Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #1
esmoglo

Battery?

Well I just got my 2016 Passport 2810BH and I have a battery question. Now I plan on using the RV for the next few days then it will sit for a few weeks before I use it again. How do I address the battery? Do I disconnect the wires from the battery? Is there some kind of disconnect for the battery? Need advice thanks in advance.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:03 PM   #2
bsmith0404

We've had several discussions about this on the forum, use the search function and you will have a lot of reading to do. What you will find is that many people have different opinions, trailers have different set ups, weather is different, and storage conditions are different and that will all affect what people choose to do.

The most important thing you need to worry about is parasitic draw from things such as the clock in the stereo, and smoke detectors, and basic battery maintenance such as keeping the water/acid level full. How you choose to address these items is up to you. I used to pull the batteries and keep them on a battery tender during the winter. Now I have my RV stored inside, I flip the battery disconnect switch and plug in a battery tender.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

/\ /\
excellent answer. For the record, my fiver is in my back yard, plugged in. I check battery water every other month.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:50 AM   #4
Javi

Since we camp every few weeks on a year round basis and the trailer is under a shed with electric, I just leave it plugged in. We keep the fridge stocked with everything except perishables and ready to go if we get the urge... I'm generally over at the trailer fiddling with something or other every few days, sometimes for no other reason than to get a little peace after 42 years of marriage..
Old 10-18-2015, 10:42 PM   #5
Yosemitebob

using solar

I use two 100 w solar panels to a charge controller. I turn nothing off when stored anymore, but I do check the batteries every couple of weeks.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote