Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #1
wiredgeorge

propane heater

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e6bc60b85&th=1

Thoughts on using a propane heater in the camper. I suspect I would crack a window and find something not affected by heat to set it on. Apparently has a fan inside the unit that runs on batteries and uses up the batteries fairly quickly. Would like to use with no power available to heat in an emergency.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I'm sure others have their thoughts but I don't like an open flame running in the RV at any time, particularly overnight while I try to sleep. So that's my thought on that.

Another is your comment about putting it on something not affected by heat....make sure and do that if you get one! I put a larger dehumidifier directly on the floor at the end of a kitchen island on a trailer never thinking about it (the heat, which wasn't that bad). After one winter the floor was soft around the area where it sat. Never leaked or ran over, just the heat from the unit. Put a piece of fire/heat resistant material under it and it stopped the problem.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I've got a couple of catalytic heaters. One I use with 1 pound bottles hunting. It's more to warm up fingers and toes than to stay warm. I think it's about 1200 BTU max. It will run about 5 or 6 hours on a pound of propane.

The other is a Mr Heater Buddy portable heater. It's 4000-9000 BTU, runs on either 1 pound bottles or on a bulk propane tank adapter (sort of like a propane grill). It has an internal regulator, so won't work on a RV low pressure quick disconnect.

The smaller one does not have an oxygen sensor and for that reason I would not consider it for "indoor use in an RV". The "Buddy heater" does have an oxygen sensor, but not a carbon monoxide sensor, so I prefer not to use it in the RV when we're not "right there watching it"... I WOULD NEVER GO TO SLEEP WITH EITHER IN OPERATION INSIDE AN RV.....

That said, there is the "Olympian heater series" that's been around for ages, was OEM in Airstream trailers and in Alaskan truck campers before the "forced air furnaces" became standard equipment in RV's. I believe CAMCO bought out Olympian, so no idea whether they might have changed the products or worse, changed the quality.

There are three sized Olympian, a 3000, 6000 and 8000 BTU size. All have essentially the same construction, safety equipment and operation. They are basically the same, just get larger as the BTU output increases.

We had an Olympian 3000 in our Airstream and it would heat the entire trailer in 30F temperatures. With a window cracked and a roof vent cracked, there was very little condensation, but even with that, we were reluctant to trust it enough to go to sleep with it heating the trailer. I'd guess we had 400 or so hours of use and the CO monitor in the trailer never alarmed, so in my experience, the Olympian never produced a significant amount of carbon monoxide.

I can't say the same for the Buddy heater. I set it up in our Springdale with a couple of 1 pound bottles and within an hour, the CO monitor in the trailer was chirping, but the heater's oxygen sensor thought nothing wrong and the heater kept burning oxygen while the trailer system was saying there's too much carbon monoxide in the air....

IMO, I wouldn't trust a propane heater to safely monitor the oxygen content in the room and trust it to shut off when CO levels are too high and from my experience, even when CO levels get too high, the heater doesn't monitor that, just oxygen, so there's no "fail-safe system" to protect against both depletion of oxygen and rising carbon monoxide....

I wouldn't close my eyes with any flame or catalytic device burning in the trailer.

That said, the Mr Heater Buddy heater is a "hot little devil" and it'll heat the area around my workbench in the pole barn enough that I can sit there in a sweater and work comfortably even in 0F outside temps. Step away from the workbench and you can definitely tell where the heater is helping.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Lee

I have been using a Mr Buddy heater IN my TT for years...... Even at night.

I plumbed it into the propane line supplied to the furnace with a quick disconnect hose. I added a second CO detector into the TT. Never had a single chirp. I open a roof vent bout an inch and a window also an inch.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #5
roadglide

I have wave catalytic olympian 6. I removed the front panel on the back side of the sink cabinet the wave 6 fit perfect then I plumed it into the stove line with a valve . The heater is five years old and has worked flawlessly in the mild winters of AZ. My impact has enough air leaks I don’t mess with opening a window .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, propane