Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2021, 05:17 AM   #1
Mic

Automatic Reset Circuit Breakers

Which do ppl run on a single battery 12VDC trailer

14VDC

https://www.amazon.com/Gloaso-Automa...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

or

12V-28V

https://www.amazon.com/RKURCK-12V-28...C%2CB08ZSJDVK6
Old 11-24-2021, 06:18 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

How about neither! It would help if you shared what you were wanting to use it for, fridge, lights, water pump, furnace.???? Why as well?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
Mic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
How about neither! It would help if you shared what you were wanting to use it for, fridge, lights, water pump, furnace.???? Why as well?
no immediate use right now...but to keep on hand incase I have issues on the road and am narrowing down a circuit and rather than have a box of every fuse
Old 11-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mic View Post
no immediate use right now...but to keep on hand incase I have issues on the road and am narrowing down a circuit and rather than have a box of every fuse
Then if it's for diagnostic purposes only then I see no advantage of one over the other. I know anything can happen but in all the decades of boating and camping I've never had a fuse blow. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe it's the age of our trailer. I read lots of complaints on new units about QC.

Bear in mind that if a fuse blows out it's because something went wrong and a resettable fuse may not help in finding the issue. I have helped many people find problems and typically it's from poorly installed aftermarket things like aux lights, stereos etc. If a circuit is grounded then repeatedly applying voltage will just cause more damage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 08:42 AM   #5
travelin texans

I would guess that those would be readily available at most any auto supply store or Batteries+ stores which for me would be a better option than box full of various breakers that may or may not be the correct one.
I'm with Marshall, I can't recall the last fuse I've replaced, but I'm certain it was my fault when hooking up some fog lights on my old truck about 30 years ago.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:43 PM   #6
ChuckS

Nope.. neither.. In over 45 years of various Rvs owned I have blown one 12 VDC fuse and it was my fault..

I do carry a standard box of ATC style fuses in 15 amp and 10 amp on the current fifth wheel I have.. they have been sitting in the drawer in the 5er for over 8 years..

I also carry.. and highly recommend you do this ...
.. a set of fuses for the converter.. they are 40 amp ones for my WFCO
.. a battery charger

Why the battery charger? If the converter fails your RV will soon be dead in the water because everything in it needs 12 volts DC and a battery or batteries wont last long..

The battery charger can be used as an alternative 12 volt DC power source to run everything including the furnace till you can get a new converter..

I helped out a young couple last year up in Montana with a brand new Airstream.. first time they had it out.. the converter was bad and I verified this for them with my MM.. the fuses were good and it had 120 volt power to it but it had failed...

With my charger they stayed their entire stay and called the dealer up and had an appt made to get it replaced when they got back home.. some 350 miles away..

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

If your diagnosing a circuit, you can use one of these

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-amp...ter-67724.html

I have one, and have used it several times.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 08:49 AM   #8
gearhead

Battery chargers have gotten smarter. Check the one you intend to travel with. I had one that would charge for only 6 hours. Then it would make the executive decision that the battery was damaged and would stop charging. Then it was a 60 mile round trip to Emporia Kansas to get a different one.....WalMart MAXX.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breakers