Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
bubbytubby

12V System Over Charging - InCommand

When first hooking up to shore power after being on the road, my converter rightfully goes into bulk power mode, then sometimes into absorption but not into float mode. The battery voltage stays at 14 to 14.7 volts. I can hear the converter cooling fan working away. There is a way to get it to float mode by removing the 2nd fuse from the top and then reinserting that fuse. (this was a lot of trial and error to get to this point) The battery voltage quickly settles into 13.7 and stays there and the converter goes into float mode. If I do nothing, the converter will continue to charge at the higher voltages indefinitely.

On that circuit: inCommand, some interior lights, propane detector.

Does anybody know what's wrong here? Thanks in advance!
bubbytubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbytubby View Post
When first hooking up to shore power after being on the road, my converter rightfully goes into bulk power mode, then sometimes into absorption but not into float mode. The battery voltage stays at 14 to 14.7 volts. I can hear the converter cooling fan working away. There is a way to get it to float mode by removing the 2nd fuse from the top and then reinserting that fuse. (this was a lot of trial and error to get to this point) The battery voltage quickly settles into 13.7 and stays there and the converter goes into float mode. If I do nothing, the converter will continue to charge at the higher voltages indefinitely.

You might want to place a call to whoever the manufacturer is for the Converter/Charger unit....they may have some insight for you.

And if you have FLA batteries, you want to check the water level a lot more often until you get this resolved. Or maybe even turn the converter off for periods of time to and let the battery drain some of the SOC.....then back on. Anything to keep it from ruining/cooking the batteries.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:48 PM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Welcome to the forum. Donus all a favor end uo up to the "UserCP" and create a signature with the make, model, and year of your trailer and tow vehichle. To your question; how old is your trailer and the battery? More than 1 battery? Age and type battery?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
bubbytubby

Thanks! Good idea!
Old 11-18-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
bubbytubby

To group 27 wet batteries and the trailer with new in March 2020. The cougar fifth wheel model 24RDS came with factory solar.

Thanks again
Old 11-18-2021, 02:43 PM   #6
ChuckS

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...900-Series.pdf

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:54 PM   #7
Essvar

Quote:
To group 27 wet batteries and the trailer with new in March 2020. The cougar fifth wheel model 24RDS came with factory solar.

Thanks again

Is is possible your charge controller is stuck in boost mode? Does this happen when there's no solar?
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:55 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
There is a way to get it to float mode by removing the 2nd fuse from the top and then reinserting that fuse. (this was a lot of trial and error to get to this point) The battery voltage quickly settles into 13.7 and stays there and the converter goes into float mode...
I'm going to take a wild stab outside the box...
Is it possible you have an exterior motion-detector light -- such as a scare light or light in the storage compartment -- whose motion detector is failing to time out, and is also on that fuse? Popping the fuse would turn that light off and cut the additional DC drain.

Otherwise, my next culprit would be inCommand. Try activating it, then holding dow the power button until the whole thing reboots, or turns off (then turn it back on). See if that cuts the extra drain.
Old 11-19-2021, 02:21 AM   #9
ChuckS

You will NEVER see Float mode with that OEM WFCO converter... EVER... Remove the battery cables and measure the converter output at the removed battery terminals...

If the voltage measured isnt around 13.4 to 13.8 then your converter is deflective..

The BCM isnt gonna cause your converter to jump into BULK mode nor will any light on that RV....

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
bbells

Many float chargers apply low amps of roughly 1/2 volt higher than the battery voltage. Your voltage sounds perfectly normal voltage, especially if you have solar.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote