Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 09-01-2021, 05:12 PM   #1
JOglesby

Making a switch

So we bought a truck and camper this year. The trailer is a little bigger than I had planned on initially, so here we are. I currently have the RAM 1500 classic with the 5.7 liter Hemi. Its a great truck. It tows the trailer OK but we are really maxed out and not wanting to take it on a longer trip. Here's my question. I know there is a lot of debate on gas vs. diesel. Either would do fine. We have a Bullet 290BHS that is 6,200 pounds dry. I am looking at getting the Ram 2500. Gas or Diesel?????? I know why people go with the diesel, better on the long haul, more power/torque, etc.... However fuel economy aside cost of ownership is much higher with a diesel. Has anyone switched from Diesel TO gas and what was your deciding factor? OR why did you not go gas?
JOglesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

And so the great debate starts once again. I used to tow with a gas rig, 460 CID with some serious modifications. It was a 1986 so it was way before all the computer controlled stuff. I switched to the diesel truck in sig in 2008, and towed the same trailer. I’ll never go back to gas…JMHO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:52 PM   #3
Vet4jdc

We towed with a gas truck initially. We went to diesel and will never go back!
Old 09-01-2021, 05:57 PM   #4
Ken / Claudia

Switched out of gas pickups in 1998 and will not go back. You can pinch penny's to see witch costs more or less to maintain either of them. Diesels cost more when buying and also mostly resale for more than gassers when it's time to sell as long as you take care of your vehicles. Any trashed vehicle will never sell at top dollar. Good Luck finding many on here that switched from diesel to gasser to tow a RV. Mostly the gasser guys never made the jump. That's fine with me, it's their choice. They tow there RVs, most say "just fine". So does my pickup and other past diesels. The newer pickups in either have more power than just a few years ago.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I towed with a diesel from 1993 - 2003. Got out of RVing until 2009. In 2009 we bought a gas F150 and a small fifth wheel. It only took one trip greater than 500 miles and I bought a F250 gas truck. It was capable, but "screaming engine/ 6 speed transmission in 3rd gear to climb hills (not mountains) in West Virginia. Best mileage was around 8, average was in the "high six point something"... When we got home from that trip, I bought another diesel.

After having the performance of a diesel, then going back to gas, well, there's just no comparison..... I'll tow with a diesel or we'll fly and rent a condo....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Ahhh, the debate.

Diesel folks say that no one has used a diesel and went back to a gas truck; I'm surrounded by them (those that have gone from a diesel to a gas truck - farmers). I've pulled various big items with a diesel truck (not mine - my company) and they absolutely "pull" better but at a cost - that is where "you" as the buyer has to do homework on what it is you do and what's important to you.

Diesel owners tout "longevity", you can drive 2-300k. Who cares IMO, I won't drive anything past 100k (actually never had anything past 96k - one time and said never again). I don't like a truck "aging" around me; I like the newer advancements. So, longevity for some is irrelevant.

Better mileage; that used to be the case but with advancements in gas engines the margin is so small as to make it irrelevant as well - 1, maybe 2 mpg doesn't mean anything to some (me).

More pulling power; hands down a diesel pulls better. In the old days the difference was eye opening. With modern high power gas engines and multi/multi speed transmissions that difference is actually narrowed a LOT. Many of those that advocate a diesel and will never go back have never driven a new truck with a properly equipped gas engine - like some of my neighbors. When you will notice it, and want a diesel, is when you get to heavyweight RVs - certainly heavier than your trailer.

Now if you want to pull 15% grades every day with 10k behind you, get a diesel. If you just travel normal terrain with that small of a trailer a diesel is just overkill...unless you like to hear the "noise" as you drive around the campground.

The trick will be how you equip the gas truck; you have to have a high (numerically) rear axle ratio and the new transmissions; something from 2017? or earlier will leave you wanting the diesel. Obviously you have to have the largest, highest rated gas engine they have. For what you have any of the big 3 gassers will do just fine.

My stuff is in my signature. I've debated, sliced, diced, cut and dried every number that can be cut up (along with personally towing with current trucks) and there's no way I can justify 10-11k additional cost to "feel good" - not to mention the other associated costs. I've pulled the trailer listed across the country repeatedly and up grades up to about 7%. I've never encountered a situation that made me "want" a diesel engine at the cost they come at. I've never exceeded 3500 rpm while maintaining the posted speed limit. And, the old tale that "you get your money back" if you buy a diesel isn't correct; you will get depreciation on that engine just like you do on the truck...or a gas truck.

So, in the end it's 100% up to you; do your due diligence; determine what it is you like; what rpm threshold are you comfortable with on an engine; how much you want to spend for what and what you get from it....for YOU.

All that said; the diesels I drove towing were years ago, like most of those that refer to gas engines and compare them to modern diesels. I have driven new diesels and stand by they aren't worth the premium unless you NEED what they can do to make them worth it. But....

Full disclosure, I will probably buy a new diesel when I replace this truck. Not because this one won't do the job - it does. It's more that I want to use my money before I kick the bucket, not leave so much behind for the kids - then probably get rid of it right away because I/we don't like diesel, the mess or the smell.

NOW you can begin digesting and let the fun begin!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:59 PM   #7
travelin texans

Add me to the "never go back" group!
There's ABSOLUTELY no comparison towing with a diesel compared to a gasser. Yes the mileage difference may be minimal nowadays, but the diesel does it ALL effortlessly.
Also most non diesel owners always mention the extremely high cost of maintenance, I will attest that with the last 2 GMCs I owned for a a total of 300k+ (approximately 150k miles towing) miles that I DID NOT notice much difference in periodic maintenance. Now if you have serious mechanical issues it's going to cost plenty whether it's a diesel or gas.
FYI for the OP, that "6200lbs dry" means absolutely nothing to you! Use the. GVWR posted on the rv along with the average percentage (23%) for pin weight of a 5th compared tho the payload listed in the door jamb of the chosen truck.
Pay NO attention to dry weights, max tow weight of any truck, numbers posted in brochures or websites & especially anything about weights either the rv or truck salesman quotes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:21 AM   #8
markcee

I can tell you that you will have no issues hauling your Bullet (@ 7600 lb GVWR) pretty much anywhere you want with a 3/4 or 1 ton gas truck. While I have not done any double-digit grades I have pulled my 9500 lb GVWR TT cross country and back each of the last two years, as well as numerous trips in the SW area without any difficulty in my 6.2L gasser. Does it rev high pulling grades? Absolutely, but it's supposed to. Gas mileage is also not as good as what I read the diesel guys getting. I averaged 8.3 from Arizona to Ohio this year, driving at, I would guess, an average of 65mph.

I think another question to ask yourself is what does the future hold? Do you plan on upgrading to a larger/heavier trailer during the life of whatever truck you end up purchasing? While a 3/4 ton is plenty of truck for your current travel trailer - gas or diesel, if you decide to go diesel and are considering a trailer upgrade in the future, you should think 1-ton. The payload capacity on a 3/4 ton diesel will likely only be in the mid 2K range - possibly lower. Depending on how many passengers and gear you carry in the truck, even a heavier TT could be stretching the payload limits of some 3/4 ton diesels. An upgrade to a 5th wheel would place even more strain on payload.

The cost difference between a 3/4 and 1 ton is less than $1K and well worth the extra payload.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:10 AM   #9
johnnybadger

Markcee made the points I was going to make. If you’re thinking diesel is the best route for you, move into a 1-ton, not a 3/4-ton. The weight of the diesel engine diminishes a lot of the benefits of moving up to a 3/4-ton TV from a 1/2-ton gasser.
Curt A20 Slide
johnnybadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I understand the poster did not really ask the question about a 1 ton, But the last post has about the best advice. I guess gas or diesel if we all talking only about now with the trailer you have any engine in a bigger class truck will work.
Life is all about needs and wants along with affordability. You need a bigger class truck for a tow vehicle. If you want and a can afford a diesel great your driving/towing experience will be as good as it gets. But the Ram 2500/3500 with a gas engine will also work. Really consider a 3500 as a top pick. Test drive both before you buy.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #11
Matthewtally

I tow a 290BHS with a 2013 Ram 2500 5.7 gas. It handles it great! Even in the mountains, I have no trouble maintaining speed or even accelerating. Would a diesel be “better” I’m sure it would. More power is always better. I certainly don’t feel the NEED for a diesel though. My gasser handles it just fine.
Matthewtally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:26 AM   #12
wiredgeorge

De ja vous all over again! The 3/4 ton truck normally has not so great payload and a diesel in a not so great payload 3/4 ton makes it worse. If you have an 34' and 7600 lb (gross weight) trailer, the 1/2 ton is really a white knuckle dream but it seems a gas 3/4 ton would make pulling that trailer down the road a lot less interesting. Put the diesel in it and while you get more grunt you have a lot less payload. If you don't plan on upgrading anytime in the future get the gasser.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #13
jsb5717

Diesel, always diesel. I won't have anything else. There are some, however...yes, I'm thinking of you, Danny ...who prefer gas. So, obviously, it's a subjective decision. The one that matters the most is yours. Take the input you've asked for then make your own choice. Both will get you there.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Diesel, always diesel. I won't have anything else. There are some, however...yes, I'm thinking of you, Danny ...who prefer gas. So, obviously, it's a subjective decision. The one that matters the most is yours. Take the input you've asked for then make your own choice. Both will get you there.

Thank you Jeff! And here on our 54th anniversary I didn't think anyone knew! Errr, or maybe it was about truck engines??? Now, if that brisket would just get done on that smoker it would be a superior day!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #15
jsb5717

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thank you Jeff! And here on our 54th anniversary I didn't think anyone knew! Errr, or maybe it was about truck engines??? Now, if that brisket would just get done on that smoker it would be a superior day!!
Ha! Happy Anniversary! Enjoy the day and the brisket and don't even think about engines
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:10 AM   #16
Fourbtgait

Gas currently

I have had a Dodge and Ford diesel, but then was always pulling gooseneck horse trailer or camper.
Currently F350 gas 6.2 for simple fact it is a daily driver and work is only 4 miles away. Doing that daily ruins a diesel. Pulling max 6500 trailer is no issue. On highway empty I get 16 mpg. Work I get 13 mpg. Towing trailer our typical trips is 9.5 mpg.
I do miss the old Dodge which got 20mpg empty on highway, 14 towing.
Fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 01:51 PM   #17
CaptnJohn

I said never diesel! That was dumb! On my 4th F350 and 2nd dually. It’s my daily driver. I’ll never ever go back to gas.
Agree 1000% don’t do the 3/4 ton. Minimal cost increase maximum payload increase and though you don’t need it now you will!
You will be looking for a GAS STATION every 2 hours or a tad more. Think of how much fun that is with the trailer. With the diesel it’s in with the big boys. Lots of room to safely maneuver.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #18
Fourbtgait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I said never diesel! That was dumb! On my 4th F350 and 2nd dually. It’s my daily driver. I’ll never ever go back to gas.
Agree 1000% don’t do the 3/4 ton. Minimal cost increase maximum payload increase and though you don’t need it now you will!
You will be looking for a GAS STATION every 2 hours or a tad more. Think of how much fun that is with the trailer. With the diesel it’s in with the big boys. Lots of room to safely maneuver.
You must of had small tank. Even pulling trailer i have 400 mile range. What mpg does your diesel get pulling?
Fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 02:54 PM   #19
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourbtgait View Post
You must of had small tank. Even pulling trailer i have 400 mile range. What mpg does your diesel get pulling?
Read his post a little closer. Most pickups out there today are short bed or even worse....tiny bed. Small tanks. With a 34 gallon tank and a smaller RV like yours one can get in to most gas stations so it isn't so important to plan in advance. If you're towing a larger RV with less mileage it is more important to plan in advance and stop considerably more often or risk the consequences.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 03:47 PM   #20
Badbart56

I haven't owned a gas truck since my old 89 C2500. It had to work too hard with that 5.7 and 5 speed manual transmission. Gas is fine if you never have to tow anything. Yeah it'll probably get the job done, but it's like apples and oranges with todays diesels.

Ford's latest 6.7 makes 475 hp and 1050 ft/lbs torque. No gasser can compete with that. Not even close.

I wish I didn't have all this horsepower and torque.....said no one ever! It's a blast to drive even if you don't need it!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote