Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #1
machz

First long trip

Well, we have just completed our first long run. We totaled 2983 miles round trip from NH to Ft wilderness at Disney. Going to Disney we started about 12 PM on Thursday 9/2 and spent the night at a cracker barrel in Wilkes Barre PA after 7 hours on the road. The next day we traveled from Wilkes to Savanna Georgia after 15 hours because of construction. On the last day, we headed to ft wilderness arriving after 5 hours. All in all, it was a very relaxing enjoyable trip.

The last time I was at Ft Wilderness I was 3 in 1973 so it was all new for us. What a great campground and a ton to do without ever leaving. The parks were a ghost town as Disney was having record low crowds. Most rides were no wait at all and we could walk on whatever we wanted.

On 9/11 we headed back to NH. We traveled from Ft Wilderness to just outside of Roanoke VA after 14 hours. The second leg was from VA to NH after 13 hours.

The truck pulled the trailer like a dream even in the windy blue ridge mountains and with a large number of tractor-trailers on the road. Never once did I have any sway or a feeling of the trailer pulling the truck around. The trucks 7.2 Kwh generator was fantastic as we were able to run anything we wanted including the water heater, microwave, or AC. The one negative was the MPG and the amount of times I had to fill. The truck being a powerboost has the smaller 31 Gallon tank but when towing electric is never used so MPG is the same as every other 3.5 Ecoboost. I averaged a calculated 8.9 MPG and would fill the tank between 1/4 and 1/2 full so I had to stop often.

DW and I enjoyed our first long trip and have already booked for next year. We are about 10 years from retirement but are already looking forward to traveling across this great country of ours.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i-QnrCNwv-X2.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	648.6 KB
ID:	35810   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-svbJZkB-X2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	35811   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-bHNdLjp-X2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	35812   Click image for larger version

Name:	i-hwhmqW4-X2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	35813  
machz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #2
curtiscapk

wow! Great trip!
2013 F150 5.0 2WD
Equalizer 4 WDH
Overland Park, KS
curtiscapk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:13 AM   #3
Gary R.

Sounds like you guys had a great time!

Thanks for sharing.
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:23 AM   #4
jxnbbl

Excellent - This was our first year with a trailer and made 3 long trips over the past 11 months. One was the same a WDW trip April to surprise our grandchildren. Although we stayed there many times when our children were children...it was in the cabins. Our kids ended up staying in the condo and the grandchildren with us. It was a total blast...which precipitated other trips this year and a new trailer purchase with a separate bunk room for the grandchildren.

Thanks for the trip report
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote