Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #1
DominickP53

How to keep pipes from freezing when Winter camping

If I were to get a sudden urge to try winter camping, how do you keep pipes from freezing. The under belly of my Cougar is not insulated that I’m aware of. Do you do the same as in a house and let faucets drip, and risk losing valuable water? Looking forward to hearing from experienced winter warriors. Thanks Dom
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:12 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Letting water "drip at each faucet" will cause more problems than it solves. First, you'll be filling the holding tanks while emptying the fresh water tank. If you "try to avoid that problem" by opening the tank drain valves, you'll freeze your sewer hose as the "dripping faucet water" slowly fills the sewer hose and then effectively closes the holding tank valves (a couple feet from the valves). That is, until you run out of fresh water in the tank... If you "try to avoid that problem" by connecting a hose to the city water inlet, that hose will freeze, shutting off water flow to the trailer, possibly freeze and damage the faucet to which you connected the hose and the city water connection on the trailer.... If you try to avoid that by outsmarting the system by using a heated hose that won't freeze, go back to the sewer hose freezing or the holding tanks filling and you start all over again.....

The easiest way to "cold weather camp" is to leave the trailer winterized and use the campground facilities for any water needs. If that's not a workable solution, in "not terribly cold weather" the trailer systems will probably be OK, if you use the fresh water tank, leave the cabinet doors open (so warm air can get to the plumbing runs) and use the furnace to heat the trailer (there is residual heat radiating from the furnace ducting into the space around plumbing runs in the belly).

Most "relatively new trailers" are equipped to camp "self contained" with no outside plumbing connections, down to around 20F. Below that, a winterized trailer can be a "warm, hard-side tent" where you can be comfortable and sleep well. Either a portable toilet and a couple gallons of fresh water from WalMart or campground facilities can provide the necessary "plumbing needs".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #3
DominickP53

John, Thank you for your valuable insight. I like the idea of keeping the RV winterized and making sure there are outside options for bathroom and shower needs at our destination.
Just out of curiosity, is it a good idea to have a backup water pump in the RV? They aren't that expensive. But I was thinking. If I got somewhere with the family and the WP quit working. That would not be good. What do you think? Thanks again.
DominickP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
wiredgeorge

I have camped where the temps went below freezing and used my water tank and kept my dump valves closed. My water hose froze solid as it was connected to city water and I learned to use the on board water and pump. Keep your propane tanks full as well. They do sell heated water hoses. I camp in South Texas so temps generally get over freezing during the day.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Dominick,

The FloJet and ShurFlo water pumps are probably two of the most reliable components in your trailer. Almost every problem I've encountered with a water pump has been caused by trash (usually plastic drill shards) sucked into the pump diaphragm from the fresh water tank. The factory does a TERRIBLE job of cleaning out the tank after they drill holes to "spin weld" or glue the fittings in place.

IMO, the most beneficial thing you can do for your water pump is to install a filter/strainer screen on the pump inlet. If you have a FloJet pump, they are about $10 at Amazon (they were $7 two weeks ago) and take longer to get the strainer out of the package than to install for most trailers. If you have a ShurFlo pump, they work the same way, but have different fittings. The strainers are not interchangeable, so make sure which brand pump you have before ordering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FLOJET PUMP STRAINER.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	37314  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-07-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
whholder

cold weather camping

Keystone Outback 2018 29UBH. Cold weather package. Planning on heading to "warmer" climes this winter (Jan and Feb). Overnight temps will drop into middle 20s. Daytime should stay in high 40 to 50 range. Will be in an full hookup park. My plan was to fill fresh water tank, then bring my hose inside, so don't have to worry about freezing. This will be my first excursion in the winter. Open cabinets at night to help keep pipes warm. Any other tips for this newbie?
whholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

If daytime temps are that high I wouldn’t drag the water hose inside. Unhook it, drain it then put it back on with the faucet turbed off.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:14 AM   #8
travelin texans

Be sure to run the furnace, especially at night, rather than a portable electric heater, the furnace typically has a small duct running to the underbelly to aid in warming the water lines.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll find (after the first night) that condensation and humidity will be an issue. If you have a range hood that vents outside, use it when cooking. ALWAYS open a window and the turn on the fan in the bathroom roof vent when showering. That "open window/vent fan will create enough airflow to help prevent rain from forming on the bathroom ceiling. You'll see what I mean after the first shower.

If you have "refrigerator performance issues" while still in the "below freezing temps" don't panic. The refrigerator "gas burner" is barely the size of an old "pilot light flame". When it's extremely cold, there's just not enough heat being produced to "boil the refrigerant" so the refrigerator interior will seem "warmer than normal" and ice cream/ice cubes may melt. Once you get to a warmer climate, the refrigerator performance should improve/return to normal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-07-2021, 02:28 PM   #10
dutchmensport

I like the comment above about using your trailer like a hard sided tent. Why? Because that is exactly how we do it.

We carry 6 gallon water containers for our fresh water needs. Heat water on the stove top with propane. We keep a port-a-potty in the bathroom (identicdal to this one - click here) we dump in a pit toilet or just down the campground drain at the dump station. A small bit of water to rinse out the port-a-potty, and a little bit of bleach water to start off the next round for the next 24 hours.

The camper is 100% winterized, I even remove the p-trap under the kitchen sink. We place tubs in the sinks to catch any "oops-forgot ... no water down the drain" moments.

Wash dishes, and toss the water outside on the ground. hey, we are the only one in the entire campground! Who's gonna see it.... or better yet, pour it in the fire pit.

Of course, Indiana State Parks keep the power on all winter, so electricity is no issue. But all the water is turned off in the park, including bath houses. So, selecting campgrounds that still have pit toilets and camping a couple hundred feet from the pit toilet is a plus. And again ... hey! It's winter ... it cold, there are no smells, and no one else is in the campground but us.

We usually do week-ends or 3-4 day weeks ends when we do this. But the last few years, we've just headed to Alabama, Georgia, or Northern Florida where things don't freeze up so much.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:52 PM   #11
whholder

trailer skirt?

I see several options for vinyl skirt for around the RV. I thinking I am not in a cold enough area to justify that. Anyone have any experience with temporary skirting?
whholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by whholder View Post
I see several options for vinyl skirt for around the RV. I thinking I am not in a cold enough area to justify that. Anyone have any experience with temporary skirting?
I guess that depends on what area you are in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I guess that depends on what area you are in.
He is in the town of "XXX". Doesn't everyone know where that is? whholder, Go to the UserCP and put together a signature and where it says city or town, type city plus two letter state abbreviation and add in your year, make and model of camper and same for truck. It would be a kindness. Folks considering answering your questions don't know if you live at the North Pole or on the Equator.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:53 AM   #14
notanlines

Good advice on filling in the information of where you're from and what your equipment is. One more thing: If night time temps are only 20 degrees or above then simply get a heated water hose. No need to go through all that crap of unhooking, draining, rehook, etc. If you were to do that, all the regulars in the RV park will gather, drink beer, and laugh behind your back while you're going through this ritual! Life is too short for all this baloney!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:24 AM   #15
dutchmensport

Skirting around your camper is a good idea ..... IF the camper sits stationary and never moves. However, if your camper actually travels, skirting can be a real pain in the neck, putting on, taking off to travel, putting back on when you return, taking off to travel......

People have used everything for skirting, from Styrofoam sheets, to plywood, to bails of hay, to cinder blocks. And then .... there are these things: Click here.

Tags
winter