Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2021, 02:44 AM   #21
notanlines

Justin, sometimes I think about where the world is going with the e-bikes and I am convinced it will be simply an electric bicycle not requiring a license to ride nor tags to have on the streets. With top speeds of the higher end bikes getting faster and the ride longer, where does it stop? Should e-bikes be allowed on hiking trails? Or visa-versa?
We already have these trash scooters crowding the streets at 25 MPH all over the downtown tourist areas, all being rented by the hour. No tags, no license required and causing a lot of grief. Is this the direction walking paths are headed?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 05:01 AM   #22
flybouy
Site Team

Jim it never seems to change but get rather get worse with the ills of society. Remeber the first "motorized bikes" and "mini bikes"? Great idea until A-holes began running them on the roads, running people down, hitting cars, etc. With no liscensing or laws the cops would shrug their shoulders as they were helpless. Then remember the "ultralight aircraft"? I flew out of MTN in Middle River, MD and when thet craze caught on it was like watching a bee hive with some of the jerks flying around the south end of the runway. That whent on for several years before the FFA finally made folfks take flying lessons and solo before getting certified.

No matter what it is, some selfish bunch of folks will come along and muck it up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:54 AM   #23
Javi

Camped at the Lake Whitney State Park this weekend and seen several of the E-BIKES and even a couple of the scooter board thingies with two wheels you stand on...

I swear my first thought was... when is open season and is there a bag limit on them things..
Old 04-13-2021, 07:57 AM   #24
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

... even a couple of the scooter board thingies with two wheels you stand on...

I swear my first thought was... when is open season and is there a bag limit on them things..
Where can I buy a tag, and are they good out of state? 😁😁😁
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 AM   #25
travelin texans

The same could be said for plain old pedal bicycles.
They are required to obey the same traffic laws as motor vehicles, but just about everyday I witness at least one running stop signs or traffic lights, crossing intersections at 45 degree angles in front of oncoming traffic or riding on very busy street or highway when 5' away is a very nice, usually empty, 8-10' wide hike/bike trail that starts/stops in the same place as the road.
Those of us that have a license to ride motorcycles had to pass a written & driving test, at least in Texas, before receiving that license, I feel bicycles & e bikes should also at least have to pass some sort of safety class before being able to purchase either.
We live in a rv resort where the speed limit is 10mph, unless you're on a bicycle or e bike then it's however fast you can go, so stay alert for them, they come out if no where.. A good many of them are riding after dark with a very small light shining forward wearing all black clothing, makes them very hard to see when they're barreling down the streets.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

I agree on all of the above. Bicyclists (haven't seen an e bike yet) on the highways acting without a care in the world and always in the wrong place is one of my greatest pet peeves. Just recently got stuck behind 2 on a rural FL highway (yes it is a beautiful drive), speed limit 55 and traffic non stop. The 2 rode side by side taking up approx. 1/2 of the driving lane with their little red tail lights flashing, there was no shoulder of any kind. Rode along about 10mph as I, and about a dozen other cars, puttered behind them for what seemed like forever. Ridiculous.

Our interest in e bikes is for one thing; the established new paths (still building them) in coastal FL (Big Bend area). These "paths" are paved, winding with beautiful scenery, at least 20' wide and very little to no traffic on them. The e bikes will be fine there. DW has wanted to ride those paths since they started building them and I have refused. After 4 knee replacements, 3 on the right knee along with a 3 month stint in a wheelchair due to NO knee as they tried to kill the infection in my leg, I do not want to get on a regular bicycle and have that thing crap out again in the middle of nowhere. Figure we'll get them, take a couple of years to ride all the trails and put them in the barn with all the other unused "stuff" collecting dust.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #27
Customer1

We have a Rad City and a Rad City stepthru. We tow a TT and the bikes ride in the truck bed. They serve us well and the company's customer service is second to none.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/
Old 04-18-2021, 07:29 AM   #28
Jay Pat

I would consider an "Air Saddle" for that ebike.
I know I would.
No experience with ebikes.

Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:30 AM   #29
jteigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Thought I would throw this out for some input.

We winter every year in a place that has miles and miles of beautiful paved paths going all over for walkers and bicyclists. This trip while we were there and on the return saw more and more folks with electric bicycles. DW has wanted to ride those paths but I'm not a big fan of getting on a bicycle and riding 20 miles then have to get back with my knees - they quit when they want to and that's the end of that. Then I saw these things.

Does anyone have any of these? I'm looking at 2 of them. Seems there are 3 classes and I'm looking at a class 3. Not really sure about them but the advertise 30-50 miles and in the test reviews they seemed to average about that. Just don't want to spend 1800 per bike and put them in the barn with the other, brand new, bicycles.

Also, if you have them how do you transport them? Looks like the weight is about 62-63lbs per bike. I was thinking out of the 2" receiver on the back of the trailer but that would have to be reinforced and I would then be forced to install a rear camera because I'm not putting that much stuff back there without being able to see it.....I've seen what happens to quite a few folks when they "can't see what's back there".

Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. DW wants to ride those trails in the greatest way and I seem to be the roadblock so looking at possibilities.

We have two of them and LOVE them! We have a fifth wheel. We put them on the back of the trailer for one short trip. Don't do that! They move all over the place and I'm sure they would have ripped the bumper off. Back of the truck was an option but not for long because they are heavy. Went with option C and installed a hitch to the front of the truck and put a bike rack there. Just can't drive in the dark with them there because one headlight is partially blocked but we rarely drive that late anyway. Note: We bought folding e-bikes so they're a bit smaller - thus the reason it works to have them up front. We ride them for miles on the coast when we go and we've purchased a spare battery so we can make more than one ride a day. Nope, we're not the skinny physically fit type either. ;-)
jteigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:21 AM   #30
speedster

We have two of the folding Fat Tire Ebikes and have had them for 5yrs. We take them with us in the 5 wheel where ever we go. They are both peddle assist and can also just use the battery. They are expensive but the frames are made out of Aluminum so only weight about 38lbs each. We've been folding them and putting them in the front Storage Compartment of our Montana 3790RD but recently traded the trailer in on a Montana 3120 and needed the front storage for other stuff. We purchased a rear RV bike rack & associate cover and this works great. The only down side is this method isn't as thief proof as locked away out of sight. We do put them inside the front storage once set up at a site though... 30 miles is about what you'd get if you don't use the peddle assist. We use peddle assist and only charge them about every two weeks if we are riding alot. Once s month if we only ride a few times...
speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #31
bbells

Build your own. You can do it for $300 to $500. Plus, you end up knowing how to fix it, and the parts are not proprietary. I like the hub drives. Most of mine are front hub drive for 2 reasons. 1) I go through a lot of mud and need the 2wd. 2) It is easier to change a flat. That being said, putting the ebike hub on the rear wheel survives rough roads better, has better traction, and probably lasts longer, but is a pita to change the tire. I always make a protector to put over the nut where the wires come out. Cost is less than $200 for the wheel and hub, and usually comes with the controller and display. The sw900 digital display is very nice to use and worth the few extra dollars. The battery is roughly $300. Get a battery with name brand cells in it. I like the lithium ion batteries. I have one triangular cased to fit between the bars. But, I have painted ammo cans on several bikes so i can move an uncased battery block from one bike to another. Get as big a battery as you can. I get 15ah to 20ah 52v batteries for a 48v bike. The 52v battery charges to 58.6 volts. Most 48v bikes can take up to 60v. Do not even consider 36v ebikes. Not enough power. My fat tire is a cheap mongoose, $200. I like it because the front fork is steel, not soft aluminum. Easy project to convert a bike. Skill level out of 5 is about a 2 or 3. Skip the lipo batteries they are a pita. I have built 7 ebikes so far. I find ebikeling.com to be trustworthy. PM me if you want better instructions. Oh,a 20ah battery will take you over 60 miles if you pedal sometimes. Can't guarantee your butt can go 60 miles.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:08 AM   #32
DennisD

I have 2 Lectric ebikes for me and DW. We haven’t traveled with them yet but will be in a few weeks. In 6 months I have put almost 800 miles on mine and rode it on local streets and trails through a Chicago winter. These are a great addition to getting some exercise and being able to ride trails wherever we go. The classes refer to pedal assist only (1), pedal assist and throttle available (2), speed limited to 20 mph max with motor useage before it shuts off. You can go faster but won’t have the motor. (3) raises the motor cutoff level to 28 mph. However unless you are a flyweight it will require pedaling to get there. The Lectric bikes and others generally are classified class 2 as that allows using them where regular bikes are permitted. Class three have restrictions on where they can be used such as not on multiuse trails for walking and biking and horses. Lectric bikes can be unlocked from the control panel to a 3, but technically you have just restricted your use areas. Look up the federal register for ebikes. Local governments can also restrict ebike usage areas. This bike area is evolving and needs to be monitored.
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:11 AM   #33
Ccrew

We have 2 Pedego Elements, on a Thule T2Pro on a front mount hitch. We take them everywhere. Be careful buying Class 3 bikes, many are banned in places with Class 2 max allowed.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 10:15 AM   #34
DennisD

I forgot, take any distance claims as maximum under perfect conditions - no wind, no hills, you must be under 180lbs, and a strong pedaler. I can get about 35 miles under a blend of conditions, plus older, way over 180. I wouldn’t go back to a regular bike at all. Theses are just too much fun.
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #35
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteigen View Post
We have two of them and LOVE them! We have a fifth wheel. We put them on the back of the trailer for one short trip. Don't do that! They move all over the place and I'm sure they would have ripped the bumper off. Back of the truck was an option but not for long because they are heavy. Went with option C and installed a hitch to the front of the truck and put a bike rack there. Just can't drive in the dark with them there because one headlight is partially blocked but we rarely drive that late anyway. Note: We bought folding e-bikes so they're a bit smaller - thus the reason it works to have them up front. We ride them for miles on the coast when we go and we've purchased a spare battery so we can make more than one ride a day. Nope, we're not the skinny physically fit type either. ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
We have two of the folding Fat Tire Ebikes and have had them for 5yrs. We take them with us in the 5 wheel where ever we go. They are both peddle assist and can also just use the battery. They are expensive but the frames are made out of Aluminum so only weight about 38lbs each. We've been folding them and putting them in the front Storage Compartment of our Montana 3790RD but recently traded the trailer in on a Montana 3120 and needed the front storage for other stuff. We purchased a rear RV bike rack & associate cover and this works great. The only down side is this method isn't as thief proof as locked away out of sight. We do put them inside the front storage once set up at a site though... 30 miles is about what you'd get if you don't use the peddle assist. We use peddle assist and only charge them about every two weeks if we are riding alot. Once s month if we only ride a few times...
What brand of bikes do you each have? That would be helpful since you gave such good reviews..I appreciate it ..thanks
Old 04-18-2021, 12:28 PM   #36
whholder

We bought 2 from Lectric Bikes. Very pleased with performance and comfort. If using pedal assist as opposed to throttle only we get about 40 miles between charges. Many good reviews and video on youtube. Research for about two months before deciding this was the best value matched to quality.
whholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #37
Gunny Mike

We have three pedego bikes that we take with us and just put them in the back of the F250. One is a trike which is great for making runs for wood or water. We also use it for fishing and put in our folding chairs and extra stuff in one of those fold up wagons and tow it behind the trike.. Was going to try to tow our turd tank behind it this year versus using the truck hitch. When they say use a good lock, we use multiple locks on our bikes and not the cheap ones either. We also have GPS trackers on them. Remove the battery when its locked up.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #38
brodavefla

Shopping them for DW, so she can keep up with me

I'm not familiar with the Ride1Up brand. That's one of the challenges in this space, that the e-bike offerings of the name brands like Trek etc. are VERY pricey, and there are a lot of new players in the e-bike market.

Truth be told I'm as much concerned about getting a decent rack as I am about getting the e-bike. I suppose I'll get a hitch installed on my TT--I looked at a rack or two that would clamp onto the trailer tongue but they're not rated for that kinda weight. I may also favor a rack that has a ramp, as 60-plus lb is a lot to pick up and maneuver onto a small platform these days. I'm sure not throwing it into the back of my high ground clearance F250
brodavefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:16 PM   #39
Jim Aitken

Removable batteries are a good feature because this reduces weight on the bike rack, and maybe makes the bikes slightly less attractive to theives.
Jim Aitken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 09:34 PM   #40
Kodt

As an ex park worker i will say look into your favorite places rules about ebikes. In the area i worked class 2 could drive on the paved roads but not the trails and class 3 not allowed at all. Class 1s though could go anywhere in the area.

But I've road the class 1s as you can rent them at the beach town I lived near. They are extremely fun, but you do have to pedal.
Kodt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike