Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
jasin1

New rv material shortages

It really is staggering how many different industries are facing product shortages…doesn’t seem like there will be two identical same model trailers on a lot…the manufacturers are having to go to yard sales and hardware stores to finish the trailers..and what John and a few others have pointed out…the fine print, substituting parts at the manufacturers discretion …crazy times

Old 08-28-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

My 19’ awning was damaged in storage over the winter by an incompetent idiot trying to squeeze a 45’ 5er into the garage bay next to mine. I ordered a replacement April 14th. As of today it still hasn’t arrived and the “anticipated” ship date is now September 28th. I just might get it just in time to put the trailer back in storage!
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Yeah, I can see it now; I go in and order a new Montana, wait several months and they tell me to come get it. I pull in and not a Montana in sight so the salesman takes me around back to my new trailer - a small bumper pull with mismatched wheels, hatch doors etc. but with a nice Montana decal on the front.... Yep, they ran out of frames, tires, wheels and body panels for a Montana and just had to substitute on the fly.... I wonder just how far those disclaimers can go?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 02:18 PM   #4
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Yeah, I can see it now; I go in and order a new Montana, wait several months and they tell me to come get it. I pull in and not a Montana in sight so the salesman takes me around back to my new trailer - a small bumper pull with mismatched wheels, hatch doors etc. but with a nice Montana decal on the front.... Yep, they ran out of frames, tires, wheels and body panels for a Montana and just had to substitute on the fly.... I wonder just how far those disclaimers can go?
….(you) “ where’s my Montana?” ………..(salesman) “ the Montana is not restricted to one particular design ”…it’s more like a vision..a way of life… ….and today this is our vision …can’t say what tomorrow’s will look like …it’s constantly evolving”
Old 11-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

I was just notified that my replacement awning has shipped from Lippert in Indiana. I am tracking it and it should be here early next week, almost 7 months to the day after I ordered it. The camper is in storage for the winter now so looks like I will have to wait until April to see if they got the order right!
Old 11-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #6
NH_Bulldog

Quick update; the Lippert 19 ft. awning and roller tube arrived yesterday! I did a good inspection and it made the trip intact! 7 months to get it, but it is an exact replacement for my original. With all the reported material shortages and manufacturers using whatever they could get their hands on at the moment, I feel lucky!
Old 11-13-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
German Shepherd Guy

Congratulations.

I have been living with an awning I dinged as it seems to replace is more trouble than making do.

Glad yours worked out.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Yes, "consider yourself lucky"....

I tried to buy two replacement axles for my trailer from Keystone... They won't sell to me or to the dealership. Everything they have on hand and on order is dedicated to the assembly line. Order aftermarket...

I tried Lippert. They don't sell axles to individuals, try the dealer. The dealer tried to order them, Lippert doesn't manufacture that specific "spring hanger/hub face measurement" any longer and they do not special order two axles to be custom manufactured... They'd be happy to manufacture a "run of axles" built to those measurements, but not "just two"...

I tried TK axles, they would build them, at a cost overrun of 100% for custom manufacturing, but only would warranty them for 1 year (not the usual 6 years)

I tried Dexter, they don't sell to customers, try your local dealer. I tried the local dealer, he couldn't order them, but could get an aftermarket axle with no warranty, but "he would warranty them for 90 days" at almost double the Dexter price.

I tried several "axle/suspension shops" only a couple would even consider working on an RV. There's apparently much more money in axles on commercial truck/trailers.

I called a couple of "specialty shops that cater to RV axle/brake conversions". None have installers in this area, but would be happy to replace my axles if I bring it to an area where they have installers. (closest about 800 miles away).

I finally ordered two Dexter axles to be manufactured to my specifications by an axle shop in Texas. They have a 10-12 week delivery time (backlogged work I suppose) and other than the shipping, the axles are the same price as Dexter charges at their "factory outlet" (where the axles are not available to the public)....

I started this in July, finally got the parts on order the same day as our first snow, so when the axles get here in January/February (6-7 months after I first tried to order them)......

If just trying to get an awning or a couple of axles is this difficult, imagine what ordering all the parts for an RV assembly line must be like.... I'd suspect there's a growing number of high blood pressure cases being seen around the Elkhart/Goshen area every day !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 10:32 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Back in Sept. a freak storm took our awning. The independent shop said it would be months getting a replacement Dometic. I agreed to have them replace it with a Carefree which he ordered and received in 3 weeks. I figured it'll likely last us as long as we keep the trailer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:05 AM   #10
A_Ringuette

Well I ordered a Bullet in March and still haven't received it 😥 I'm getting worried that I won't get it for April 2022
A_Ringuette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:14 AM   #11
RickV

I went over to Jacksonville yesterday drove past a few RV dealerships. If there is a RV shortage it wasn't at these dealers. Their lot were packed.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #12
jamtracy

And it seems what is being produced is more junk than previous models.
I've had my Avalanche for 3 years now. No major issues. But on the Avalanche page on FB lots of 21 and 22 models are having major issues. My gut tells me this is not the right time to buy a new RV. But who knows when that will be again.
jamtracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 05:15 AM   #13
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamtracy View Post
And it seems what is being produced is more junk than previous models.
I've had my Avalanche for 3 years now. No major issues. But on the Avalanche page on FB lots of 21 and 22 models are having major issues. My gut tells me this is not the right time to buy a new RV. But who knows when that will be again.
When picking up the cover we bought for our ‘17 bumper pull toy hauler, we looked at 4 or 5 ‘two axle 5th wheel, toyhaulers’ they had in stock. The ones 2019 and newer looked substantially lower quality and for used trailers looked like the were wearing exceptionally hard. Kitchen tables with thin paint that were showing surface wear in 1-2 years service, pivoting seats on an island that used to be steel were painted particleboard.

Then there was the 05 that looked like it did double duty as a roadside diner, the slide that had the booth table had…another booth and a half added. The garage had obviously been converted to horizontal storage for a buncha monkeys.

Made us think maybe we should hold on to ours a bit longer.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote