Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2019, 01:20 PM   #1
brlr2000

Wallpaper replacement

I have a 2017 Montan High Country 310RE. The wallpaper is severely wrinkled in several places, and I would like to replace it. I can't figure out where to find this stuff. Keystone website refers me to a dealer...which is of little help.
brlr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:56 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I haven't seen a travel trailer with "wallpaper" in years. Today's models use a 1/8" thick luan plywood sheet with a vinyl facing (sort of like contact paper, but 48" wide). I haven't seen any dealer or distributor that sells "just the vinyl sheeting". Sheets of the vinyl covered luan are available, usually special order, from most Keystone dealerships.

Trekwood has it for sale: https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords= Look about half way down the webpage. In my way of thinking, $125-150 for a 4x8 sheet is OUTRAGEOUS and when you add in freight shipping (too large for UPS or FedEx) that OUTRAGEOUS becomes "Freaking UNBELIVEABLE"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
brlr2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I haven't seen a travel trailer with "wallpaper" in years. Today's models use a 1/8" thick luan plywood sheet with a vinyl facing (sort of like contact paper, but 48" wide). I haven't seen any dealer or distributor that sells "just the vinyl sheeting". Sheets of the vinyl covered luan are available, usually special order, from most Keystone dealerships.

Trekwood has it for sale: https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords= Look about half way down the webpage. In my way of thinking, $125-150 for a 4x8 sheet is OUTRAGEOUS and when you add in freight shipping (too large for UPS or FedEx) that OUTRAGEOUS becomes "Freaking UNBELIVEABLE"...
The surface is wrinkling, so I assumed that it was "wallpaper". Either way, it needs to be replaced. Any ideas would be welcomed.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Mikendebbie

Wall paper

Is it the paper alone? Or is it the luan veneer beneath buckling?
I would take a razor blade and pick the most inconspicuous spot and slice it to see if it is the paper or the luan. Either way you need to figure out where the water leak is that caused the buckling and get it stopped.

Replacing wall board, wall covering or even covering up the damage with new wall board or wall covering sounds like a big job. Find the leak first!!

Many years ago we had a Coleman pop up. The roof sprung a leak and the ceiling luan buckled. I chose to try to cover it up by glueing/attaching white faced masonite board over the whole ceiling. This was a very small area with evenly defined edges and it was a challenge for my skill level at the time.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
brlr2000

If it were water damage to the Luan, I would expect it to look like typical plywood damage with veneer separating, warping and buckling...but this is the surface only that is wrinkled...like contact paper not installed well. The previous owner claimed that it was always wrinkled, but he never pursued the problem. The RV is in storage now, but when I get to it, I will post some photos.
Old 08-27-2019, 02:48 AM   #6
5J's

I have several spots in mine that look like what you describe. Mostly in the corners and such. They be been there since day 1. I chalk it up to poor finish craftsmanship and I'll take that over the problems many others have.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:09 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve seen it brand new units, not just Keystone. I have had some success using a heat gun and a WET towel. I will say it’s a bit of an art that takes time to develop but I’ve gotten some good results. The heat gun seems to reactivate the glue and the wet towel works better than a dry one. Not dripping wet, but not just damp.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:48 AM   #8
brlr2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5J's View Post
I have several spots in mine that look like what you describe. Mostly in the corners and such. They be been there since day 1. I chalk it up to poor finish craftsmanship and I'll take that over the problems many others have.
Sorry to hear that you have a similar problem...but glad that I'm not alone.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:50 AM   #9
brlr2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I’ve seen it brand new units, not just Keystone. I have had some success using a heat gun and a WET towel. I will say it’s a bit of an art that takes time to develop but I’ve gotten some good results. The heat gun seems to reactivate the glue and the wet towel works better than a dry one. Not dripping wet, but not just damp.
I may try your technique, but mine is 2 years old now, and has been in the desert heat most of the time, but it may be worth a try. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve used it on 10 year old rigs.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
travelin texans

There are also other alternatives!
You could deflate the air bubbles then add a trim piece with paint below, wainscot below the trim or change to a different wallpaper You're only limited by your imagination, and wallet. Don't worry about the resale value with whatever you do, once used it's worthless to everyone but you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
K_N_L

Worked great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post

I had a section of loose vinyl in my bathroom, about 8in just inside the door jam by the toilet, looks as it shrunk as you could see staple holes near the edge. No water leaks but figured lots of hot showers or maybe just something caused the wall paper to curl??
Anyway - a damp cloth along with the heat gun, moderate heat, circular motion to work out the wrinkles seems to get it to stick again! Great tip! Thanks Chuck.

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #13
moodman

Take a razor and slice the bubbles, then glue it back down
Old 09-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #14
Huckster237

My 2019 Keystone Cougar 4 months oldBought NEW From Camping World in Robertsdale Alabama has the same issueFROM FRONT TO BACK and I was told today 9/02/19 to come get it and call Keystone ,They could not repair it .HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL ? HAVING a new unit with the wall paper or panel covering l to be
coming loose in all top panels inside after 1 camping trip .
Huckster237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:53 PM   #15
Roscommon48

huckster push keystone for a replacement trailer then. they have done it before on new trailers that 'can't be repaired'.

or demand that they take it in to their goshen, indiana service center.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #16
brlr2000

I was able to peel up the original paper...then I used some wallpaper seam sealer (watered down elmers glue) to reattach the paper to the luan. Thanks for everyone for your help.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:19 PM   #17
curly2001

Wrinkled wallpaper/wallboard

I had the same issue on a Heartland fiver. Took it to several techs and they said it is the heat. I live in Tucson and have it on both sides of the trailer. Maybe you can use some steam with damp towels to take care of it.
I may try it.
Curly
curly2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #18
brlr2000

I made some small slits (cuts) in the wrinkled sections of the paper, and applied wallpaper glue to the back...then smoothed out. It worked out pretty well. We live in AZ as well, so it makes sense that it was heat-related damage.