Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2021, 05:43 PM   #1
Brantlyj

Brakes

I have a sticking front caliper so one side is worn more than the other and the rears had been changed but not the rotors and they are way out of spec so going to replace everything.

What is everyone using? I’ve typically used the Wagner semi-metallics and really liked them but those were on standard passenger vehicles.

Powerstop seems to have the best marketing but do they live up to the hype? Or is there something else I should be looking at?
Brantlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:52 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Brant, some clarification. Sticking "calipers", "rotors" are disc brake components. You have a 2019 Hideout, I'm not aware that they put disc brakes on that model....did you do an upgrade?? If not you have brake pads and brake drums.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:01 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Probably talking about his TV. If you have a sticking caliper then you need to address that. I have worked on autos “on the side” for over 40 years now and sticking calipers is a lubrication issue.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have had excellent results with O’Reillys brake best select and semi metallic pads.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:10 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Probably talking about his TV. If you have a sticking caliper then you need to address that. I have worked on autos “on the side” for over 40 years now and sticking calipers is a lubrication issue.

Anyway, to answer your question, I have had excellent results with O’Reillys brake best select and semi metallic pads.

Yep, you're probably right. I was in RV mode and not truck mode (didn't look at the forum it was posted in).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Brant, some clarification. Sticking "calipers", "rotors" are disc brake components. You have a 2019 Hideout, I'm not aware that they put disc brakes on that model....did you do an upgrade?? If not you have brake pads and brake drums.
I was talking about my truck. Guess I should have clarified.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Brantlyj

Quote:

I will fully evaluate the caliper when I take it off but I’m sure the guide pins were not greased properly. I’ve only had the truck for roughly 25,000 miles so I did not do the last brake job.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I’ve seen the wrong grease, and lack of cleaning before re greasing the pins. I’m not a big fan of slotted/drilled rotors for street vehicles.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I put the Powerstop rotors and pads on both trucks. I haven't found anything better IMHO. Way less brake dust on the wheels/tires and they have worn great. I've had great performance from them on some heavy breaking a couple of times. If your caliper was sticking you may have a warped rotor and if a lot of heat could have compromised the caliper seals as well. Give it a good looking over.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #9
Brantlyj

Quote:
I’ve seen the wrong grease, and lack of cleaning before re greasing the pins. I’m not a big fan of slotted/drilled rotors for street vehicles.
I have never used drilled and slotted rotors so I don’t have an opinion on them. Why do you not like them?
Old 10-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #10
Brantlyj

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I put the Powerstop rotors and pads on both trucks. I haven't found anything better IMHO. Way less brake dust on the wheels/tires and they have worn great. I've had great performance from them on some heavy breaking a couple of times. If your caliper was sticking you may have a warped rotor and if a lot of heat could have compromised the caliper seals as well. Give it a good looking over.
Well that’s why I have always used the Wagner’s. Lol.
But I really use this truck hard. I pull grain wagons full of corn weighing 33,000 lbs a couple times a month. I’ll haul a ton of horse feed at a time and of course the rv.
I have full confidence that the Wagners would do me right but if there’s something better I’ll go with it.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #11
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlyj View Post
I have a sticking front caliper so one side is worn more than the other and the rears had been changed but not the rotors and they are way out of spec so going to replace everything.

What is everyone using? I’ve typically used the Wagner semi-metallics and really liked them but those were on standard passenger vehicles.

Powerstop seems to have the best marketing but do they live up to the hype? Or is there something else I should be looking at?

powerstops are the right way to go unless you are friends with the guys over at strange and are updating the whole shebang down to the mounts...

Check out the z36 - ceramic carbon fiber and try and get the drilled slotted rotors (if avail)

metallic have a great first bite, but they fade FAST. I got onto the z26 for my 03 deville....that car I call a 'fast lesabre' - longer, wider, heavier, and much much faster than a lesabre, but uses the SAME brakes. over hill and dale here in PA I was fading a lot of brakes and had to use manual 3 and 2 a lot. I prefer not to hit my brakes when I can. went Z26 all 4 corners along with rotors and it was a different car. Even put them on my CTS and I could do pretty much whatever I wanted at any speed I wanted to before a corner.

Now comes Hildy pulling my boat over same hill and dale. Now I got an 8 speed to slap some gear in, but the boat is a big push. With surge brakes, you have to activate your tow brakes FIRST. Once I do the damn thing comes to a halt but I faded a few times so thats when I found z36. Its gonna cost me about $110 for just the 4 sets of pads, the rotors are gonna cost me just under $300 for all 4. I will do my own labor so thats gonna be less than taking it to monroe or similar for generic brakes per axle.

even 4 wheel disc, 70% of the braking is done on the front so at least look into it for the front. check out rock auto, get the part, plug into amazon and see what rings up
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:53 PM   #12
quaddriver
Gone Traveling

one more thing, the carbon fiber ceramics are less of a semi portable brake lathe than mettallics. you can get an easy 3 perhaps 4 sets of pads on 1 set of rotors. so long term, its a winner
quaddriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 11:47 AM   #13
NMRandy

Go OE and be done with it!! The dealer has brakes in stock for you vehicle, and they are usually about the same price, ask for their "value line", (same part, different box), and they last a lot longer than most aftermarket brake parts. That way you can do one end or the other without messing with the front/rear balance of you brake system. Brakes are the most important system on you vehicle. Why mess with the engineering the factory has done. Drilled rotors are for pressure relief from outgassing, which new brake pads do not do. Slotted rotors are for cooling under very extreme situations, (racing). Both reduce the surface area of the pad/rotor contact area, effectively reducing friction/braking ability.
NMRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:06 AM   #14
Gunny Mike

We blew out a caliper on our way home from Florida. Lucky we took I65 instead of those other interstate roads that have steep climbs and downhill runs. Ended up replacing all of the other calipers and rotors when we got back from that run.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes