Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #61
LynneV

About 10 years ago my gardner in California asked for more money monthly because they passed a law banning gas powered tools. He bought them. That lasted about 2 months and he went back to gas powered.
No one is going to call the cops who wouldn’t show up anyway. It is a toothless law

2008 Fuzion 393
LynneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:06 AM   #62
chuckster57
Site Team

As I posted way earlier, gas powered tools aren’t being banned- the sale of NEW ones are. It doesn’t say anything about continued use of gas powered equipment.

Just like the other edict about gas powered vehicles, just the SALE OF NEW ones.

Never said I agreed with any of this, just want to remind people what the “rule” is.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

As a reminder to how ridiculous this ban is (and I may have mentioned this before) -

Came into the park yesterday and the mtce. guy was mowing a campsite. DW said "you can't even hear that mower". I said yep, it's a battery powered mower. Lasts about 20 minutes and he has to mow 100 sites so they never get done and.....he uses a battery powered weed eater too!

When we were here summer before last those same two tools were being used by a different mtce. guy. Saw him working one day "so quietly" beside the trailer. 15 minutes later he was gone and the mower/weedeater were just thrown on the ground in the calf high grass. He came back a while later so went to visit with him and asked if there was a problem; yes there is - these tools with the batteries. I get one lot done and they have to charge for most of the day after. Told him to put them over there in front of the tires of that big red truck, he could say they died and he was going to come back and I could say I'm just old and blind and didn't see them....but we didn't.

Ahh progress?....or whatever you want to call it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #64
chuckster57
Site Team

Just got my latest email from RVDA. CARB is including generators installed in RV’s in the ban, Hearing is 12/9 via zoom. Obviously RVDA and cal rv dealers are opposing this, let’s see what they say. I’m not holding out a lot of hope.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:00 PM   #65
msubobcats

Ask me why I LOVE IDAHO...
msubobcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #66
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
As I posted way earlier, gas powered tools aren’t being banned- the sale of NEW ones are. It doesn’t say anything about continued use of gas powered equipment.

Just like the other edict about gas powered vehicles, just the SALE OF NEW ones.

Never said I agreed with any of this, just want to remind people what the “rule” is.
Maybe just me, but I'd be stocking up now on gas powered generators, edgers, weedeaters, and lawn mowers.
Keep those receipts!!
Or, maybe I should open a lawn mower shop in Nevada??
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:41 PM   #67
travelin texans

Next they'll be banning the anal release of methane gas (better known as cow farts) from farm critters.
Oh! Wait! They're all vegetarians or vegans so not any farm critters!
Unfortunately from my experience too many of those folks pulling up stakes heading to places like Arizona & Texas bringing those ridiculous ideas with them trying to ruin those states.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 02:38 AM   #68
RickV

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Next they'll be banning the anal release of methane gas (better known as cow farts) from farm critters.
Unfortunately from my experience too many of those folks pulling up stakes heading to places like Arizona & Texas bringing those ridiculous ideas with them trying to ruin those states.
Have friends in Idaho and Montana that say same thing is happening there from Oregon and Washington. The are like a Swarm of Locusts. We have it happening in Florida too.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:28 AM   #69
German Shepherd Guy

I dunno Danny, I use a cordless saw and drill all the time and for really big jobs. Built two shops and a kennel building. That said I also use a cordless trimmer. For all those machines I have extra batteries that are in the charger while I am working. I think the park management has just not done their job in supplying mtce. guys with sufficient battery power. I use my trimmer on over an acre of maintained ground and at least mine last a lot longer than 20 minutes. But then every situation is different.

I am getting a cordless 16" chain-saw this year too. I usually cut 4 to 5 cords each fall for winter. (Damn but I am getting too old for that also)

I went online and read the law and an interview with Marc Berman who co-wrote the bill. Ban would take effect in 2028 IF ( the emphasis is mine) the technology is up to it. Thing is the determination would be in the hands of the C.A.R.B. So the ban seems to be more of a push to developers and innovators than a real ban but not sure I would like the final say in the hands of an agency. The legislature can also over-rule CARB if they do not feel the technology is there by 2028. I live off of the grid and a "zero emission" generator that would run my house and shop in an emergency would currently be as big as my "zero emission" system now is. NOT portable. Maybe it is pushes like this that will help develop smaller, more powerful, systems though.
Maybe not, but in a world where tornado ally is shifting east and a tornado can be 120 miles long, might be worth investigating and not just writing off to an insane idea. One of my dearest friends grew up in Mayfield so I have been following the disaster closely.

JMO and I could be wrong.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 07:45 AM   #70
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
I dunno Danny, I use a cordless saw and drill all the time and for really big jobs. Built two shops and a kennel building. That said I also use a cordless trimmer. For all those machines I have extra batteries that are in the charger while I am working. I think the park management has just not done their job in supplying mtce. guys with sufficient battery power. I use my trimmer on over an acre of maintained ground and at least mine last a lot longer than 20 minutes. But then every situation is different.

I am getting a cordless 16" chain-saw this year too. I usually cut 4 to 5 cords each fall for winter. (Damn but I am getting too old for that also)

I went online and read the law and an interview with Marc Berman who co-wrote the bill. Ban would take effect in 2028 IF ( the emphasis is mine) the technology is up to it. Thing is the determination would be in the hands of the C.A.R.B. So the ban seems to be more of a push to developers and innovators than a real ban but not sure I would like the final say in the hands of an agency. The legislature can also over-rule CARB if they do not feel the technology is there by 2028. I live off of the grid and a "zero emission" generator that would run my house and shop in an emergency would currently be as big as my "zero emission" system now is. NOT portable. Maybe it is pushes like this that will help develop smaller, more powerful, systems though.
Maybe not, but in a world where tornado ally is shifting east and a tornado can be 120 miles long, might be worth investigating and not just writing off to an insane idea. One of my dearest friends grew up in Mayfield so I have been following the disaster closely.

JMO and I could be wrong.
I have a shop full of battery powered tools as well that are used daily. If the battery goes dead while using them I grab a fully charged one from the charger on the wall, swap them out & keep working.
Cruising along in my EV the battery dies I'm dead in the water til help arrives or if lucky am sitting somewhere for however long it takes to recharge so I can be back in my way, there's not another battery charging on the wall to swap out.
It was suggested the use of battery powered generators, if that's not an oxymoron. Say there's another "snowmagedon" in Texas, power is off for days/weeks, how long is a battery powered generator going to last before needing a fossil fuel to recharge IT?
I guess we could go back to open fires & candlelight! NO then we'd have to capture the smoke & burn something beside wood as it comes from trees.
Sorry for the rant!
But this stuff is bordering on ABSOLUTELY ridiculous thinking by someone!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-17-2021, 08:11 AM   #71
flybouy
Site Team

I find the current buzzword "climate change" interesting as " global warming" was pretty much a bust. Yes, the earth is going thru "climate changes" every since it was created so for those that want to reset it where does that stop? Should we go back to the ice age or aim for resurrecting the dinosaurs? I'm no expert on this stuff but it seems to me that the "experts" can come to any conclusion that the folks that are paying them want. As with most things, follow the money.

As for fossil fuel powered lawn equipment that will and does work on the scale of most homeowners. For a lawn service I can't see it at this time. The lawn services I see in our neighborhood have crews of 3 to 5 that knock out dozens of residences a day. Then there's the commercial property crews that may work a 100 + acres a day. So what's tha alternative? A bunch of F150 hybrids running a bed full of battery chargers?

Calofornia has been leading the emissions band for decades and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I'm all for a clean environment but I think a rational look at the econimics is in order. Restricting ourselves out of buisness while the otherside of the world ignores the environmental impacts and uses our money to pollute is not the answer. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:18 AM   #72
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Capturing the gas emissions from Dairy cows was actually discussed here in Ca some years back. Looks like it’s being studied:
https://www.springwise.com/methane-b...green%20energy.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #73
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Capturing the gas emissions from Dairy cows was actually discussed here in Ca some years back. Looks like it’s being studied:
https://www.springwise.com/methane-b...green%20energy.
There's a job for someone;
WANTED EXPERIENCED COW FART CATCHER!
Replacement undetermined
Old 12-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #74
JRTJH
Site Team

Hmmmm......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOG  BUBBLES.jpg
Views:	62