Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2021, 07:27 PM   #1
billjlocke

Grey water

I have a new 2022 Couger 316rls. The walk through I had was not sterling and it appears I have 2 grey tanks, not mentioned in my walk through. I got lucky on a couple things. First I put a valve where the cap goes on my dump line. I went camping in it for 3 days and grey2 filled about 2/3 and then grey one started filling. by the end of day three, both tanks indicated full. no backup anywhere.

When i went to dump, got hooked up and opened the valve where my hose was hooked, one of the grey tanks dumped. This handle seems to be under the rv and was open the whole time. I went ahead and dumped my black and other grey normally.

My question is, are these grey tanks plummed together as they seem to be. Did that one grey tank valve being open have any impact on the tanks equalizing (doesn’t seem logical). Or are they separate and we just got lucky, again doesn’t seem logical.
billjlocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The only way the two gray tanks would "equalize" (a procedure many of us use regularly to extend dry camping) is if BOTH gray tank valves were open. If only one gray valve is open and the other gray valve is closed, then waste water can not flow between the tanks (through the closed valve). I'd suspect that the take that filled more rapidly is plumbed to faucets/sinks/showers that were used more often... In our dry camping style, during the summer the galley tank fills first as we usually "jump off the side of the boat to bathe" rather than use the shower in the trailer. During the winter, the bathroom gray tank fills first because we shower in the trailer using more water than we do for washing dishes.

I'd suspect your tank filling experiences parallel ours, maybe not the same way, but in using more water at "one end of the trailer" so that tank fills faster...

To equalize the tanks, so they both fill "close to equally", you need to put a valve on the sewer outlet and open both gray tank dump valves. That will let waste water flow between the tanks, but not escape the trailer through the sewer outlet. If the trailer is relatively level, the tanks will fill fairly close to the same rate. If the rear of the trailer is 2-3 inches higher than the front of the trailer, then the rear tank will not fill as fast and when the front tank is full, there'll still be 2-3 inches of space remaining. When you think about the height of most tanks is 5-7 inches, that's somewhere between 1/3 of the tank space left when the front (lower tank) is already full.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water