Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #21
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike&Sandy View Post
And I'll be using the furrion camera system with the side cameras that apparently nobody uses.
I have them. I don't use them because the field of vision is distorted so badly. And unlike the back you'll be replacing them one day after the warranty date like 2 of mine. There's that.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:32 AM   #22
RVGator

My Sierra is a “short bed” @ 6’9”. I can get 90 degrees with the goosebox. I don’t plan on having to put the truck/trailer @ 90 degrees but the dealer insisted we try before I left. I think he was more curious than I was and we were both surprised at the outcome. I believe since GM moved the center point back some on the newer trucks and the shape of the front cap on my avalanche is the main driver. Either way, makes me happy since I went with the short bed truck.
20k Reese Goosebox
RVGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #23
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGator View Post
My Sierra is a “short bed” @ 6’9”. I can get 90 degrees with the goosebox. I don’t plan on having to put the truck/trailer @ 90 degrees but the dealer insisted we try before I left. I think he was more curious than I was and we were both surprised at the outcome. I believe since GM moved the center point back some on the newer trucks and the shape of the front cap on my avalanche is the main driver. Either way, makes me happy since I went with the short bed truck.
That statement is a bit concerning! Reminds me of the Life cereal commercial "let mikey try it"
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
That statement is a bit concerning! Reminds me of the Life cereal commercial "let mikey try it"
I remember that commercial all too well... In our house, it was "Give it to Johnny, if he likes it..." My DS always was the "taste tester"...

When you think about it, we all "more or less expect the dealer to be the "all knowing expert" in things around his business"... Truth is, when a dealer starts selling a product, he'll have customers come in for parts or repairs to their product and they, not the dealer will have significantly more experience with performance and even maintenance on "that new line we started carrying last year"... I've known dealers new to the Cougar line that didn't even know Keystone built a "full size Cougar travel trailer" several years ago and one that asked me if the Cougar XLite was a new model, not yet introduced....

So, it's not surprising to see a "curious dealer who doesn't know"... At least in this situation, now the dealer has "first hand knowledge on "goosebox backing angles". That has to be put in the "good thing" category.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #25
MotoDad293

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberDon View Post
I had the same problem with the cable stop, so I added one from the hardware store, shown. It hasn't budged since. And with over 30k miles on the goosebox, I would never use anything else.
That is AWESOME!!! Thank you! I am going to the specialty hardware store armed with this photo to get the same.
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #26
Lindyn

My 2022 GMC Denali, 3500HD DRW with Trailer Saver hitch, the Truck bed is longer than any GM Truck I have ever owned. The bed is 8' in length, thats inside the bed. The longest bed ever on a GM. I had a 2012 Chevy 3500HD, I deleted the OEM bed, had a CM hauler bed installed this was a great combination.

As for turning 90 degrees, I will not put my 5th wheel axles in that position, I have traveled thru and in 44 States, never have I had to put a set of dexter axles in a 90 degree turn. It is a choice, I just don't think 90 degrees turns are necessary. My opinion. Good Luck.

Happy trails.
Lindyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #27
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindyn View Post

As for turning 90 degrees, I will not put my 5th wheel axles in that position, I have traveled thru and in 44 States, never have I had to put a set of dexter axles in a 90 degree turn. It is a choice, I just don't think 90 degrees turns are necessary. My opinion. Good Luck.

Happy trails.
I get that. I see my axles and tires in all kinds of a weird geometry at 75-80°. I guess I'm not worried about making a 90° turn. But sometimes you need to jockey the truck a foot or two to miss something, before continuing on. I have an older smaller 5er without any cutouts whatsoever. Plus I have the super short bed F150 ecoboost. I cannot get a full 90°, even with my Pullrite. But it gets close. Just wondering if I can get that same range with either the goosebox or the Anderson. My Pullrite is HEAVY!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 04:26 PM   #28
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I get that. I see my axles and tires in all kinds of a weird geometry at 75-80°. I guess I'm not worried about making a 90° turn. But sometimes you need to jockey the truck a foot or two to miss something, before continuing on. I have an older smaller 5er without any cutouts whatsoever. Plus I have the super short bed F150 ecoboost. I cannot get a full 90°, even with my Pullrite. But it gets close. Just wondering if I can get that same range with either the goosebox or the Anderson. My Pullrite is HEAVY!

Not many folks pulling 10K plus gross weight fifth wheels with an F150. You must have a special one. What us your payload? Be safe!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:39 AM   #29
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Not many folks pulling 10K plus gross weight fifth wheels with an F150. You must have a special one. What us your payload? Be safe!
Oh no, it's not special. RV is about 8500lbs, and some of my thinking was flawed. The dealer was absolutely no help whatsoever. I will say I wasn't completely off base, but I'm over my payload. This rig started off with a very light pin weight. That why I thought we we're close enough when we bought it. My original thought was to use the Anderson Ultimate to save about 350lbs, but the bed is too short. So when I am towing, I'm at least 650-700 lbs over the factory spec payload. I added Timbrens, powerstop brakes and 10ply tires to help compensate. Plus I've had a CDL for the last 26 years so I just drive safe, load as correct as I can and know my limitations. But since now truck prices are off the chart stupid, I'm on hold. Once the market gets back to normal, I'm truck shopping. I will say in it's defense, my truck pull our camper beautifully. Now I know how people just don't realize they're overweight.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #30
wiredgeorge

I work on my property so don't really use my clunker Ford for anything but towing my fifth wheel which is about the same length as yours but mine is lighter I think. I would not be into camping if I had to spend the bucks for a new camper or truck. I bought a low mileage work truck for $7K a few years ago and have put about $5K into it over the years to make camping affordable. If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it... just don't need payments anymore.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 05:34 AM   #31
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
I work on my property so don't really use my clunker Ford for anything but towing my fifth wheel which is about the same length as yours but mine is lighter I think. I would not be into camping if I had to spend the bucks for a new camper or truck. I bought a low mileage work truck for $7K a few years ago and have put about $5K into it over the years to make camping affordable. If I can't pay cash, I don't buy it... just don't need payments anymore.
I get the no payments, it's a great feeling being debt free. It's biblical too.The borrower is slave to the lender. Everything we own now is paid off, except the DW's Passport. We have that money, it's just earning a far better interest rate in the market than the car's 0.9% interest rate is costing us. When it's time for my next truck, it will be cash and hopefully be my last one ever!
Old 11-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #32
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
That is AWESOME!!! Thank you! I am going to the specialty hardware store armed with this photo to get the same.
Me too! Sounds like something I should put in my spare parts bucket.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 01:17 PM   #33
Courser Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think you will like it. It softened our ride a lot. No tolerance stack up to cause slamming and banging.
There are issues....
I have to lay down on my usually wet tailgate to connect the safety cables when hitching and unhitching. I need to store a piece of plastic to lay on the tailgate when hitching.
Just like a bumper pull trailer, you have to be very close when hitching up. I line up on the backseat center headrest. Depth is hard to judge for me. Betty's legs are too short for her to look over in the bed to tell me when I'm "on it". That cargo camera was the one box that I missed checking when I ordered this truck.
My trailer pin weight is right at the 4,000# rated capacity, I have only aired the cushion bag once. I ran it up until the relief valve released. You may want to experiment with pressure.
I keep the hitch and the trailer ball well greased. On our last trip I was re-arranging generators in the truck bed and unknowingly brushed up against the greasy trailer ball. Grease on my jeans and shoes. I ordered a plastic slipover cover from Amazon for the 2 5/16" ball.
Let us know how it works for you.
Hi- we are wondering what psi you use for the Reese Goose Box. Thanks.
Former Horse Campers Ready for New Experiences!
Courser Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #34
gearhead

^^Since I am right on the max 4,000# max pin weight, I run it up until the air relief valve pops and go with that.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 02:57 PM   #35
RJS

I Love my Reese Goosebox hitch!

It is very easy to get 5th wheel connected and disconnected from the truck, and it is a very smooth ride. It takes just a couple of minutes to remove the Goose ball, and safety chain anchors out of the factory installed GMC puck system to get full use of the truck bed when I am not towing.

For my 2021 Cougar 29MBS with a GVWR of 11k lb. I purchased the 16k version of the hitch.

When I first installed the hitch it would not slide fully into the receiver because of an existing bracket welded inside the back of the receiver blocked it. After getting approval from Reese engineering (via Horizon Global) I made a “rounded” cut 1/2 inch by 1-1/2 inch on both sides of the hitch so it would slide past the existing bracket. That allowed the hitch to be mounted 2 inches higher in the receiver getting the 5th wheel more level when towing but still have the minimum 7" clearance between pickup walls and trailer. I also added 4 extra bolts that were not required on the hitch, but as the extra holes lined up I filled them . The extra bolts were also approved by Reese and they sent them to me so I could have matching hardware. Here is a picture of the cut on one side of the hitch and an inside view after installing the hitch showing how it now clears the bracket.
Attached Images

Reese 94716 Gooseneck RV Coupler - 16K
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #36
Brantel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJS View Post
I Love my Reese Goosebox hitch!

It is very easy to get 5th wheel connected and disconnected from the truck, and it is a very smooth ride. It takes just a couple of minutes to remove the Goose ball, and safety chain anchors out of the factory installed GMC puck system to get full use of the truck bed when I am not towing.

For my 2021 Cougar 29MBS with a GVWR of 11k lb. I purchased the 16k version of the hitch.

When I first installed the hitch it would not slide fully into the receiver because of an existing bracket welded inside the back of the receiver blocked it. After getting approval from Reese engineering (via Horizon Global) I made a “rounded” cut 1/2 inch by 1-1/2 inch on both sides of the hitch so it would slide past the existing bracket. That allowed the hitch to be mounted 2 inches higher in the receiver getting the 5th wheel more level when towing but still have the minimum 7" clearance between pickup walls and trailer. I also added 4 extra bolts that were not required on the hitch, but as the extra holes lined up I filled them . The extra bolts were also approved by Reese and they sent them to me so I could have matching hardware. Here is a picture of the cut on one side of the hitch and an inside view after installing the hitch showing how it now clears the bracket.
I would like to get mine a few inches higher as well but can't because of the same cross brace welded in the same place on my 5'ers wings.

I thought about doing this mode but was afraid that Reese would not be happy.
Brantel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:18 PM   #37
RJS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantel View Post
I would like to get mine a few inches higher as well but can't because of the same cross brace welded in the same place on my 5'ers wings.

I thought about doing this mode but was afraid that Reese would not be happy.
I figured no harm in asking and it was approved for me, so hope you also get approval. Below is the business card for the person that helped get approval for the change I recommended and ended up making to my hitch. Pete worked with the engineering group to get the approval for me as I did not want to void any warranty or cause any safety issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horizon Global - Pete Darling.png
Views:	62
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	38363  
Reese 94716 Gooseneck RV Coupler - 16K
RJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:29 PM   #38
atschneid

I have the gooseneck box installed on a 2020 cougar sgs27. I purchased it with it on already. Used. The only issues I have is getting lined up can be a pain. I use a magnet mount cb antenna for a guide and it works. The other issue is I need to add air to the bag every couple of days. I would like to know is this normal.
Tony
atschneid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:40 PM   #39
Dege

I took a Furion camera and made a bracket for it on the back of the bed cover box. I then extended the cable and plug it into the pickup 4 pin trailer hookup to power it. Gives me a great view from the drivers seat to line up on. I put a piece of tape on the Reese and when it hits the right spot in the camera I'm right over the ball. Works like a champ.
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #40
atschneid

Good idea, does your goosebox loose air?
atschneid is offline   Reply With Quote