Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Camp CA

Solar Panel / Inverter Operation

Our new 2020 Montana 3780RL came with a factory installed 265 watt solar panel, 2000 watt inverter and Magnum inverter switch in the battery compartment and had the dealer install a second battery. I understand it operates living room/kitchen outlet, tv, refrig and a bedroom outlet. Unfortunately I failed to have the dealer (220 miles away) demonstrate the inverter system before I traveled to Palm Desert then to storage near my home. Can anyone that has this system provide guidance on:

1. A manual (have not found one on the internet).
2. Where the inverter is located?
3. How to verify the system is operating (a lighted switch on the interior wall electronics panel would have helped)?
4. Does the tv work with antenna?
5. How long you have boondocked with this system?

https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...ne_Montana.pdf
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

A few thoughts about your situation:

First, shame on your dealer's "prep/PDI guy" for not taking the time to explain the new solar system to you.

Second, is there a dealer nearby or will you be back at the old dealer's location anytime soon? If so, maybe they can help you identify the location and operation of the system.

Third, it's a "new installation option" on the latest Montana trailers, not found on anything older than "current models" and there are not a lot of people with any experience with or knowledge of the "new gadgets" found on the latest trailers.

Fourth, every model has equipment located "where it fits" and it's almost always "not in the same spot" on different floorplans and sometimes, even on two identical trailers that move down the assembly line. So where the components are located on your trailer likely wouldn't be the same location on a different model and possibly not the same location on another similar floorplan.

Fifth, if you've got "an exploring nature" then unload the front storage compartment, crawl inside it with a #2 Robertson screwdriver, start taking off panel walls and spend some time searching, observing and "tinkering" inside the "bowels of the beast". There's really no better way to find out where everything is and how it works than to "get some sawdust on your knees and put fingers on every knob"....

Sorry, I don't know anything about where Keystone installed your system components and can't give you the "precise answers" and I'd make a wager that if you call your dealership, they can't answer your questions either.

I'd say it's time to put on some old jeans, your "trusty explorer Jim hat" and get dirty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Can't help you either, John has given good advice. The television should work on the outside antenna. You have to set it to over the air or antenna input and scan for channels. As for duration dry camping that will depend on several factors. What is the amp hour capacity of the batteries, what is the load you placing on the system?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:46 AM   #4
Logan X

I would guess there is either a remote control panel for your inverter or a switch on or near the inverter to turn it on. If it is a remote switch it is probably labeled magnum and is somewhere near the other control panels inside of the trailer. If you turn on the inverter you should have invterted power supplied to all of the things you mentioned. That should be all you need to do. The inverter is most likely in a storage compartment near the batteries.

With two batteries and 200+ watts of solar you should be fairly comfortable Boondocking. To really know how long you can Boondock, you may want to get a quality, shunt based, battery monitor so you know how much power you have in the batteries and how much the solar is recharging them. I use the Victron BMV and I’m happy with it.

Side note, don’t take lead acid batteries below 50% state of charge, you will damage them.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
................... If it is a remote switch it is probably labeled magnum and is somewhere near the other control panels inside of the trailer. If you turn on the inverter you should have inverted power supplied to all of the things you mentioned................
Logan.......thanks for that advise.......The first thing I did was to turn the Magnum switch to the green "ON" position without shore power and the refrigerator worked (assume it was 110 volt off the inverter) but not the specified outlets or tv.

JRTJH.... thanks for your feedback..... emailed Keystone with my VIN and asked them to provide specific information on how it is wired and how to operate the tv and specified outlets on the inverter. I also scheduled an appointment with the rv dealer 220 miles away next Friday when we pull the new fifth wheel for 1+ weeks of camping in Pismo Beach, CA (where the California winter sun goes for the winter).
Old 03-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #6
Camp CA

At JRTJH's recommendation I went exploring today and found the Magnum CSW2012 pure sine wave inverter (it was attached to the ceiling of the forward compartment). With the battery switch to the on position I turned both the Magnum inverter fuse switch and inverter ON then verified the living room tv, one kitchen outlet, one bedroom outlet and refrigerator work off the inverter. It was nice to see the inverter has a second outlet to plug another 110 volt power device, which I tested. I also downloaded the inverter manual for reference.

Tags
inverter, solar