Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-15-2021, 05:04 AM   #21
German Shepherd Guy

We just had to fill up our 1000 gl tank for the farm. Normally we order and within 5 days it is filled. (Due to some old lines needing replaced we did not fill up in the summer as is our normal) Took 3 weeks for the truck to come. Manpower shortages. They were working the devil out of the one guy they still had that knew the routes and I was afraid he would just hang it up too. Fortunately he knew how much us folks in the outback rely on him so he's hanging in there. I paid more for propane this year than I have ever paid. I think it was 3.50 a gallon. Might as well be a tank of gasoline. I run 30lb tanks on the TT. I know they are heavier but I like having the extra propane "just in case."

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 05:24 AM   #22
Texas Steve

I topped off 2 20 pound tanks yesterday. One was close to empty and the other about half. Propane was $4.03 per gallon at my local U-Haul. Sam price as 6 months ago.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #23
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
Yeah, I've also heard that a propane shortage is coming.......
I've also heard a 13 year old boy, Putnam County Florida, was recently charged with a 2nd degree felony for spreading rumors at school, that his school, was going to shot up/attacked at a certain time and date. He was told to stop it, he didn't and was charged. Rumors are just that, rumors. Not worth repeating.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
I've also heard a 13 year old boy, Putnam County Florida, was recently charged with a 2nd degree felony for spreading rumors at school, that his school, was going to shot up/attacked at a certain time and date. He was told to stop it, he didn't and was charged.
That's no different than any news source you care to listen to or watch!!!!
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" says Chicken Little.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:44 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
That's a great sale price for Ace Hardware! Had to fill an empty 30# at Ace (Allegan MI) late Sept, was around $25, guy said it was really empty. Last trip of the year and quite cold with the other tank very low and wasn't going to risk running out. Haven't noticed prices going up on the exchange cages you see everywhere either.

Where I live is right in the middle of one of the largest oil/gas production areas in the country but it doesn't mean much. About 3 weeks ago I went in to exchange a 20lb. tank before we left. What used to be $14 was $20 then. Here in FL after we arrived (3 weeks later) checked exchange prices here and they are $24.99. Used to be $14.99. It's obvious some of the "levers" being pulled are having a negative effect on all of us financially.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 08:15 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Propane pricing is influenced by local issues, local taxes on the product and the amount of profit the seller wants to make on the sale. Price per gallon or price per pound will vary significantly from area to area and from state to state, just like gasoline or diesel prices.

Here's a photo of the current newspaper ad for the ACE Hardware I was talking about in a previous post. It's about 15 miles from our house and we shop there frequently. Current price at Gaylord Tractor Supply (15 miles in the opposite direction) currently is 4.27/gallon https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-by-the-gallon TSC's price was 1.79/gallon in August of this year when I filled our two 30 pound tanks.

The ACE Hardware "breakdown by gallon/pound is:

20 lb=1.798/gal 0.4495/pound
30 lb=1.865/gal 0.4663/pound
40 lb=2.498/gal 0.4999/pound
100lb=2.396/gal 0.5999/pound

As you can see, the price at TSC (normally one of the cheapest places to refill propane tanks is almost two and a half times more per gallon. The TSC website "price per gallon" is updated frequently, sometimes as often as 2 or 3 times a day, just like the price of gas or diesel at local gas stations.

At $3.50/gal (the price German Shephard Guy paid) a 20 pound tank would cost $17.50 compared to the sale price of $8.99.

Quite a difference when using large amounts of propane to heat a home or an RV for an entire winter.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PROPANE SALE PRICES 11 15 2021.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	37090  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

$4.37/gal. At TSC by me. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...-by-the-gallon
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 05:15 AM   #28
friz

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
That's no different than any news source you care to listen to or watch!!!!
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" says Chicken Little.
Well that is as clear as mud, to me. You may have missed the point. It was not about propane or shooting up a school. It was about starting or passing rumors as in " I've also heard".
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by friz View Post
Well that is as clear as mud, to me. You may have missed the point. It was not about propane or shooting up a school. It was about starting or passing rumors as in " I've also heard".
No! I got it!
Just like ALL the news today!
Half truths & statements taken out of context, to put simply a bunch of BS!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

There's a significant difference in "NEWS REPORTING" and "JOURNALISM"...

News reporting is telling the facts as accurately as possible and those hearing the facts form their own opinion.

Journalism is telling enough of the facts to support what you want those hearing your version of the facts to believe what you're telling them...

IMO, the "shift to journalism" is much like the shift from gauges to idiot lights, electric windows, and a long list of other "make it more convenient so I don't have to think".....

Seems we get exactly what we pay for, journalism so we don't have to think or apply our own logic to interpret the facts.... an example is "mostly peaceful protests" (journalism) while standing in front of a burning building, set on fire by an arsonist in a riot (facts)...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:08 AM   #31
notanlines

I can't agree more about what has been said about 'newsman' and 'journalists.' Two days before a hurricane reaches land your favorite 'journalist', Jim Cantore, drama-queen extraordinaire, steps off the airplane and goes to work in his entertaining ways telling you about how you and yours are about to be blown all the way to Thunder Bay, Ontario. All this time he is wading knee-deep in the Gulf of Mexico with swirling winds all around.
While on the other channel, hurricane news director Ken Graham at the NWS is giving you the latest facts without all the journalistic hoopla.
Tell us, pray, which program will have more watchers and sell more merchandise and services?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:03 AM   #32
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I can't agree more about what has been said about 'newsman' and 'journalists.' Two days before a hurricane reaches land your favorite 'journalist', Jim Cantore, drama-queen extraordinaire, steps off the airplane and goes to work in his entertaining ways telling you about how you and yours are about to be blown all the way to Thunder Bay, Ontario. All this time he is wading knee-deep in the Gulf of Mexico with swirling winds all around.
While on the other channel, hurricane news director Ken Graham at the NWS is giving you the latest facts without all the journalistic hoopla.
Tell us, pray, which program will have more watchers and sell more merchandise and services?
Hanging on to a pole in Galveston during a hurricane was a career moment for Dan Rather. Apparently all TV wanta be stars have to duplicate. See where Dan Rather ultimately landed and why?
We are lazy. We mostly get what we want and ask for.
I think it's catching up to us.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #33
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
$4.47 in Liberty Texas. Maybe 15 miles from Mont Belveiu, the propane caipitol of the universe. Go figure.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane