Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone RV Customer Comments > Keystone RV Service/Support Kudos
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
mom2budnbug

Double Kudos: Keystone and Triple A RV

We had an issue with our black tank after a week of camping in California. Thankfully this happened on the morning we were heading home to Washington. We had planned to drive into southern Wa. and stay the night, but without a working toilet, decided we would drive straight through.
As soon as we were on the road, I called Keystone and asked for the closest authorized dealers near our home. I called the closest, 12 miles from home, and was told they could not make an appointment since we didn't purchase our trailer there. We asked if we could just drop it off in the morning and leave it for however long it took to fix. Told, "No. We just aren't making service appointments for anyone who didn't buy from us."
Called Keystone back and asked for dealers that might be off I-5 as we head north. The young man at Keystone asked where we were on I-5 and found the closest dealers were in Medford and Grants Pass, OR. He gave us their numbers and was helpful in answering other questions my DH had.
Triple A RV in Medford was awesome! They told us to stop by and they would see what they could do. They had us in and out of there within an hour! As for the issue...too many people using the toilet in a short period of time. The tp couldn't dissolve fast enough and clogged. Live and learn!

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:36 AM   #2
antiqfreq

I am so glad you got your RV fixed.

I guess even using the quick dissolving TP didn't work in this case !

Thanks for giving us a heads up on who did help you.

BOO on those people who wouldn't. Guess they won't be seeing your business for a new camper in the future.

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #3
outwest

Glad to hear you found someone that was willing to help and to do it quickly. I could be wrong, but I'd swear I read recently that Keystone now says that the consumer is supposed to be able to take it to any dealer for warranty work. 'Course, it's not worth the fight, because you don't want to deal with a dealer that's being a jerk.

Regarding the black tank - you probably know all this, but... the type of toilet paper can make a huge difference in regards to breaking down and clogs. If you haven't already, take a jar, put a cup or so of water in it, put a couple of squares of your paper in it, cover with lid, and shake once. Let it rest and in a few hours it should start breaking apart. If it doesn't break apart within 6-8 hrs, it's not a good brand/version for your RV tank. I've had good results with Scott single ply, but your results may differ. Also use a decent amount of water when flushing.

Again, glad you found someone to get you sorted in a timely fashion.

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Bluewater

Did the people at Keystone you talked to have any response to their dealer that would not work on your RV? That should be a must for Keystone to require ANY dealer just like the auto industry.
Bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
mom2budnbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
Glad to hear you found someone that was willing to help and to do it quickly. I could be wrong, but I'd swear I read recently that Keystone now says that the consumer is supposed to be able to take it to any dealer for warranty work. 'Course, it's not worth the fight, because you don't want to deal with a dealer that's being a jerk.

Regarding the black tank - you probably know all this, but... the type of toilet paper can make a huge difference in regards to breaking down and clogs. If you haven't already, take a jar, put a cup or so of water in it, put a couple of squares of your paper in it, cover with lid, and shake once. Let it rest and in a few hours it should start breaking apart. If it doesn't break apart within 6-8 hrs, it's not a good brand/version for your RV tank. I've had good results with Scott single ply, but your results may differ. Also use a decent amount of water when flushing.

Again, glad you found someone to get you sorted in a timely fashion.
We have done the tp test Only use what can be purchased at Camping World or local hardware store that sells RV supplies. We have friends and family that have been told they can use regular 1 ply. We don't trust that and refuse to try. My cousins have a separate waste basket in their bathroom that is specifically for tp used by us women. Think that may be an idea to try when we may have 8 people using the bathroom.

Triple A RV told us...Water is your friend! We had 8 people using our bathroom for 8 hours, two days in a row. Even with dumping, just not enough time to dissolve enough. Have to remember to use more water

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 08-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #6
mom2budnbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
Did the people at Keystone you talked to have any response to their dealer that would not work on your RV? That should be a must for Keystone to require ANY dealer just like the auto industry.
The rep at Keystone said that since dealers are indipendant owners, they can make the choice of who/what they will service. This is not the first time they had heard of the issue and Keystone is trying to work with dealers on the issue.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 08-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #7
mom2budnbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater View Post
We are very glad we chose not to purchase from this dealer. We were not impressed with their sales approach nor the cost.Both my DH and I worked in the auto industry and know sales tactics. We ended up driving 2 1/2 hours away to purchase exactly what we wanted for the price we wanted. May have to do that for work as well, but they were wonderful at Uneek RV and would be worth the drive.

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #8
outwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2budnbug View Post
We have done the tp test Only use what can be purchased at Camping World or local hardware store that sells RV supplies. We have friends and family that have been told they can use regular 1 ply. We don't trust that and refuse to try. My cousins have a separate waste basket in their bathroom that is specifically for tp used by us women. Think that may be an idea to try when we may have 8 people using the bathroom.

Triple A RV told us...Water is your friend! We had 8 people using our bathroom for 8 hours, two days in a row. Even with dumping, just not enough time to dissolve enough. Have to remember to use more water
8? Yikers! An RV only sleeps 2! *laf* As for the bathroom, tell those other 6 to use a bucket

2012 Keystone Vantage 32FLS
outwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
mom2budnbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwest View Post
8? Yikers! An RV only sleeps 2! *laf* As for the bathroom, tell those other 6 to use a bucket
I wish we could have. They were all seniors, some with handicaps. The closest public restrooms were 1/4 mile away. Too long of a walk for them. At least we know what to do next year when we meet up again

2014 Bullet 230BHSWE