Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2021, 10:22 AM   #21
wegone

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The "problem" (if there is one) is that if you're not familiar with the "unvisited campground", there's no way to know whether it's worth the 50 bucks a night or if it's closer to "they ought to pay you to stay there".... I don't know many people who are not willing to pay for what they get (if it's worth the cost) but I only know a few who will pay anything, regardless of the value... It's being exposed to the second one that causes me concern.... I don't like being cheated out of the value of my money any more than I like camping in a campground that "lied about what's available" and my "reserved site" is in the old part of the campground that is currently under construction and we have to trek through mud knee deep to get to the "part that's in the pictures" which is where we were told we'd have a site.....

While not an everyday occurrence, it does happen, far too often for it to just be a "one off situation".....
Just my opinion....nothing more.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but I think the odds improve as you look at parks that believe their facility is worth the extra premiums.

My son has a masters in marketing, has worked for some very well known names, you don't risk large investments on a chance to skim a few extra bucks on products/services that are not worth it...it goes against all reasoning and sound business 101.

Do some, of course....that is one mitigating factor I think that bolsters the reasoning that doing your research, and booking a spot well in advance, minimizes the risk of being forced to stay in a spot that is available, but way short of what I want....gotta be a reason its "still" available on such a short notice, and given this thread was presenting that "choice" seems limited nowadays because of "demand" adds another level of scrutiny as well, that needs to be considered as evidence.

Other than that, I'm done with my input....man, I don't come here to argue, but share....goodness dude, seems you like to hear yourself more, than what others offer.

Have a good day.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post

I also look at it like a investment in our lives, my wife and myself. We worked hard, and we want to enjoy the fruit of our labor. I am not going to skimp out now and chance a iffy park because of a few bucks, or even 50 bucks a night (more) to stay at a place that promises to deliver what we want.... I feel we are worth it

As John noted, what you're paying doesn't necessarily tell you what you're going to get. A couple of examples, one of which John sort of touched on;

Summer before last went to our favorite campground. The owner had said she was going to be expanding and upgrading but she had a spot for us. She did, in the middle of a sandy area surrounded by the ongoing work. No cut in price but she did give us a spot when some places would not have. Watched a Class A diesel pusher pulling a toad pulling into a "temporary site" in the middle of all this and promptly sink to the axles. For us it was OK but for the Class A folks and others that just dropped in not so much I'm sure. The price was not indicative of what was going on.

Second example; about 10 days ago took a trip to NM (non RV) and went to a remote area in the mountains I used to spend a lot of time in. At one time they had established an RV park up there and it was bare bones to say the least. Stayed in it for 10 days in 2015 with questionable, if not dangerous electric, and water (if the spigot worked) - $15 per night. Saw an ad that said new owners and management plus the RV park had been renovated with new 30/50A service. Had to have a look see since the only time these guys would get much business would be during deer season. Well, they had put gravel on the little loop but removed the picnic tables. About 5 sites had new gravel put down for parking the others still in the dirt and rocks. What about that new 30/50A service I thought? Went in and talked to the manager, she said they had THREE sites that had new power BUT at least the dump station was now operational (it hadn't been for years). That $15 price? It's now $50 per night for 50A and $40 per night for 30A.

Those prices for what's there will shock most folks when they arrive and I doubt they will feel they are getting their money's worth nor will they be happy. But, the other side to it is your comment about paying more to "get what you want". For some (myself included) that price is fine because they ARE getting "what they want" (isolation, nobody around and oh...a SUPER apple tree with the best apples in Oct.) and therefore their money's worth. Just be aware that price will not guarantee that "higher" level of accommodations.

Edit: Didn't see Island Eddie's response saying he was done with input. I'm leaving my post because it gives a couple of examples of why you might not get what you think you are paying for....or want.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #23
travelin texans

Our son lived in Gig Harbor Washington for awhile so we searched for a park with FHUs so we could spend a month to 6 weeks. The only park, other than state parks that we wouldn't fit into, in the area was a bit pricey, $700 + elec monthly. It had "OK" ratings & it really bragged up their swimming pool, "nicest in the area". It appeared to be a former KOA with a the sites terraced up the side of a hill, our view from under the awning was the roof of the neighbors rv. We decided one afternoon to try the "nicest in the area" pool only to find it "closed for the season", it was June when we were there, & looked like it was filled with lime Jello.
The DW had some medical issues while there so I ask to stay another month was then informed that yes I could but would have to relocate to different spots about every other day as people had specific spots reserved. Then they told me at the office "Oh! BTW, July 1st starts our summer season" I asked what that meant & was told that the rates went to $125 per day so I ask how much per month to which she said "well it's a $125 per day + electric" to which I said "we'll be out tomorrow!".
Needless to say we never stayed again & never would again!
In 10+ years fulltiming I made reservations a day or 2 ahead of time all across the country & with exception of the above mentioned park & one other dump of a falsely advertised place in Florida, which we didn't stay after seeing the dump, we were always happy with our choices & always easily found a place. Glad we aren't doing it now!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
Just my opinion....nothing more.

Nothing in life is guaranteed but I think the odds improve as you look at parks that believe their facility is worth the extra premiums.

My son has a masters in marketing, has worked for some very well known names, you don't risk large investments on a chance to skim a few extra bucks on products/services that are not worth it...it goes against all reasoning and sound business 101.

Do some, of course....that is one mitigating factor I think that bolsters the reasoning that doing your research, and booking a spot well in advance, minimizes the risk of being forced to stay in a spot that is available, but way short of what I want....gotta be a reason its "still" available on such a short notice, and given this thread was presenting that "choice" seems limited nowadays because of "demand" adds another level of scrutiny as well, that needs to be considered as evidence.

Other than that, I'm done with my input....man, I don't come here to argue, but share....goodness dude, seems you like to hear yourself more, than what others offer.

Have a good day.

Obviously I "hit a raw nerve" and that's OK, so did you. I too have a degree in marketing (from the school of hard knocks) and won't spend my money in places that don't properly represent their facilities...

One such situation is a "luxurious and spacious RV park with semi-permanent accommodations" in Raleigh, NC. It's just down the street from Camping World and priced well above the "surrounding area camping facilities"... It's an old converted mobile home park with more than a few of those older 10x50 trailer houses remaining. The sites are spacious (long and wide) but the two concrete strips for trailer tires are sized for mobile homes not travel trailers, so there's a muddy rut that makes the site uneven for any travel trailer. The sewer hookup and the water connection are between the concrete strips, so to make the connections accessible, you have to either park toward the front of the site, toward the back of the site or crawl under your trailer to attach your sewer hose and water hose (lots of fun when it's raining and the concrete strips keep the standing water from draining away from the sewer connection). The electric is mounted on a telephone pole behind each site and is a single 50 amp plug in a wall box. There is no cable, no internet, no pool, no trash pickup (only a smelly dumpster at the back of the lot, next to a stack of old furniture and mattresses. The laundry facility is 2 pay washers and 2 pay dryers in a 12x16 portable building with no door on it and only one florescent fixture hanging from the center. There was no trash can in the laundry, so "scoops of lint were strewn around the building and there were at least 3 wasp nests on the outside eaves of the shed.

The internet site acclaimed it "the best, most luxurious place in Raleigh to spend your time, relaxing in our well kept resort".... All for $55 a night for 2 people, pets extra and all guests must register, pay a facility fee and if remaining overnight, additional charges will apply.

So, while I'm happy that you've found your "heaven on earth" and are excited to be headed there again, that's not always the situation we all find ourselves in. In the 50+ years I've been dragging a trailer around this nation, I've found more than a few "misrepresented campgrounds"...

Just like "Keystone, Forest River and even Winnebago are cashing in on the newfound interest in RVing"... So are "shyster campground owners".... In a mostly unregulated industry, there are few rules to enforce and fewer return customers to be concerned about, so for most of their business interests, it's a one and done event....

Now, the last time we were in Steamboat Springs, the KOA well pump was out, there was no water in the campground, and a "water buffalo" to fill trailer fresh water tanks. The bath houses were closed as was the pool , because of the well not working. The price for a standard campsite with full hookups was $70 per day and the upgrade sites were $95/day. There was no discount for not having water. During our 4 days there, not one concession for the lack of water in the campground... But you could buy "Denver is not the only mile HIGH city" tee shirts with a marijuana leaf on the back, for a mere $39 plus tax.

Cynical??? Not really, just been burned more than a few times and no longer afraid to say, "No thanks, we'll try down the road a few miles" and if that means an overnight in a WalMart parking lot, at least I won't have supported a business that doesn't give me what I expect to reasonably get for my money..... YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #25
notanlines

Linux, see what you started? Next we’ll have Dan in Ontario whining because he can’t get here until November!
(I tried to get a smiley but can’t on my phone)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:15 AM   #26
linux3

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Linux, see what you started?
Sorry, sorry.
https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...lies/smile.gif
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:21 AM   #27
Jim Aitken

Because of the high demand for campsites, people are making multiple reservations 6 months ahead then canceling the ones they don't want at the last moment.
Old 10-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #28
Camping family

For us we like a plan. I want to know where I’m staying and for how long. Like having full hook ups and stay at least 3 days. As for Walmart or rest area not really what I would like to do. Now if for some reason I had to I would. Run into bad weather or for whatever reason just had to stop and rest.
2021 3761 fl Montana 5th wheel
Pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Retired LEO after 35 years just enjoying life now.
Camping family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:44 AM   #29
rlh1957

I’m afraid we are at the beginning of a bad trend in camping areas. I welcome anyone that chooses to enjoy camping life. We were all noobs at one time to some extent. But this new mad dash to buy and RV has aroused the ugly monster Investment Entities.
Just like when they started buying up and consolidating RV manufacturers and sucking up mom & pop RV dealers to control RV sales from national mega-dealers.
Now they are buying up RV & camping properties left and right. They put in a few new electrical breakers, repaint bathhouses, put in a few amenities and call it a RV Resort and make it part of a chain and justify higher prices.

We’re not quite there yet, but These scoundrels have already begun nipping at Washington and paying off lobbyists to press the idea that they get a lease from the government to administer and oversee BLM type camping. And to sweeten the pot of-course they will put money back into the government coffers or congressman's petty cash box!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:04 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
These scoundrels have already begun nipping at Washington and paying off lobbyists to press the idea that they get a lease from the government to administer and oversee BLM type camping. And to sweeten the pot of-course they will put money back into the government coffers or congressman's petty cash box!

The above is very close to political conversation which is not allowed. Please leave these types of comments out of posts. They can degenerate into a political conversation that is not productive for the membership.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:30 AM   #31
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
I’m afraid we are at the beginning of a bad trend in camping areas. I welcome anyone that chooses to enjoy camping life. We were all noobs at one time to some extent. But this new mad dash to buy and RV has aroused the ugly monster Investment Entities.
Just like when they started buying up and consolidating RV manufacturers and sucking up mom & pop RV dealers to control RV sales from national mega-dealers.
Now they are buying up RV & camping properties left and right. They put in a few new electrical breakers, repaint bathhouses, put in a few amenities and call it a RV Resort and make it part of a chain and justify higher prices.
COVID distancing culture boosted the allure of RVing all out of proportion. Some percentage of the people who discovered the activity are going to like it; I predict most won't. Add to this fact that the boom caused manufacturers to lower their already-marginal QC to new depths, which will shorten the "honeymoon phase" even further. The bubble dislocations will last a minimum of two years, in my opinion (but 2021 is already one of those years).

At the end, I foresee availability going back up, but campsite prices not coming back down. However, it will probably push the normal inflationary price increases further out... unless of course general inflation itself gets out of hand, which is a distinct probability. The "investment entities' will either adjust to the end of the bubble, or crash and burn like other bubble-denizens. In the age of Yelp and RV Parky, bait-and-switch campgrounds won't survive long.

In short, for RVing, the COVID culture did precisely the opposite of flattening the curve. The major benefit for us is that we may see a buyer's market for used recent-model RVs and TVs, many high-end -- though some will have seen problematic maintenance and usage.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:02 AM   #32
rlh1957

I stand corrected… mouth was in gear, and not staying pertinent to the spirit of the site as a neutral non-political location for help.

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:47 AM   #33
Danimal713

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
We are winding down our first trip since COVID (since Dec 2019)…Texas to Gatlinburg and back. We stayed in Pigeon Forge for a few days. This was our first visit to the area and it may be normal for that area…but I have never seen as many people, kids and RVs as we saw there. I thought Port Aransas TX and the beach on July 4 was busy…Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg was Port A on steroids x 10. I’m not saying it was a bad thing - we were glad to see so many folks having fun and enjoying life! Had to wear a mask inside the Smokey Mountain Park visitor center for the first time in many MONTHS (government building). We are in Memphis now and all the stores have a mask mandate…not sure why…but it felt like things were in TX a year ago.
Thanks for visiting TN. Tourism dollars help keep my taxes low! We moved to TN about 6 1/2 years ago after visiting the area and staying on the "quiet side- Townsend). We now live about 15 minutes west of there and can be in the park from Townsend entrance in less than 20 minutes. We love it here and can see the first range of Smokys (Chillhowee) from our front porch.
GAT & PF is like that all year long mostly. When we do hikes inthat direction it is not bad getting through in early morning but getting back home can be an experience. just keep thinking all the tourists pay my state income tax! It is a beautiful area and I am glad people visit and enjoy and that we moved here.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote