I had figured out a much easier way to mount it than the instructions said, so if I ever have to do it again it won't be so bad. A few drawbacks are getting her from wheelchair to lift and then from lift to seat inside trailer can be challenging because I have to load her, get her part way up, then climb over and into trailer doorway to finish the process. I think there is a better way, but have not tested it yet. The other thing to watch for is that the deck folds up against the lift post but still sticks out on the door side of the trailer by a significant amount, so I pay attention to the mirror on that side whenever clearance might be tight.
The big plus is that it allows us to continue traveling, which would be impossible without it.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
CedarCreekWoody

A photo of your install would be informative to many people.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote