Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
Stacyismetoo

Toy hauler sofa bed question

I have a strange question…anyone know the weight limit for the couches that turn into a bed in the toy hauler garage?
Stacyismetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Seems I remember seeing a red/white decal on the bedframe on a HappyJack bed system several years ago. I could be completely wrong and it could have been on something else even in a different trailer... But, I'd take a careful look at the underside of the frames and see if there's a decal with weight limits.

According to the HappyJack website, it's 600 lbs static and 450 lbs dynamic (whatever that really means).... https://happijac.com/bed-lifts.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:30 PM   #3
LHaven

Even if there's a decal with just the manufacturer and model, you can ask the manufacturer.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:45 PM   #4
Stacyismetoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Seems I remember seeing a red/white decal on the bedframe on a HappyJack bed system several years ago. I could be completely wrong and it could have been on something else even in a different trailer... But, I'd take a careful look at the underside of the frames and see if there's a decal with weight limits.

According to the HappyJack website, it's 600 lbs static and 450 lbs dynamic (whatever that really means).... https://happijac.com/bed-lifts.html
Thanks…I’ll look again. I didn’t see anything but I’ll give it a more thorough look…
RV’er since 2000!
Old 11-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyismetoo View Post
Trying to get an answer from Keystone is like pulling teeth. And unfortunately every time I’ve called to ask a question they have no idea how to answer. I was hoping someone would answer with like a buddy of theirs slept on theirs one time and the dudes like 300# and was just fine…
All Keystone does is buy Lippert parts and install them in Keystone toy haulers. If you want to know specifics about the "Keystone engineering and installation" ask Keystone. If you want to know specifics about the Dometic toilet, the Coleman air conditioner, the Suburban furnace or the Lippert bed system, ask those manufacturers. They're the ones that conceived, engineered, designed and built their product.... They, not Keystone are the experts on the "parts Keystone installs".....

Sort of like asking Ford what temperature Michelin LTX tires are heated to during vulcanization.... or asking Ford what brand capacitors are installed in the B&O stereo system. If you want "facts" ask Michelin or B&O, not Ford.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #6
Stacyismetoo

Also just to clarify though my question is on the sofa to bed part, not the top bed that comes down…we took that foam mattress off there and used it on our bed as a mattress topper and are using that area for storage. We have friends staying with us on our next trip and want to be sure they are comfortable sleeping on the sofa fold out bed
RV’er since 2000!
Old 11-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #7
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyismetoo View Post
Also just to clarify though my question is on the sofa to bed part, not the top bed that comes down…we took that foam mattress off there and used it on our bed as a mattress topper and are using that area for storage. We have friends staying with us on our next trip and want to be sure they are comfortable sleeping on the sofa fold out bed
Can't help with the weight limits, but if it's like most of the convertible couches in RVs "comfortable" would not be used to describe them.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:30 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn’t use comfort and weight bearing capacity interchangeably. A rock has a much higher load capacity than any mattress. As for comfort, I haven't seen a single OEM bed in a trailer that's comfortable. Seems to me that the further that bed is from a dedicated bed (such as a jack knife sofa, foldnout sleeper sofa, dinette booth, etc.) the less comfortable.

Now if your guests are let's say a "plus size" couple then perhaps some "added support" is called for. We had a couple stay with us once that collectivly I'd guess were 700 lbs. or more. They slept on a pull out sofa. I knew these folks would never sleep in our bed and let us sleep on the sofa as they would see it as an inconvenience to us. So I fashioned a couple of 2" x 4" trusses to go under the bed frame and a peice of 3/8" plywood ripped into 2' wide sections to go ontop of the frame. We explained that it made the bed "more comfortable" and it was left at that.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, toy hauler