Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
Bunnie54

Fuse/breaker problem.

Hi there, my name is Bunnie and I have just found this site and joined.
I have a Keystone Sportsman 2006 5th Wheeler.
I have an electrical problem I hope someone can help me with.
The day I pulled up here and set up camp on a temporary site, the triple slideouts worked perfectly.
6 months later when we went to shift it to my new site, the slide outs didn't work. We shifted not 30 feet so we went slowly and carefully.
I received a suggestion from a relative who use to own a 5th wheeler that perhaps the fuses are blown.
So I found them, ordered them and received yesterday. ($18.95 each)
I took the old ones out, replaced these new ones, and nothing....nothing happened. Nothing has 'tripped' everything else works perfectly....so what could it be? and what am I going to do with $60 worth of fuses?
I cant take a real good photo of the fuse, but I have attached a photo.
They are COLE T1 12v20A 128 x 3
I would truly appreciate any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC18947.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	36986  
Bunnie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Bunnie, A few questions, do you have a fully charged battery installed? Slides should be operated with full battery and either shore power or running tow vehicle connected. Most use auto resetting fuses (breakers) but I have not seen any that look like your photos. I hope someone else can be of more help, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:44 PM   #3
Bunnie54

hi, thanks for your reply.
I do have 2 large house batteries, which are connected to a trickle charger that runs on 240v 24/7........so as far as I know, they are fully charged.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:59 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. Where did you find these fuses at in the camper? In the fuse panel? I've not seen 20 amp fuses used for slide motors, typically they are 30 amp auto resetting circuit breakers (https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Aut...P%2CB01N9KTRT0) or larger depending on whether they are electric or hydraulic. Hydraulic breakers may lòok different (https://www.amazon.com/Circuit-Break...P%2CB01N9KTRT0) and be manual ressetable. Since you say none of the 3 slides now work I'm guessing they are hydraulic and operate from one pump. Check the front storage compartment for the circuit breakers. Find the large wire (the battery cable) and follow it to the control box.

What to do about $60 worth of fuses? I can't answer that. Check with where you bought them about returning them and realize that campers aren't all the same and verify before you buy in the future. Campers require maintenance. If you are unable to do some often simple, but sometimes indepth maintenance/repairs then find someone to perform these tasks for you. For electrical issues the first thing you will need is a VOM (volt-ohm multimeter) and learn how to use it.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:16 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Never heard of a 2006 Keystone Sportsman. Are you sure it isn't a K-Z product? This might account for the odd fuses you found. What is the specific model number of your camper?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe a part of the "conversion" done to the electrical system in an "imported from the USA fifth wheel" includes removing all the "single use 12 VDC fuses" and replacing them with "resettable 21 VDC circuit breakers".

We have similar devices here, many of us use one or two in troubleshooting or to replace a fuse in a circuit that repeatedly blows the "single use fuse....

I don't have anything to suggest as far as the slide issues go, other than to recommend starting at the slide mechanism, make sure the motor is operating properly, the slide gearbox is functional with no damaged gears and that the slide "rams" are clean, undamaged and working properly. From there, work back through the electrical system. Chances are there's an issue either with a binding gear, bad brushes in the slide motor or a wiring issue....

Here's photos of the "resettable/auto-reset breakers" and "single blow fuses" that they replace.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	15 AMP MINI FUSE BREAKER.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	37030   Click image for larger version

Name:	resettable fuse.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	37031   Click image for larger version

Name:	15 amp fuse.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	37032  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #7
Bunnie54

thankyou.

Hi, I should have sent these photos at the same time.
Thank you for the suggestions already.
I might have to call a mobile electrician.
In the photo of the opened fuse box, I am referring to the 3 gold fuses down the bottom.
On the owners manual it says KZRV Sportsmen.
JRTJH the fuses are the middle one in your photo.
Flyboiy, I did check the fuses before I bought them, I took one with me to the store, but they told me if it did not fix the problem they would not give me a refund as there is no way to check if the new ones are blown.
There is no need to tell me off and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix the problem....this is why I came here to ask advice. I will always try and find a solution before asking an expensive tradie to fix something that I might be able to fix in the first place.
I have a suggestion where you can put your VOM
regards.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SDC18949.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	37054   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC18951.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	37055  
Old 11-12-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnie54 View Post
Hi, I should have sent these photos at the same time.
Thank you for the suggestions already.
I might have to call a mobile electrician.
In the photo of the opened fuse box, I am referring to the 3 gold fuses down the bottom.
On the owners manual it says KZRV Sportsmen.
JRTJH the fuses are the middle one in your photo.
Flyboiy, I did check the fuses before I bought them, I took one with me to the store, but they told me if it did not fix the problem they would not give me a refund as there is no way to check if the new ones are blown.
There is no need to tell me off and get someone who knows what they are doing to fix the problem....this is why I came here to ask advice. I will always try and find a solution before asking an expensive tradie to fix something that I might be able to fix in the first place.
I have a suggestion where you can put your VOM
regards.
Tell you off? Sorry you misinterpreted it that way just tried to help. I won't make that misteak again. Good luck.
Old 11-12-2021, 08:55 PM   #9
wiredgeorge

All I can say is WOW. Using a multimeter is a required skill if you own a not so new camper and don't want to pay a tech. I honestly think everyone has tried to provide credible advice and there was no need to lash out. Good luck figuring out your electrical issue.
Old 11-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #10
Bunnie54

I'm sorry for lashing out. I felt like I was being attacked and made to feel like a useless female. I do apologise.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:39 PM   #11
LHaven

The VOM is a good idea. If somebody told me that two new fuses were going to cost me $60, I sure would take out the old fuses and run continuity on them to make sure they were blown before buying new ones. (I also don't understand why the store can't do exactly the same thing and take yours back -- I suspect they just don't want to issue a refund.)

My suggestion (which also needs a VOM) is for you to unplug from shore power briefly, then use the VOM to measure the voltage across your battery terminals. It may show up as "fully charged" right now only because your RV's converter is supplying a charging voltage to it -- when that charging voltage is removed, you may well find out the batteries are bricks.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #12
LHaven

So everybody understands, we are looking at a US RV retrofitted for AUS 240V and code. Also, this isn't a Keystone, but the electrical systems are pretty much all the same.

In your fusebox, each of the fuses has an LED to the right of it. Because of the larger gold breakers and the shadows they cast, I can't make out whether or not there are LEDs to the right of them as well. Those LEDs light up when the fuse next to them is blown. (You can pull one to see how this works, and its LED should come on.)

If there are LEDs next to the gold fuses, this should tell you right away whether or not they are good.
Old 11-15-2021, 05:35 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I'm sorry for lashing out. I felt like I was being attacked and made to feel like a useless female. I do apologise.
Bunnie for what it's worth I didn’t associate your name with any sexual orientation, it wouldn't matter to me anyway. I did not look up or recall your first post so also didn’t realize where you are located. Your registration info has the default state as Alabama. I'd suggest going up to the "UserCP" and create a signature with the correct make, model and year of your trailer and tow vehichle (if you tow the trailer) and your location. This will help you get more relevant answers to your questions and eliminate confusion and questions to obtain this basic information.
Old 11-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
German Shepherd Guy

OK, I am just musing here and readily admit I am no electrical whiz but.... Just cannot fathom why the fuses would blow. She set up camp and the slide outs worked perfectly. Moved to a new location (close by) 6 months later and the slide outs did not work.

I think I would start with the simple solutions first and work from there.
As we know battery conditions will affect slide out operation. I agree with the idea of disconnecting from shore power, waiting for a little bit so that the voltage will stabilize on the batteries and be true (15 minutes?) and then checking the battery voltage. If it is what I think, that is if the voltage on the batteries has dropped, then a bad battery could be the culprit. Of course without a load test on the battery a VOM could still show proper voltage but there would not be enough amps to make it work. If a thorough test of the batteries (a load test. Bunnie that can be done at the local auto parts store usually) prove that all is well then is time to move on. A simple continuity test (preformed with the vom) will tell Bunnie whether the fuses she has in place are any good before she even tries the batteries. Bunnie there will be youtube videos on just how to do that, it is easy. VOMs are cheap and you will want to own one anyway now that you are an RV person.

I know I am just guessing but I am going with the batteries are cooked and need replaced.
Please let me know if I am right.
Good luck

Oh, and it might be funny to see just where you want Marshall to keep his VOM. Through the years I have had too much baggage stored back there in my own so have no room left for mine.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #15
Bunnie54

thank you, but it would not allow me from the drop down box to list Australia.....there were no options. Thanks a lot for your reply.
Old 11-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #16
Bunnie54

omg, I never laughed so much....thanks.
I believe the batteries were new when I purchased the van 6 months ago.
my brother is coming to visit at the end of the month and has promised to bring his VOm with him and do some checks.
All I wanted to do was look for some solutions to work with before asking for help from my family. I've always looked for solutions & ideas on my own back. I do wish to sincerely thank everyone in here for your ideas, and especially your kindness.
THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 11-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #17
wiredgeorge

In the "edit your details" tab when you click UserCP, go to city and just put your city comma AU or Australia for the people who may know know what AU stands for. Note my location has Mico, TX. You can also create a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle and anything else you like that will appear after your posts so folks will have more context in their answers.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
bbells

Fyi, a trickle charger will not charge your batteries if the battery disconnect isn't disconnecting the battery from the trailer. There is a parasitic load that uses more than the trickle charger produces.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:39 AM   #19
Brazo

No power to slides

I have a cougar x- lite 2015 5th wheel was having issues with 12v power.My mechanic found that my battery cut off switch which is located in the baggage compartment was turned off by me by accident.I hit it with a box that I was loading into the compartment.
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:48 AM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
my brother is coming to visit at the end of the month and has promised to bring his VOm with him and do some checks.
It doesn't have to be fancy -- I assume you don't have Harbor Freights over there, but you should be able to find one of your own locally in that price range that does everything the average consumer needs. You can even use it to test your dry cells and button batteries.

Tags
fuse