Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
nlfrank

Key TV reception problems

I have the same issue, the family room TV picks up off the air transmissions fine, but the bedroom TV will detect the channels then loose them (no signal) within 5 minutes. I've already checked all of the coax connections, they are good and tight. Here is what else I have tested:

1. Moved the bedroom coax to the the KeyTv output terminal for the living room TV
2. Made sure all connections are tight (except for the actual antenna connection on the roof - didn't want to remove it, and it's probably fine otherwise the family room TV would work either)
3. Used a long run of coax to bypass the Montana's internal wires
4. Directly connected the RF antenna line to the bedroom coax (no signal amplifier and no KeyTV unit)
5. Connected the bedroom tv to the passthrough wall connector

None of these solved the problem. The only test that worked was connecting the TV directly to an old rabbit ear antenna that I magically still own. The TV worked like expected. I'm wondering if the KeyTV module is bad or the technology doesn't work but very little help given by Keystone RV. Seems they don't really care about it from my telephone call for help. Only work around is to stream video to the TV via HDMI connection or use an external antenna. Workable but a pain to setup when you just want to relax.

Thanks for any assistance.
nlfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:09 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd recommend taking the bedroom TV off the wall, putting it in the family room (where the known good TV reception occurs) so you can confirm that the TV receives the channels correctly. If the TV works there, it's a "cabling/switching issue with the Key TV system". If the TV does not work there, it's a "TV issue".

Once you've confirmed whether the TV works (or doesn't work) when connected to the family room cable, we can then determine if it's the "trailer" or the "TV"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:37 AM   #3
ChuckS

If you run a length of coax from the TV in the LR back to the BR TV and connect it to that TV and it don't get channels then TV is the issue

You stated the coax connectors are tight BUT DID YOU REMOVE them and verify the center conductor is protruding about 1/4 inch out? If it isnt then you will have poor and intermittent TV signals

Also the OTA antenna gets its 12 volts DC power thru the KeyTV module thru the coax up to the OTS roof antenna so you cant just bypass the KeyTV module

Doing so results in NO 12 volts DC being fed to the preamp up in that outside OTA antenna

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:43 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

"very little help given by Keystone RV. " Are you contacting Keystone or the dealer? Contacting Keystone is like calling GM in Detroit because your truck radio doesn’t work. It would help if you go to the top of the page and click on "UserCP" and create a signature with the year znd model (including model number) of y9ur trailer and tow vehicle. This will help 6ou get relevant answers and eliminate folks zsking for the information.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #5
nlfrank

Ok, I did test running a coax cable from the family room TV to the bedroom TV. Unfortunately, it still connects at first then reports there is no signal to the TV (~5 minutes of TV then dead screen). So, it would state the problem is the TV, but with rabbit ears it doesn't have a signal problem. Not sure where to go from here. The data suggests that it's the TV, but then again, it also suggests that the KeyTv isn't working correctly.

As far as calling Keystone directly, I was "hoping" that they could give me some guidance as to how to fix the problem (from their years of experience). My local RV shop is a waste of time (camping world). I dropped my camper off for warranty repairs and not only did they charge me for the repair, it took them 2 months and didn't even fix a single complaint. After pointing out the issues weren't fixed, they refunded my money but still took more time to do what should have been done during the first 2 months. They have lost my trust completely.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlfrank View Post
Ok, I did test running a coax cable from the family room TV to the bedroom TV. Unfortunately, it still connects at first then reports there is no signal to the TV (~5 minutes of TV then dead screen). So, it would state the problem is the TV, but with rabbit ears it doesn't have a signal problem. Not sure where to go from here. The data suggests that it's the TV, but then again, it also suggests that the KeyTv isn't working correctly.

As far as calling Keystone directly, I was "hoping" that they could give me some guidance as to how to fix the problem (from their years of experience). My local RV shop is a waste of time (camping world). I dropped my camper off for warranty repairs and not only did they charge me for the repair, it took them 2 months and didn't even fix a single complaint. After pointing out the issues weren't fixed, they refunded my money but still took more time to do what should have been done during the first 2 months. They have lost my trust completely.

Thank you for the suggestions.
Have you tried reversing the cable run? Run a cable from the bedroom wall plate to the input of the living room tv? I knoe there have been many reports of KeyTV failures after the module gets warm but I think they were total failures abd not just one port. If the LR tv works without issue then I would think the BR tv has an issue after it warms up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Contact the customer service department for the TV manufacturer. They should be able to process a warranty claim and replace the TV. If it's a 26" or a 32" TV, chances are you'll spend more in trying to get a replacement than in just buying one at Best Buy or COSTCO or Sam's for $78 plus tax.... I know, I know, it's the principle not the cost....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
nlfrank

Wish I thought of reversing the connection between the 2 tv's. I'll give it a try but it might be a few days before I can get it done. Thank you for the suggestions. They have been helpful.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:53 PM   #9
ChuckS

If you eliminate the BR TV set as the issue then be sure to also remove the wall plates for the coax and remove those connections and check center pin on coax as well

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote