Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #1
mikell

Wait!!

Closed the thread too early

Where did they find the outdoor temp sensor on the Alpine. Did i miss where it said somewhere.

Thanks
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikell View Post
Closed the thread too early

Where did they find the outdoor temp sensor on the Alpine. Did i miss where it said somewhere.

Thanks
Mikell -

I believe I remember it was inside the cover of the heat pump. I think.

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #3
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I scratch my head on why threads are closed around here. "Asked and answered". I guess we've got a judge and jury on when no other thoughts or conversations could come up on a particular subject matter.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #4
geo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
I scratch my head on why threads are closed around here. "Asked and answered". I guess we've got a judge and jury on when no other thoughts or conversations could come up on a particular subject matter.
SAD -

I would defend the Moderators here on this subject. When a thread is closed, it's usually because the posts have basically finished what the Original Poster (OP) has asked, and then others (like me) take that subject and start running off the rails! Yeh, that is kinda of fun to do!

The thread is still visible and can be read, just not appended with another post. If the subject needs further discussion, start a new post. There are some threads that have been expanded to over 6+ pages. I don't think the Moderators particularly want to be Judge and Jury with any Forum-related subject matter, it is just very obvious that the thread has run its course.

Now, there are posts, such as one today, that come in and are immediately evident that they should not be on the Forum. The Moderators did a very good job of handling this matter.

Thank you to the Moderators.

Ron

(Note: The above post contains 159 words. )
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
SAD
Permanent User Ban

I guess I'm too young to understand the need for such structure and control in something as free flowing and the sharing of ideas.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
SAABDOCTOR

Unless you have walked a mile in thier shoes don't complain. Thank you guys for keeping this site going
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABDOCTOR View Post
Unless you have walked a mile in thier shoes don't complain. Thank you guys for keeping this site going
I have. Thanks for your concern though.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
mikell

So was the sensor under th units cover? Doesn't seem like a very smart place for it
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Festus2
Site Team

mikell -
In turbopilot's thread about the leak and the black tank flushing system, there was no mention made - that I can see - of the temperature sensor, its location or the control board until he brought it up incidentally in his last post. Up to that point, these other two items were not discussed in the thread as far as I can determine. It would appear then, that you did not miss anything about its location in that thread.
I did do a forum search and found 4 threads/posts about a temperature sensor if you are interested in going back and reading the posts that were submitted. I typed in "temperature sensor" for my search.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 AM   #10
outbackmac

SAD, dont feel bad i belonged to another forum and when you posr pictures in ur gallery they become property of the owner of the site, that is you cant delete them from ur own gallery.
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
RCrawler

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

The threads don't need to be closed simply for being off topic or if the moderator feels that it should be, only if there are personal attacks, etc. And even then, a little reminder from the moderator to knock it off does wonders.

Let the conversation roll a bit. You get to be Super Mod by learning the fine line between having control of the forum and being a dictator of it.

I've been a moderator on a couple of different forums, so I have walked in their shoes. Festus does a good job, but he could ease up a little. A good forum doesn't need intervention at every turn.

Just sayin'

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #12
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
mikell -
In turbopilot's thread about the leak and the black tank flushing system, there was no mention made - that I can see - of the temperature sensor, its location or the control board until he brought it up incidentally in his last post. Up to that point, these other two items were not discussed in the thread as far as I can determine. It would appear then, that you did not miss anything about its location in that thread.
I did do a forum search and found 4 threads/posts about a temperature sensor if you are interested in going back and reading the posts that were submitted. I typed in "temperature sensor" for my search.
If you look again I did mention about an issue with the digital thermostat and heat pump. This turned out to be an issue with the temp sensors. I will post the answer when the dealer has the parts and repairs are made.
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #13
Festus2
Site Team

Moderation and Thread Closure

I am not going to respond here on the public forum to the negative, argumentative comments and personal attacks made in two posts in this thread but will instead answer them in a more appropriate and respectful way by Private Messages (to those individuals who still accept PM's).

Having said that, I would like to take this opportunity to let you know my position on closing threads. First, the moderators are not given any specific guidelines but instead are generally authorized, in accordance with forum policy, to "move, remove, edit or close any post or topic at any time as they see fit". Closing a thread then becomes a matter of moderator judgment and discretion. A thread is not closed at the whim of the moderator just because "he feels like it". I do not close threads simply to curtail or control the exchange of ideas but try to exercise considerate, thoughtful judgment when making my decision.

It is important to note that, just because a thread is closed, anyone who wishes to carry on the discussion is certainly able to do so by beginning a new thread. You still have an opportunity to express your ideas, comments or questions.

Some of the things I ask myself when I am considering closing a thread are:
1) Is the thread starting to wander off topic or has it already strayed way off topic?
2) Are new and unrelated questions being asked?
3) Are the posts starting to become repetitive?
4) Has the original poster's question been fully discussed and sufficiently answered? Has the problem been solved and did the OP give thanks to everyone for their help indicating a resolution to the issue?
5) Has there been ample opportunity for input and comments?

These are guidelines that I have set up for myself and I try to consider all of them - not just one - when making my decision whether or not to close the thread. This is no formula or a fixed set of criteria that is available for use in this decision-making process. It is a matter of using one's judgment and discretion and open to making mistakes.

I do not believe that a thread should never be closed and allowed to meander from topic to topic which could result in a hodge podge of subjects and areas. Often, members want to use our Search feature and having multiple topics embedded in a single thread makes it difficult for members to find what they are looking for. At times, closing a thread does help with the organization of the forum, its threads and its posts.

A comment was made by one member about a forum whose owner retained the rights to all Album photos appearing on that forum. Please note that this forum has no such provision - your photos are your property and you can do what you like with them. If you want them removed, remove them. We are not Facebook and have no interest in or claim to your pictures.

For your information, since the forum was formed in March 2009 - just over 3 years ago - there have been 5102 threads. Over a 3 year period, I have closed approximately 24 threads or 0.47% of the total number of threads. For 2 of our members, this is an unacceptable amount of thread closures.

In conclusion, if you have any suggestions or comments for me as to how my process might be improved, you can always send me a Private Message. I would be glad to hear from you.

Thank you.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
RCrawler

Quote:
I am not going to respond here on the public forum to the negative, argumentative comments and personal attacks made in two posts in this thread but will instead answer them in a more appropriate and respectful way by Private Messages (to those individuals who still accept PM's).
There has been no attack or argument. Some of us are simply stating our opinions.

Quote:
Closing a thread then becomes a matter of moderator judgment and discretion. A thread is not closed at the whim of the moderator just because "he feels like it". I do not close threads simply to curtail or control the exchange of ideas but try to exercise considerate, thoughtful judgment when making my decision.
I understand that. But instead of just closing the thread, thus the line of communication, why not step in and remind us to steer back towards the original subject. In most cases, either the thread will die on its own, or we (as a forum whole) will do as we are told. It works in every other forum I've ever been on. I'm not sure what the percentages are, but I've never seen a thread closed elsewhere simply for being off topic. Only when personal attacks or blatant violations of forum rules occur (ie: name calling, dispute reconciliation on an open forum)

Quote:
It is important to note that, just because a thread is closed, anyone who wishes to carry on the discussion is certainly able to do so by beginning a new thread. You still have an opportunity to express your ideas, comments or questions.
Why would someone, just to get another thread closed?

Quote:
Some of the things I ask myself when I am considering closing a thread are:
Let's use the OP thread as an example

Quote:
1) Is the thread starting to wander off topic or has it already strayed way off topic?
It wasn't off topic, because the thermostat had been mentioned in the OP's original post.

Quote:
2) Are new and unrelated questions being asked?
No. A question was asked about the defective T-stat and the OP responded.

Quote:
3) Are the posts starting to become repetitive?
No

Quote:
4) Has the original poster's question been fully discussed and sufficiently answered? Has the problem been solved and did the OP give thanks to everyone for their help indicating a resolution to the issue?
Yes and no. They fixed the water leak issue. But the story is incomplete for the thermostat. Parts were ordered, but did that fix the problem? Really don't need to start a new thread when TP could just post his results in that thread.

Quote:
5) Has there been ample opportunity for input and comments?
Again, if it is completely off topic, I get it. But, how many are going to read through that thread looking for a faulty thermostat fix and not find what they were looking for.

Quote:
I do not believe that a thread should never be closed and allowed to meander from topic to topic which could result in a hodge podge of subjects and areas. Often, members want to use our Search feature and having multiple topics embedded in a single thread makes it difficult for members to find what they are looking for. At times, closing a thread does help with the organization of the forum, its threads and its posts.
If a person knows how to search properly, they can usually find the information they're looking for. If not, the beauty of a forum is having live members able to point them in the right direction, to help weed the good information from the bad. If there is constantly repeated questions, which there is bound to be, a "Read It First" sticky with answers or links to good threads on those commonly asked topics always helps.

Quote:
For your information, since the forum was formed in March 2009 - just over 3 years ago - there have been 5102 threads. Over a 3 year period, I have closed approximately 24 threads or 0.47% of the total number of threads. For 2 of our members, this is an unacceptable amount of thread closures.
I would bet that on all of the forums I've ever been involved with in the past 10 years (some that have as much traffic per day as this one in its existence), I don't think I've seen 24 threads closed in that whole time on all of them combined.
And never for simply being "off topic". Usually you know what's coming when the personal attacks start flying. I've even seen death threats a few times. That's when you have to be pro active in shutting it down.

I don't think there is a need for micro-managing here. We are all adults.

I'm sure this thread is going to get closed, but I had to say what was on my mind.

Jason

'12 (EDITED) 324RLB- 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath
RCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
turbopilot51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCrawler View Post
There has been no attack or argument. Some of us are simply stating our opinions.

I understand that. But instead of just closing the thread, thus the line of communication, why not step in and remind us to steer back towards the original subject. In most cases, either the thread will die on its own, or we (as a forum whole) will do as we are told. It works in every other forum I've ever been on. I'm not sure what the percentages are, but I've never seen a thread closed elsewhere simply for being off topic. Only when personal attacks or blatant violations of forum rules occur (ie: name calling, dispute reconciliation on an open forum)

Why would someone, just to get another thread closed?

Let's use the OP thread as an example

It wasn't off topic, because the thermostat had been mentioned in the OP's original post.

No. A question was asked about the defective T-stat and the OP responded.

No

Yes and no. They fixed the water leak issue. But the story is incomplete for the thermostat. Parts were ordered, but did that fix the problem? Really don't need to start a new thread when TP could just post his results in that thread.

Again, if it is completely off topic, I get it. But, how many are going to read through that thread looking for a faulty thermostat fix and not find what they were looking for.

If a person knows how to search properly, they can usually find the information they're looking for. If not, the beauty of a forum is having live members able to point them in the right direction, to help weed the good information from the bad. If there is constantly repeated questions, which there is bound to be, a "Read It First" sticky with answers or links to good threads on those commonly asked topics always helps.

I would bet that on all of the forums I've ever been involved with in the past 10 years (some that have as much traffic per day as this one in its existence), I don't think I've seen 24 threads closed in that whole time on all of them combined.
And never for simply being "off topic". Usually you know what's coming when the personal attacks start flying. I've even seen death threats a few times. That's when you have to be pro active in shutting it down.

I don't think there is a need for micro-managing here. We are all adults.

I'm sure this thread is going to get closed, but I had to say what was on my mind.

Jason
Thanks, I could not have said it better!
Always looking for more power, the next add-on goodie, the perfect camping spot, spending more time camping with dw.
turbopilot51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

As another moderator for this forum I feel I have to jump in here. Take another look here guys .... the last few posts are getting very repetitive and argumentative. As mentioned before (several times) this does nothing to answer the OP's question.
Instead of using PM I am making a request on open forum to PLEASE change the path that this thread is heading and get back on topic. Thank you in advance, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Flyguy

If any of our members feel that the job of moderator isn’t being handled well there’s several things that you can do! You can PM Courtland the administrator and tell him that you would like to be a moderator if there are any openings but be advised that there’s a long waiting list for this as the pay is so good and you get to take all the crap you can handle as an added perk! You can send our moderators a PM rather than use the forum floor and give your advice as to what they are doing wrong! You can stop posting on this forum and never come back again in protest and I’m sure we will all be sad at your leaving but I’m also sure that we will all eventually get over it! So you see it’s not like you don’t have options on this forum.
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
antiqfreq

I, too, moderate on this forum and after reading ALL the posts it does appear that the topic has wavered somewhat.

We want a civil, informative forum.

This forum was never intended to be anything more than helpful to those that ask for help and/or advise about their rv'ing predicament.

Please, lets do try to get back on topic. Forums take a lot of time to moderate, and the pay being what it is, isn't really paying for my diesel........

Take care everyone & be kind to your fellow RV'ers !

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote