Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #21
Roper46

My Ram is still under warranty, plus I purchased the extended warranty. Never dealt with diesel engines before, but I will learn.

When I was younger and raising two girls I did all the work under the hood of my '67 Mustang and then my '72 Chevelle. But now I can afford to let someone younger get dirty and covered in oil.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:57 PM   #22
travelin texans

When younger I did all the maintenance on all my vehicles as well as my in-laws, but since older after I lay under one I'm dizzy & have difficulty getting up. I still enjoy doing whatever I can do from above & don't mind getting dirty.
Fortunately now I can afford to pay someone else younger to crawl around underneath to do those projects.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 01:37 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with Danny (TT). Used to really love doing mtce., tearing them down and tearing them up but those days seem to have gone south. If I try to do those things it takes me longer to try to get down then get up than doing the work plus, since it is that difficult DW is always there to bring me what I need or forgot...a real pain; and then, if it's right in my face I can't see it
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:10 PM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Agree with Danny above. I have glasses for reading and with progressive lenses I still struggle to get my eyeballs aligned properly to see. It's frustrating as I've got a garage full of tools, knowledge enough to do most jobs but the body protests. I recently changed the oil and filters in the deisel because I enjoy it and I can take my time.

After the sixth cervical spine surgery (7 total plus 3 on the left shoulder and 2 on the left arm) I had to canceed that I just can't do some things any longer. In the past when I was able to do more work I would have the dealer perform all maintenance including oil changes while the vehichle was still in warranty. My thought ptocess was that the dealer had all the records and was the sole serhice provider so it would remove any excuse if a warranty issue arises.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:41 PM   #25
Gegrad

Dealing with the used oil after an oil change is a snap here... just take your collection tank into any local AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilley's, etc and dump it into their 350-gallon steel tote. Do the auto parts stores around your parts not have that? They have everywhere I have lived in y adult life (TN, NC, PA).
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
Dealing with the used oil after an oil change is a snap here... just take your collection tank into any local AutoZone, Advance, O'Reilley's, etc and dump it into their 350-gallon steel tote. Do the auto parts stores around your parts not have that? They have everywhere I have lived in y adult life (TN, NC, PA).

We have an Auto Zone and Oreilly's but neither has a dump for oil. For several years (back when I did mtce. on our 3 cars, my 4x4s and my MILs car) our water conservation district placed several collection containers around town which made disposal easy. They removed them and then disposal got to be a PITA.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:17 PM   #27
wiredgeorge

No way will I work on my wife's car or my truck. I work on motorcycle carburetors all day long and that fills my need for dirt under my fingernails. I just take my truck to my mechanic and let him go to it. Not that I can't but why take 11 hours to do one hour's labor for a pro?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 04:44 PM   #28
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We have an Auto Zone and Oreilly's but neither has a dump for oil. For several years (back when I did mtce. on our 3 cars, my 4x4s and my MILs car) our water conservation district placed several collection containers around town which made disposal easy. They removed them and then disposal got to be a PITA.
Oh that stinks Danny. They always had the collection totes in Waco growing up. Haven't asked my dad recently, but he gets his done at the dealer. They sell him a pack of 4 or 5 oil changes for less than the cost of the oil and filter.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:25 PM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Oh that stinks Danny. They always had the collection totes in Waco growing up. Haven't asked my dad recently, but he gets his done at the dealer. They sell him a pack of 4 or 5 oil changes for less than the cost of the oil and filter.

I had mine done at the dealer. They changed hands and I took it in and they did their work and brought it home (I was stupid). Put it in the garage and saw the light shining down the driver side rear quarter panel and the whole thing was pushed in; someone had bumped into it, pushed something into it or something. I was really PO'd. Called the "service manager?" and took it back to show them. Nah, it wasn't like that when it left there.... Last time I darkened their door. They have changed hands twice since then so may be better. I always like a dealer doing the work and documenting it but not like that. Might try them again now that they've again changed hands - last 2 weeks.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:50 PM   #30
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I had mine done at the dealer. They changed hands and I took it in and they did their work and brought it home (I was stupid). Put it in the garage and saw the light shining down the driver side rear quarter panel and the whole thing was pushed in; someone had bumped into it, pushed something into it or something. I was really PO'd. Called the "service manager?" and took it back to show them. Nah, it wasn't like that when it left there.... Last time I darkened their door. They have changed hands twice since then so may be better. I always like a dealer doing the work and documenting it but not like that. Might try them again now that they've again changed hands - last 2 weeks.
Oh man, that's a terrible experience. I have not had anything like that happen to me, fortunately.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #31
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Michigan has a "oil recovery program" that includes nearly every WalMart, auto parts store and many auto service centers will accept used oil. It's not a problem finding a place to turn it in. My issue is having 15 quarts of used diesel oil in a 16 quart bucket, trying to pour it into those 5 quart oil containers without pouring more on the garage floor than in the container... Then, a trip to town with 3 containers of oil and a leaking oil filter all sitting in a cardboard box so the "spilled oil doesn't get in the truck bed... Then, when I get to WalMart, I have to take that box into the service entrance, but not inside the store, go in, sign the register certifying how much oil I've reclaimed and then head to the restroom to wash my hands before getting back in the truck to head home....

Once I get home, it's an hour with "speedi-sorb" sweeping the garage floor, then finding a place that will accept the "oil contaminated clay"... There are none around here, so it's either dump it behind the pole barn or "sneak it into a dumpster" at Tractor Supply or Family Farm and Home.....

So, my "solution" is simple... Just stop by Ford when the oil change is due and read a magazine or walk the lot while they handle all the hassle....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:43 PM   #32
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Michigan has a "oil recovery program" that includes nearly every WalMart, auto parts store and many auto service centers will accept used oil. It's not a problem finding a place to turn it in. My issue is having 15 quarts of used diesel oil in a 16 quart bucket, trying to pour it into those 5 quart oil containers without pouring more on the garage floor than in the container... Then, a trip to town with 3 containers of oil and a leaking oil filter all sitting in a cardboard box so the "spilled oil doesn't get in the truck bed... Then, when I get to WalMart, I have to take that box into the service entrance, but not inside the store, go in, sign the register certifying how much oil I've reclaimed and then head to the restroom to wash my hands before getting back in the truck to head home....

Once I get home, it's an hour with "speedi-sorb" sweeping the garage floor, then finding a place that will accept the "oil contaminated clay"... There are none around here, so it's either dump it behind the pole barn or "sneak it into a dumpster" at Tractor Supply or Family Farm and Home.....

So, my "solution" is simple... Just stop by Ford when the oil change is due and read a magazine or walk the lot while they handle all the hassle....
Fair enough... I only have 6 quarts at a time, so my 15 quart oil pan is more than adequate, and it seals up for easy transportation. I also don't tend to spill any, so I don't have to put out a bunch of absorbent. The few drops I do have I wipe up with a towel as best I can (done on concrete) and let the rest be, ha. But yeah, if I had that situation I probably would do what you do too!
Old 08-31-2021, 08:18 PM   #33
rhagfo

Quote:

Just asking what is the recommended oil change mileage on the Ford 6.7? What is the dealer charge for the change?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 09:37 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Just asking what is the recommended oil change mileage on the Ford 6.7? What is the dealer charge for the change?
Normal Service: 7500-10000 miles
Severe Service: 5000-7500
Extreme Service: 3000-5000

There is an "oil monitor program" in the CPU that monitors specific engine criteria to determine the variety of service and gives a "maintenance notice" when to change the oil. I've been told that happens based on the amount of miles/temperature/towing stress/idling that the engine is subjected to. People who use that system say it calls for an oil change about every 10K miles.

I change my oil at the Ford dealership every 5000 miles. If we are on a trip, I change it at a dealership as close to 5K as possible, but only if we're going to be in that area for a couple of days. I subscribe to the belief that an engine should not be "run hard" immediately after an oil change, but should be given about 100 miles for the "oil to set"... Whether that's true or not, IDK, but it's my "feel good regimen". Plus, it gives me a few miles to make sure an "unknown at a dealership didn't mess something up.

At the local Ford dealership, it's $95 plus tax. At most, the "quick lane oil change" is anywhere from $95-$139. It's usually more expensive in highly populated areas or at busy dealerships.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-01-2021, 07:42 AM   #35
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

I change my oil at the Ford dealership every 5000 miles. If we are on a trip, I change it at a dealership as close to 5K as possible, but only if we're going to be in that area for a couple of days. I subscribe to the belief that an engine should not be "run hard" immediately after an oil change, but should be given about 100 miles for the "oil to set"... Whether that's true or not, IDK, but it's my "feel good regimen". Plus, it gives me a few miles to make sure an "unknown at a dealership didn't mess something up.

At the local Ford dealership, it's $95 plus tax. At most, the "quick lane oil change" is anywhere from $95-$139. It's usually more expensive in highly populated areas or at busy dealerships.

^^^I learned my lesson on the above a long time ago.

Memorial Day coming up and I had a camping (tents with friends) trip set up. The day before we left I had DW take it in while I was at work and have the oil changed as well as the xfer case (had to check the xfer case by pulling the plug and sticking your finger in the hole). It was all done, SUV loaded inside and out (roof rack was nicely loaded. Took off for the mountains (5hrs away) ready for some cool air and fun. About 15 miles out the tranny began making a little noise but not too bad so kept going. At about 25 miles that "little noise" got very loud, I shut it down to get to the side of the road but before I got stopped the tranny/xfer case made a noise that went from a low growl to a high shriek and popped.....and I coasted to a nice stop.

Long story short, spent the weekend trying to get the SUV towed to a dealership. When they tore it down (tranny and xfer case were one unit) they found there as no oil in it - just a few drops. I took that up with the folks that did the work and they paid for it ($5200). Seems the "pro" that did the xfer case put a small amount of fluid in the xfer case, stuck his finger in the hole and got "oil on his finger" not realizing there was a rim right under the hole so called it good. As I told them; I can't fathom thinking a xfer case that requires 6 quarts is full after you've put 1/4 quart in???

Anyway, back to John's point; needless to say I don't/won't have any fluids changed while enroute on a trip or just before leaving - I like that "feel good" feeling too - the flip side is just too ugly.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:37 AM   #36
ChuckS

Been doing my own work for over 50 plus years... Only thing I dont do on the Duramax is rotate and balance tires... Oil and filter, shocks, brakes ( still OEM original on my 2007 GMC) Diff and transfer case fluid change,etc...

I do not trust the local oil change places .. just me... Perhaps there will come a day I can physically do the work but for now still do it all...

Also maintain my RV, motorcycles, riding mower, etc... These older eyes and hands can still do the work and I know its done right..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:51 AM   #37
xrated

I'll be honest, I've never enjoyed working on cars or trucks, but have done so during the course of my lifetime. It's mostly the minor stuff like oil and filter changes, fuel filters on the diesel truck and other minor stuff. I recently bought the coolant test kit for my Ford truck to see whether or not it needed the coolant system additive that is necessary to Ford's twin coolant system, and it didn't.

I've worked on motorcycles almost every since I've owned and ridden them. For some strange reason, I somewhat enjoyed that.....but not cars or trucks.

I recently did an airbag install on my F350 Dually and since it was the second airbag install that I've done, this one went smoother than the first one, but still somewhat a pain in the tush. As I've gotten older, I have even less desire to crawl around on the ground working on vehicles. But, I still struggle with paying someone to do something that I know I am capable of doing....or at least in my mind "was" capable of doing as a younger man.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
... But, I still struggle with paying someone to do something that I know I am capable of doing....or at least in my mind "was" capable of doing as a younger man.
I struggle with the bolded part almost every day. I still enjoy the "solitude" of being on a creeper under a truck and today's trucks have enough clearance that it's actually comfortable under there... My fifth wheel has even more clearance than the truck, so taking a nap under the trailer is not just a "remote possibility"... That said, the "mentality of giving up my independence to a younger mechanic" is the part I struggle with more than anything else in the decision making process... At my age, it takes me longer to do a job, but the biggest hurdle, at least for me, is how much longer it takes to "recover" from the physical challenges of "overworking"...It often hurts more the next day than it does while doing the job.. LOL

About 5 or 6 years ago, I was "sliding off the roof of my trailer (like I'd always done) rather than use the ladder. "Just jump off, it's easier and faster"... On the way down, in that half second that I was in the air, my mind "flew through the possibilities" and I came to the conclusion that I'm getting too old to do this..... The potential to break an ankle, twist a knee or worse were all images I saw in that half second or airtime.... Since then, I've used the ladder to get off the roof. That's just one of the "concessions" I've made through the years, but I'm not about to "concede my youth to someone younger," at least not quite yet.....

But, yeah, sometimes it's not as much fun to do the dirty work as it is to just crawl under there and look at things and watch the rust form... LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 09-02-2021, 11:17 AM   #39
xrated

John, I agree with almost everything you said........not withstanding the sliding off the roof....Nope, ain't gonna happen for me.

And you hit the nail on the head with the recovery time after doing the work. Earlier this spring, in May, I ripped all of deck boards off of our 16' x 24' wooden deck....plus the steps leading up to it. I had some work to do on some of the joists also, then my wife and I began the process of installing new Trex decking on the entire deck....plus of course the steps. Fortunately, the deck is only about 2' off of the ground, so I could actually stand on the ground and cross over the joists as I was fastening the Trex boards down. From start to finish was about a week and if I'm not mistaken, the stock price of Ibuprofin went up about that time. By the end of the day....everyday....I could barely walk into the house and head for the shower, but a hot shower and some Ibuprofin and a good nights sleep, and I was back out there the next day at it again.

Pretty happy with the results though.....
Started out with this....

Then it went to this.....

And finished with this.....

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #40
wiredgeorge

Wow, that looks like a really uncomfortable job! I like the Trek but was concerned when I built out deck that the stuff gets real hot and retains that heat so bare feet and puppy feet would be scorched. It does look great and likely holds up a lot better than pressure treated lumber.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, tow, tow vehicle