Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2021, 08:56 AM   #1
crushkin

2013 Avalanche 295RL Solar Install

I have a 2013 Keystone Avalanche 295RL 5th wheel trailer, and am planning on installing solar power. My question is if anyone has experience running the wires from the roof to either the battery compartment of the power converter and I want to be sure where the best place is to route the wires. The power converter is located on the Kitchen island on the other side of the sink as you walk into the trailer.

Thank you
crushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #2
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushkin View Post
I have a 2013 Keystone Avalanche 295RL 5th wheel trailer, and am planning on installing solar power. My question is if anyone has experience running the wires from the roof to either the battery compartment of the power converter and I want to be sure where the best place is to route the wires. The power converter is located on the Kitchen island on the other side of the sink as you walk into the trailer.

Thank you

Don't take this the wrong way but you might want to do some more research or have a professional install your solar.

The solar panel wiring goes to a solar charge controller and then from the charge controller to your batteries. It does not connect in any way to your converter or main breaker panel.

The location of the charge controller is completely based on best fit for your particular trailer. (typically located in the passthrough basement)
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
crushkin

I do understand the components needed for the solar install, but want to be very careful that I choose the best route for the wiring before attempting to pull the wires. Unfortunately, my trailer wasn't prewired for solar.
crushkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

A lot depends on where your going to install the charge controller. I have installed numerous solar systems in trailers that were not prewired.

I have opened up walls, drilled from the inside through the roof and then used plates designed for running solar cables. Look your roof over, see where the panels will fit and the figure out where your going to put the controller. After that it’s a snap.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 11:52 AM   #5
roadglide

My lay out allowed access into Bathroom fan cover in between the wall . I used a welding rod. I sharpened the rod and used it as a flex drill bit it drilled good through the 2x4 roof . The same wall as the controls come to think about it’s the only 4 inch in the camper . I stated from the top Into wall down thru the storage area into the battery boxes .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar