Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 04:08 PM   #21
jasin1

Damn that’s pretty impressive ( post #19)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:35 PM   #22
Laredo Tugger

The only experience I have meshing gears was with a motorcycle gear case that I split years ago. So, I am happy to let the dealer pull the "fill" plug and inspect it. If they deem further disassembly is required, they can do it under warranty.
The TSB instructions show that removing four bolts allows you to move the sway bar out of the way, never done it so I won't say it's easy. My service writer said they use a pump for their differential oil changes unless the "fill" plug (on our model trucks) shows excessive shavings, then they will remove the cover. I do not have a drain plug either.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:36 PM   #23
gearhead

Most are OK from the factory, but the field tech will use way too much bluing to check it. That really doesn't tell you much except you used too much bluing. I was trained to use a very light application of bluing, then transfer that with clear Scotch tape to a pure white piece of paper.
Some vendors were pretty good at slopping a lot of bluing on a taper and asking me...looks good huh? No, it doesn't.
Nothing like having a taper on the coupling on a 80,000HP turbine getting eaten alive and bringing a major Gulf Coast ethylene plant to a halt. "Force Majuer" declared.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 04:42 PM   #24
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
The only experience I have meshing gears was with a motorcycle gear case that I split years ago. So, I am happy to let the dealer pull the "fill" plug and inspect it. If they deem further disassembly is required, they can do it under warranty.
The TSB instructions show that removing four bolts allows you to move the sway bar out of the way, never done it so I won't say it's easy. My service writer said they use a pump for their differential oil changes unless the "fill" plug (on our model trucks) shows excessive shavings, then they will remove the cover. I do not have a drain plug either.
RMc
My sway bar is an aftermarket monster, Hellwig Big Wig. It's big and pretty close to the diff cover.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:04 PM   #25
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
My sway bar is an aftermarket monster, Hellwig Big Wig. It's big and pretty close to the diff cover.
Hey, what do I know. I thought the "Big Wig" was another one of your humorous antidotes. Didn't know it was an actual product.
Had to chuckle at the cat poop quip. Some of the regulars on here come up with lighthearted comments from time to time.
That's good. A little humor can't hurt these days.
Thanks,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:28 PM   #26
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingram View Post
Get ready to wait a while. they are backordered from China. My wife's Grand Cherokee had the same problem, 8 weeks ago. Line across the top and corners, went nuts. You can take it apart and just replace the LG screen, but also backordered everywhere. I pre-ordered 7 weeks ago. $580.00 for just the screen. She has been driving around with a hole in the dashboard. No radio, etc.
Ah ha...you must not have a PLATINUM Service Writer. LOL My guy just called me and said my radio is in. Install scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.
Probably not the same unit.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:41 PM   #27
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Damn that’s pretty impressive ( post #19)
Like those machinery pics? Here's some compressors pushing nat gas up north from south Texas. V-12 Waukesha engine driving Ariel compressor. Installed 12 of these on a 100,000 acre ranch about 10 miles from the Rio Grande.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00546.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	36002  
Old 09-24-2021, 02:23 PM   #28
jasin1

Quote:
Like those machinery pics? Here's some compressors pushing nat gas up north from south Texas. V-12 Waukesha engine driving Ariel compressor. Installed 12 of these on a 100,000 acre ranch about 10 miles from the Rio Grande.
Well I wouldn’t want to pay that crane bill …guess they paid two cranes for at least a day a piece…seems like a unbalanced load but I would think one crane could do that job

Edit: I’m guessing the contractor owns the cranes
Old 09-24-2021, 03:17 PM   #29
notanlines

One of our best customers for a number of years was Texas Gas Transmission. We had four man blast and paint crews at the pumping site and associated sites for years. Monster engines and pumps!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 03:43 PM   #30
gearhead

Quote:
Well I wouldn’t want to pay that crane bill …guess they paid two cranes for at least a day a piece…seems like a unbalanced load but I would think one crane could do that job

Edit: I’m guessing the contractor owns the cranes
Yes the contractor owns the cranes. Actually those cranes were used on a duplicate compressor station just down the road that was built by a different contractor.

I don't remember what the skids weighed, they weren't light. We had company engineers review the lift plan and they may have upped the requirements. That is usually not the place we worried about costs. Actually there wasn't much worry about budget at all.
Damn I miss it.

You can see these compressor stations on Google maps satellite view. Next to Hwy 83 on the west side. Shell sold to Sanchez Oil and Gas. Just Google: George Strait ranch. We were across Hwy 83 due west; Harrison Piloncillo Ranch. George has a little ranch. You can see the palm trees leading to his house and his airstrip. Most of the substantial ranches have their own airport. These are mostly hunting ranches, cattle production is secondary I think. All the little white squares on Google are oil and gas well sites.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:50 PM   #31
jasin1

Quote:
Yes the contractor owns the cranes. Actually those cranes were used on a duplicate compressor station just down the road that was built by a different contractor.

I don't remember what the skids weighed, they weren't light. We had company engineers review the lift plan and they may have upped the requirements. That is usually not the place we worried about costs. Actually there wasn't much worry about budget at all.
Damn I miss it.

You can see these compressor stations on Google maps satellite view. Next to Hwy 83 on the west side. Shell sold to Sanchez Oil and Gas. Just Google: George Strait ranch. We were across Hwy 83 due west; Harrison Piloncillo Ranch. George has a little ranch. You can see the palm trees leading to his house and his airstrip. Most of the substantial ranches have their own airport. These are mostly hunting ranches, cattle production is secondary I think. All the little white squares on Google are oil and gas well sites.
George strait ranch?? Well that is pretty cool
Old 09-24-2021, 03:51 PM   #32
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
One of our best customers for a number of years was Texas Gas Transmission. We had four man blast and paint crews at the pumping site and associated sites for years. Monster engines and pumps!
Yes there are some monster engines and pumps. I saw one engine in the Houston fab shop that was almost unbelievable. At minimum a V-16. CAT yellow.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:54 PM   #33
gearhead

Quote:
George strait ranch?? Well that is pretty cool
Yeah we would watch that private jet come and go several times a week. George was a local, grew up nearby. Didn't particularly like the oil people stomping across his place. He didn't own the mineral rights. Not like he needed the money anyway.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:07 PM   #34
jasin1

Always liked his music …so all,those Diesel engines had to have their own fuel tanks nearby and fueled constantly? Shame they couldn’t run on natural gas…I guess the longevity and durability would override the savings of running gas engines an getting a lot less power with higher rpms and noise…I know the diesel would unquestionably always be the choice anywhere else but having a fuel supply that you are sitting on top of would make me think they would have a way to use it to offset costs

Edit I just looked up the Waukesha engine ..lol just realized they make a gas engine as well as diesel
Old 09-24-2021, 04:16 PM   #35
gearhead

Four star dining in Catarina Texas:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00621.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	36009  
Old 09-24-2021, 04:41 PM   #36
gearhead

Quote:
Always liked his music …so all,those Diesel engines had to have their own fuel tanks nearby and fueled constantly? Shame they couldn’t run on natural gas…I guess the longevity and durability would override the savings of running gas engines an getting a lot less power with higher rpms and noise…I know the diesel would unquestionably always be the choice anywhere else but having a fuel supply that you are sitting on top of would make me think they would have a way to use it to offset costs

Edit I just looked up the Waukesha engine ..lol just realized they make a gas engine as well as diesel
They are all nat gas engines.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:45 PM   #37
jasin1

Quote:
They are all nat gas engines.
Yeah shows how much I know about the gas production industry
Something that never occurred to me until I saw your post ….makes sense though

For that matter I never really knew about the caterpillar gas engine technology..just read a small snippet about them …just never crossed my radar before..now I’m gonna go down that rabbit hole of research to read up on it
Old 09-24-2021, 05:14 PM   #38
gearhead

I was told that we ended up with Waukesha because Caterpillar was back ordered and we didn't want to wait.
Supposedly the CAT has a drawback in that it runs so lean that it has issues keeping the catalytic converter "lit off".
So much is based on environmental issues. Our compressor stations were built next to Hwy 83, practically under the power lines. But it was such a boom time growth the utility company couldn't commit to providing power for electric motor drivers. Our environ study had to include the pollution created by the nearby highway, which of course we had no control over.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #39
gearhead

Ok, before the moderators get after me for completely derailing a thread about differentials, I'll tell one more story.
I was home for a weekend from south Texas and went to get a haircut at my small town barber shop. You know, the shop on the courthouse square that's been there forever. I walk in and take a seat. Barber asks "where you been? Haven't seen you in a while" South Texas on a job. Thought you were retired. Well I couldn't say no to the money. What you doing? Inspector on compressor installations. Where at? Piloncillo Ranch north of Laredo. So up pipes "Joe Smith" a Petroleum Engineer and attorney from a barber chair: Oh I know that ranch and been on it. You know how they got started? No. One of them used to work in the Liberty County Clerks office. He would watch the oil companies sign up property for drilling rights and jump ahead of them and sign them up himself and then flip the property back to oil companies.
I wonder if that would still work??
Typical barbershop BS??
....A cornucopia of useless information.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:41 PM   #40
jasin1

Quote:
Ok, before the moderators get after me for completely derailing a thread about differentials, I'll tell one more story.
I was home for a weekend from south Texas and went to get a haircut at my small town barber shop. You know, the shop on the courthouse square that's been there forever. I walk in and take a seat. Barber asks "where you been? Haven't seen you in a while" South Texas on a job. Thought you were retired. Well I couldn't say no to the money. What you doing? Inspector on compressor installations. Where at? Harrisons Piloncillo Ranch north of Laredo. So up pipes "Joe Smith" a Petroleum Engineer and attorney from a barber chair: Oh I know that ranch and been on it. You know how the Harrisons got started? No. One of them used to work in the Liberty County Clerks office. He would watch the oil companies sign up property for drilling rights and jump ahead of them and sign them up himself and then flip the property back to oil companies.
I wonder if that would still work??
....A cornucopia of useless information.
Yeah I actually like all the in between stories and derailed topics…that’s what makes the site interesting for me…I like talking to people about their life experiences…a question about a problem can be answered in a few sentences….hearing about their first trailer 40 years ago and what it was like camping back then …or other life stories? …I could spend an entire afternoon listening

Used to spend my younger afternoons drinking beer with a 80+ year old Marina owner…he was a millionaire but you would never guess it…had an old GM motorhome he drove to dinner a couple a nights a week..his adult son was autistic so they traveled that way…drove a beat up old van..but owned a large Marina and different homes as well as a home on the water in miami …his Marina looked like a museum Old original museum quality caterpillar dozer in his shop..old Harley Packard service trike …anyway yeh I like stories