Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #21
FlyingAroundRV

Something the OP said that rang a bell was that the aggressor's trailer looked “not well kept”.
I think the economic situation is such that more and more people are working more for less and some find themselves on the margins of homelessness. Some of those people are turning to live in RVs. Some of them are unemployable because of mental health issues. The shabby RV might be an indicator of life on the margins, which is why some parks are asking people the age of their rig and refusing entry to those with older RVs.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Seriously? A man was in the women's bathouse asking inappropriate questions? Seriouxly, she didn’t scream? I would have heard my DW a mile away.

Seriously? A man "pins you against your trailer" for 20 minutes? Seriously, he was talking "stuff" about your wife and you didn’t press charges? Seriously? I'm sorry but I seriously don’t believe this or at least don’t understand it.

If this all transpired as you described then my advice to you is to find some self defense classes and sign up. The most effective form of self defense is avoiding situations that place you in a position for needeing it. Siruational awareness, control of your environment, avoiding a confrontation if possible are wins everytime. But letting a bully get away by not filing charges? Seriously?

If you are going to take the pasafist path that's fine. Then run, hitch up and leave and live with your descision. For me, I wouldn’t tolerate that BS for a heartbeat. If my wife had that happen in the bathouse the police, my DW and I would be looking for the guy period. I guarantee he'd rather the cops get to him first. Then to have him "pin me against my trailer"? Seriously ???? I'm sorry but an ambulance would have carried one of us away.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:45 PM   #23
Ken / Claudia

I don't like doing or saying things because it's PC nowadays.
But, instead of saying your going to be prejudice it's likely really profiling your doing.
Profiling is something everyone of us does. Example: You pull into a gas station on a travel, never been there before. You want fuel and a restroom break.
At the pumps you see garbage lying all about, over stuffed garage cans. Pumps are dirty. 3 or 4 guys of any color, dirty, sitting on the curb near the doorway sharing a drink from a brown paper bag. All 4 starring at you.
Am I not the only one who would drive across the street to the fresh/clean major name station across the street?
Situational awareness was mentioned and it's not being paranoid, just safe.
Would you climb out of your vehicle and put your foot down without looking first if you parked in front of a sign reading "Watch out deadly rattle snakes in this area." That's also situational awareness. Most would read the sign and park elsewhere.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:12 PM   #24
jasin1

[QUOTE=wiredgeorge;475972][url]

Instantly thought of the same song George ..then I scrolled down and saw you were quicker on the draw
Old 11-09-2021, 02:53 PM   #25
Village Idiot

Before I retired I debated with numerous people (some of them attorneys) who felt profiling people was horrible. They would call in and complain about someone I supervised because they were "profiling people" I would tell them I know they are profiling people and they would be dumbfounded. I would then remind them profiling isn't bad thing unless they were profiling people based on race, sex etc. I would then use a similar analogy to Ken / Claudia. Everyone does it, they profile people/situations using their life experiences as a guide.
Village Idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #26
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
I don't like doing or saying things because it's PC nowadays.
But, instead of saying your going to be prejudice it's likely really profiling your doing.
Profiling is something everyone of us does. Example: You pull into a gas station on a travel, never been there before. You want fuel and a restroom break.
At the pumps you see garbage lying all about, over stuffed garage cans. Pumps are dirty. 3 or 4 guys of any color, dirty, sitting on the curb near the doorway sharing a drink from a brown paper bag. All 4 starring at you.
Am I not the only one who would drive across the street to the fresh/clean major name station across the street?
Situational awareness was mentioned and it's not being paranoid, just safe.
Would you climb out of your vehicle and put your foot down without looking first if you parked in front of a sign reading "Watch out deadly rattle snakes in this area." That's also situational awareness. Most would read the sign and park elsewhere.
Ken, I don't think that it requires years of police employment to see that what you said is on the money.
Jim
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:28 PM   #27
German Shepherd Guy

Me, I travel with a pack of German Shepherds. For some reason we have NEVER had that sort of problem. The German Shepherds are human "bad sort" detectors. Like Danny I too was a boy scout and carry that motto on today.
As an aside I just assume everyone in America is armed like me and so talk to folks and treat them accordingly. Sir, ma'm, please and thank you. Good manners go a long way in revealing the nature of a man, or woman.

Has anyone ever watched the last John Wayne movie "the shootist"? Read the code that the shootist lived by. LegionX, I am sure sorry that happened to you. Do not, as John implies, let that stop you. Move on. PLENTY of really good people out there.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:24 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
Me, I travel with a pack of German Shepherds. For some reason we have NEVER had that sort of problem. The German Shepherds are human "bad sort" detectors. Like Danny I too was a boy scout and carry that motto on today.
As an aside I just assume everyone in America is armed like me and so talk to folks and treat them accordingly. Sir, ma'm, please and thank you. Good manners go a long way in revealing the nature of a man, or woman.

Has anyone ever watched the last John Wayne movie "the shootist"? Read the code that the shootist lived by. LegionX, I am sure sorry that happened to you. Do not, as John implies, let that stop you. Move on. PLENTY of really good people out there.
How many German Shepherds constitute a pack? You get our Chihuhuas and Peekapoo barking and you will not want to open our camper door. Seriously, pooches of most any sort that watch out for strangers are one of the best RV security systems. We never take along any of our mutts who might actually do something about an intruder other than bark as our queen bed limits the amount of dog critters on a trip.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #29
notanlines

I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted.
I won’t be laid a-hand on.
I don’t do these things to other people
And I require the same from them.
J E Books
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #30
mikec557

If one's occupation didn't put you at the courthouse, or the county jail, or in conversations with law enforcement officers, or probation/parole officers, or prosecutors, or defense attorneys, (I'm sure I'm forgetting others), but if your occupation didn't expose you to this, then you have no idea how surrounded you are by criminals and other bad people, be they "petty or seriously bad." No amount of optimism nor rose colored glasses will change this fact.

Trust your instincts. Mother Nature gave you that tool for a reason. In case it's not obvious, the reason is for your "safety and survival." If something seems wrong, leave. If possible. If you're instinct was wrong, you're out nothing. If you're right, then you've removed yourself from the problem. Better safe, than sorry, right?

And for those of us comfortable with the 2nd Amendment, be prepared.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #31
Canonman

"Trust your instincts. Mother Nature gave you that tool for a reason. In case it's not obvious, the reason is for your "safety and survival." If something seems wrong, leave. If possible. If you're instinct was wrong, you're out nothing. If you're right, then you've removed yourself from the problem. Better safe, than sorry, right?

And for those of us comfortable with the 2nd Amendment, be prepared."

AMEN!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8482.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	36975  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #32
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
If one's occupation didn't put you at the courthouse, or the county jail, or in conversations with law enforcement officers, or probation/parole officers, or prosecutors, or defense attorneys, (I'm sure I'm forgetting others), but if your occupation didn't expose you to this, then you have no idea how surrounded you are by criminals and other bad people, be they "petty or seriously bad." No amount of optimism nor rose colored glasses will change this fact.

Trust your instincts. Mother Nature gave you that tool for a reason. In case it's not obvious, the reason is for your "safety and survival." If something seems wrong, leave. If possible. If you're instinct was wrong, you're out nothing. If you're right, then you've removed yourself from the problem. Better safe, than sorry, right?

And for those of us comfortable with the 2nd Amendment, be prepared.
For sure, I’ve been retired since 2008, but some “senses” never seem to dull.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #33
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
For sure, I’ve been retired since 2008, but some “senses” never seem to dull.
Ditto. I can pick a client out at a 100 yards. LOL
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:51 PM   #34
1tenor

I'm very sorry you have had this experience. We've never experienced that sort of thing while camping but we have probably just been fortunate. Some people just don't know how to behave.

Whenever possible, go camping with friends. It's always more fun to camp with others and safer too. You can make some great memories by sharing those outdoor experiences with good friends.
1tenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:03 AM   #35
LegionX

Thanks everyone for the support and advice!

I do agree with what most of you said and it is helpful. We won't let a bad apple ruin the adventure my wife and I started! And we will be more assertive with meeting other people.

Never told the whole story about the bathroom incident with my wife. Just FYI - we did try and hunt that guy (we'll call him.....Bill (Jim was taken)...lol) but never found him. The state park rangers and cops were called and helped look but still never found Bill - we figured must've not been staying in the campground and just visiting for the day.

Yes, I agree it is profiling not prejudice. We'll get better as time goes on and hopefully won't have any more incidents.

Thanks again!
LegionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:06 AM   #36
Ken / Claudia

Here's to much more happy and peaceful camping in days ahead!
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:58 AM   #37
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionX View Post
Full time RVing might not be our thing....

We've had to call the cops twice now in 3 months!!! I know a couple bad apples don't represent the whole lot of RVers but really!!!! 2 issues in 3 months!!!!

First my wife was scared out of her mind when a man entered the women's bathroom while she was showering, asking her inappropriate questions (she was alone in the bathroom). Last night our RV "neighbor" pinned me against the my RV for 20 minutes talking nonsense about my wife and I. I was able to get him to back up enough so I could run into the RV, lock the doors, and call the cops! I was actually concerned for my safety!!!! To the point of running through all the possible scenarios in my head of how to get away without going to the hospital!

He have pepper spray and knives but would rather not use them and I didn't have them on me as I didn't think that person was a threat. We even had a beer together a few nights prior with another RVer next to him. Sad that we even have to have weapons!

So far the bad experiences are outweighing the good ones...

Oh...for anyone interested. The first bad experience was at Illinois Beach State Park. This most recent one was at the Agricenter RV Park in Memphis.
DW and I are campground hosts in a couple of national parks where we reside. Over the past year we have noticed a different “breed” of camper. Entitled people, rude and disrespectful. Many of our cohosts and rangers believe it is that many are camping, tent or RV, for the first time in their lives and do not understand any “etiquette” for conduct in campgrounds or RV parks.
We have had to call for law enforcement rangers due to gross violations of the rules that impact neighboring campers. When asked, the excuse is, my camper is hot so I run the air conditioner all night, the animals won’t eat my food, or, the best, my campfire is under control so the no fire restriction doesn’t mean anything.
We tend to keep to ourselves in RV parks and the campgrounds which is contrary to what we did in the past.
We never use RV park showers or restrooms or campground restrooms due to the issue you comment about.
Perhaps in the near future these new campers will retreat to their concrete jungles and respectful campers will emerge.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #38
chuckster57
Site Team

PER FORUM RULES:

Lets keep the 2nd amendment DEVICES out of the thread

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #39
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
There are a good many folks in this world that like to prey on those weaker than themselves. While it is best to avoid those individuals, it isn't always possible.

To lessen the probability of an encounter, I find it important to display an air of confidence and readiness. Not aggressiveness, just alert readiness.
While I'm too old and broken down to kick butt anymore, I don't let on like I couldn't..
I'll never forget the quote an older co-worker told me when I was being a punk a$$ jerk! He said " I don't have the energy to dance with you anymore! I'll just find something and take you out in one shot!" He was smiling because he knew I was just goading him, but I never forgot it! Truthfully, if I could go back in time, I would kick my own butt because I surely needed it back then.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 10:04 AM   #40
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
My DW's wise Aunt once said to us, "Never trust anyone that your dog doesn't trust!" Over the years I have found that to be more true than not.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote