Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2018, 06:08 AM   #1
Eagles

Worn Bearings on One Side

I have a 2017 Bullet 308BHS. This weekend, I repacked the wheel bearings. I found that the bearings in both hubs on the driver's side looked nearly new. On the passenger's side, the grease in both hubs was black and all the bearings were discolored black/brown on the inside of the bearing where it contacts the spindle. Of course, it's two days past the warranty period.

I'm concerned that both were good on one side and both were wearing on the other. I'm wondering whether the trailer could be out of alignment or have some bigger issue. Anyone have suggestions?
Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the axles on most Keystone trailers are warrantied for 2 years and some are warrantied for 3 years. So, if you're considering the Keystone 1 year warranty as the "key to expiration" you might want to check the owner's packet and see what documentation you might have on the axle warranty.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe the axles on most Keystone trailers are warrantied for 2 years and some are warrantied for 3 years. So, if you're considering the Keystone 1 year warranty as the "key to expiration" you might want to check the owner's packet and see what documentation you might have on the axle warranty.
Thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of that. I don't see anything specific to the axle in the owner's packet, but I have reached out to Dexter.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:48 AM   #4
Canonman

Another possibility is a weight difference between the two sides. Also, abnormal tire wear would likely show an alignment issue. How do the tires on either side compare?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3622 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	16248  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Lee

I wonder if who ever installed the hub assembly on that side, over torqued the Bearing retainer nut on the spindle? This can cause premature bearing wear.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:26 AM   #6
66joej

Bearing adjustment/preload also has an effect on wear. Could have been set by workers on opposite sides during assembly.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
ChuckS

Since it appears you can do your own work I’d order a full set of bearings , races , seals for both sides and replace all at once

Then you will know what you got, know the bearings are set correctly, and properly greased. I like the red HP HY disc brake bearings grease best

You could maybe get dexter or Lippert to replace the parts but it would be a hassle

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:52 AM   #8
Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Another possibility is a weight difference between the two sides. Also, abnormal tire wear would likely show an alignment issue. How do the tires on either side compare?
Thanks for all the responses. The tires all appear to be wearing evenly, although I haven't put a lot of miles on it, so there isn't a lot of wear.
Old 04-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #9
Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Since it appears you can do your own work I’d order a full set of bearings , races , seals for both sides and replace all at once

Then you will know what you got, know the bearings are set correctly, and properly greased. I like the red HP HY disc brake bearings grease best

You could maybe get dexter or Lippert to replace the parts but it would be a hassle
Thanks. I did replace the everything on the passenger side, but not on the driver's side. I wouldn't worry about getting dexter to pay for the parts, I'm just worried there's a bigger problem with the trailer.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

Time to take the trailer to a scale and weight right and left sides. See if that could be a problem causer. Other than that they are bent which should show up in tire wear, or as mentioned they were installed wrong or poorly made and failed early. Anyway clear to hear you found it now and not after they left you on the highway shoulder.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:23 AM   #11
Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Time to take the trailer to a scale and weight right and left sides. See if that could be a problem causer. Other than that they are bent which should show up in tire wear, or as mentioned they were installed wrong or poorly made and failed early. Anyway clear to hear you found it now and not after they left you on the highway shoulder.
I can definitely find someplace to weigh it. I'm not sure what I'd do if one side was heavier than the other. I could add weight to the lighter side, but I don't think I could remove anything from the heavier side. We haven't added anything to the trailer, other than trip supplies, which would be a couple hundred pounds tops. The side that is wearing early is the side with the appliances, but the other side has two slide outs.

I considered that the axles might be bent, but it seems odd to me that both would be bent and both would only be wearing on one side. I would expect if an axle was bent, both sides of that axle would show wear, but I'm just guessing. How would I tell if the axles are bent?

Thanks again for all the responses.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
Eagles

Just got this response from my email to Dexter:

"Unfortunately, your dark grease and bearings do not have anything to do with the alignment of your axle. The discoloration on the inside of the bearings is normal. You can clean it off or replace them if you want. As long as there are no pitting in the bearings or races and the cages they are good. That side may have gotten a little warmer than the other side to cause the grease to discolor on the races. Not sure if you do a temperature gun when you travel to tell if it is getting warmer on that side."

I appreciate that they responded, but I don't think the discoloration on the bearings is "normal". It's not something that can be cleaned off.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:13 AM   #13
mfifield01

I went to repack my bearings a couple of months ago and had some slight discoloration. From what I read it was just the grease discoloring. Instead of just repacking, I replaced the bearings and races with Timken (USA). I had about 10000 miles on the trailer (first bearing service).

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...t=31154&page=3
Old 04-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
Canonman

We had a wheel get hot due to a brake issue. Our TPMS alerted us to the problem and we were able to fix the issue within about 40 miles of slower travel from the first alert.
When I repacked the bearings this spring, that particular wheel showed some discoloration of the grease but no pitting or issues with the bearing. So, I agree, excessive heat can cause discoloration. Maybe the brake adjust on the passenger side was tighter (too tight) than the driver side?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1765.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	16249  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote