Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #1
skidooxman

Fridge sensor?

Ok, so my 2016 Fuzion 345 chrome fridge has been acting up since day 1. Keystone has been fantastic working with me and my schedule. The point I'm at now is the fridge is cooling to around 50, while the freezer is well below freezing. My question is: Is there a sensor or something that controls the fridge separate? This is on AC/LP moving and or parked. Always while in transit it gets warm but now it's doing it parked sometimes. Anybody?

Sent by my German Shepherd
Old 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

I do not recall ever seeing adjustment in the freezer and refer on any RVs. Just one, old days a dial now seems to be a a sliding up/down adjustment without numbers just warmer/colder marked on it inside the refer on the cooling fins.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
therink

On my fridge, the thermistor is located in the fridge compartment on the right side and is clipped to the far right cooling fin. It is aadjustable meaning it can move up and down on the fin. I have found with my fridge it doesn't matter where the thermistor is located, the fridge seems to maintain the same temp. I have had no cooling problem though.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
dcg9381

skidooxman, have you owned an RV before? I assume this is a typical RV fridge (gas/electric):

If so, they're different from residential fridges and typically the freezer will cool to freezing first and the fridge will cool off gradually... IE - maybe taking 24 hours or more to reach a static temp.

As the coolant system works for both freezer fridge - no patch switching or fan control - no system of setting fridge and freezer temp separately.

If it IS defective, the typical problem is a block in ventilation system. This could be insulation that's in the way, something like that, but an RV tech should recognize it. If it's only cooling to 50 after 24-48 hours, something is probably up.

RV fridges are kinda not great at being opened and closed - meaning using them like a residential, especially with a big trailer with lots of people getting into the fridge can mean not-so-great performance. If you're running under this scenario what we do is put a "dorm" fridge in the garage area and the kids go to that one.

There are things that can improve performance, like adding a fan on the inside of the fridge section to blow over the cooling fins and circulate air.
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Pull Toy

PLUS1 for dcg9381... Also "level is critical"!

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #6
SteveC7010

As has been repeatedly pointed out in many threads here going back at least several years, these RV fridges have to be stocked so that the air can circulate throughout the compartment. If you load up a shelf with no open space, you block the circulation. Warmer air has to rise to reach the cooling fins. Once cooled, it needs paths to fall to the bottom of the fridge and start the cycle over. One poster recently mentioned that his fridge worked a whole bunch better when he took the beverages out of the cardboard cases. Just the open space between the cans was enough to allow adequate circulation for the fridge to cool properly.

Because these fridges operate differently from our home ones, we need to learn to use them efficiently. Standing there with the door open trying to decide what to drink totally defeats the cooling capability of RV fridges.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote